The Photo Thread

SlowMo

6 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Stopped by the TESLA Fremont factory while I was out and about today!

I had a tour of that factory last year. Someone at my company had a hook up there so a group of us went.

• Like 3

Having a great ride in warm weather. I'm always shocked by how touchy some riders are to my posts. Hope you get out and ride yourselves.

IMG-20200507-154714243.jpg

Screenshot-20200507-154651.png

Flowers planted outside the Brigham and Women's

flowers at 45 Francis St. , Boston

flowers at 45 Francis St. , Boston by Bob Eisenman
https://www.viewbug.com/photo/89205969

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Here you go @Unventor. Steampunk KS S18. ;)

49874118263_69c728d7e0_b.jpg

Now that is more like your style. Much more I think.

But you forgot the speaker I think. It might fit on a EUC trailer. Like on of thos big public announcement horns from Blues brothers. Would suit your Kiss music 😁

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 1:04 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Thanks...I got the idea from an app I've been using called 'PhotoPills'

Screenshot-20200429-070105.png

Ahh nice it is called the golden hour. It might differ depending where you are and what time of the year. But is short it is the timeframe around sunset and sunrise. At this point sundays is looking more yellow/red due to entering atmosphere at an angle. It give a warm glow to the pictures. It is also a time film studios don't shoot (outside or window clips) due to it is almost impossible to calibrate colour tones to normal. Your pictures a perfect examples. 

It is explaing in this clip. Tutorial made by Canon to promote better pictures.

Clip above is used to promote product but it explain why you get such sweet looking pictures (with any camera). And it something that fit right into how I have seen pictures from you in the past @Bob Eisenman. I hope you make more to share in future.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Clip above is used to promote product

Nice tutorial...

My sunrise pics were shot at f11 too but at iso 200. It was early, kind of cold, fingers a bit numb, tripod used and with the camera histogram set as centered it was looking ok.

For composition I chose to keep the left as the side of the dark looking island and the right was the lighthouse. The lens was 75 to 300 mm set to 75mm.

The result using daylight white balance became a sort of 'down into the haze and orange glow' because that's what the sensor sees. The image viewing device affects the amount of orange too.

20200429044032-IMG-1620.jpg

IMG-20200509-174607234.jpg

After looking at the metadata (4:40:32) I realized after the photo shoot that my camera was set an hour off synchronized correctly in minutes with the smartphone but needing a tweek on the camera to use the correct hour.🙄🤫🤭

I used the zoom of the lens to try an up closer of the lighthouse which is less orange because the sun wasn't quite above the horizon yet. It was 5:19 AM and in the 'blue hour'.

20200429041944-IMG-1604.jpg

Screenshot-20200509-182957.png

These were f11, iso 200 with shutter speed set by the camera using 'aperture priority' after quickly deciding I liked the results. I chose f11 based on an online tutorial suggestion. The tutorial you referenced uses f11 too.😁

Another online tutorial said 'shoot wide' for sunrises/sunsets. I put the 18-55mm lens on after the sun was up and shot once in aperture priority, f11, iso200 (same as the others) but in portrait mode to include the blue sky. The Gotway Monster is in the foreground

20200429050150-IMG-1657.jpg

but processing the image to see it affects the image quality.  I left it out of this one.

20200429045958-IMG-1653-2.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.

PhotoPills also gives the short time frames for planning 'blue hour' photos too.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Caught these moody shots on this morning's ride, after climbing to the top of Te Mata Peak up through a blanket of fog and mist!

TMP3.jpg

THIS deserves its own post. Amazing and thank you!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

THIS deserves its own post. Amazing and thank you!

Thank you for the kind words regarding this shot.  I do agree with how amazing this photo turned out and have to say it is definitely my favourite too!

Just for you, @ShanesPlanet I have posted a higher res 3MB version here (the original, before resizing is around 8MB)

TMP3.5.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

@Marty Backehas frequently commented about the lack of breath taking mountain views in my local New England area in Massachusetts. True... there are tall (6288 ft) mountains in New Hampshire, some 150 miles away, but not in the Boston area.

The New England geology  and topology , extending as far away as Mount Royal, Montreal, is based on the geologically old movement of a continental plate over a magma 'hotspot' beneath the Earth's surface. It is documented by geologists as having created the submerged New England Seamount chain (some 4000 meters tall) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Seamounts

It was also responsible for the creation of the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

The big ones (mountains) are submerged off the continental shelf.

220px-NE-seamounts.jpg

Edited by Bob Eisenman

On 4/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, travsformation said:

Wow, stunning pictures

@Unventorconveys the concern that Canon has about imaging directly into the sun with a telephoto lens. The magnification used can cause image sensor burnout or worse. An appropriate filter ( neutral density?) should be used to protect the sensor. 

Screenshot-20200510-013229.png

I used a 'photography school of the internet' approach at f11 for the shots.

Screenshot-20200510-014027.png

Better sources of information exist from Canon and other sources.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2