Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

Isn't there a thick, metallic heat sink between/shielding the control board and battery packs?

It was approximately twenty seconds between initial popping noises and smoke, to the flamethrower fire.

Could a burning control board generate and transfer enough heat, in twenty seconds, to cause thermal runaway in the battery packs?  

The cells are encased in the aluminium boxes.

40 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

This year I'm going to build something on my brick & concrete terrace to isolate the wheels in.

If nothing else, this is something every owner of a large Li Ion pack should be considering. Pretty much every Li Ion battery system has had at least 1 or 2 units catch fire—laptops, phones, hoverboards, one wheels, wheels, cars, commercial airplanes, bikes, scooters. While it's a pretty safe energy storage medium, large Li Ion packs store so much energy that they are very very dangerous when enough things go wrong.

We want (demand?) our wheel manufacturers to do better and avoid these kinds of incidents, but we have responsibilities as owners too. Especially when we know from experience that as a group the manufacturers of EUCs don't have a stellar track record.

Try to make certain that it's possible to get people out of danger before things get worse. Get all the people out and away, then and only then worry about the fire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tasku said:

Made me wonder if metallic big bin would be good enough to dump device into with help of fireblankets. Then fill it (the trashbin) with water like the firemen did.

When I called the local fire Marshal, he said to put the batteries in the parking lot with sand on top and then cover it with a metal bin. He told me that thermal runaway can only be slowed down. So best thing to do is protect the area from the flames and projectile cells. Putting a wheel in a trash bin with water or sand will help contain the fire but not necessarily extinguish it.

I had two 320wh KS packs that were submerged for about 3 minutes in fresh water. 3 hours later, one pack started to smoke so I threw it in a bucket of water. Called the fire Marshal and followed the directions above. When I went back to the parking lot hours later, someone had uncovered my "burial" either out of curiosity or they saw it on fire and tried to douse it with water. I noticed one pack was still intact and left them both there. Early in the morning the next day, both packs were burned. The second pack must have burst later that night. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Could a burning control board generate and transfer enough heat, in twenty seconds, to cause thermal runaway in the battery packs?  

The cells are encased in the aluminium boxes.

Aluminum is a great thermal conductor (used as heat sinks). But the fact that the two metal boxes are separated from each other buy a couple inches (like 5-7) with the suspension fully extended seems like decent enough separation. Maybe the trolley handle? Heat transfer seems unlikely. Probably more of a current transfer.

I haven't studied the tear downs of the S20, but considering most wheels that have had a mother board failure have not caused the packs to burn, I think there might be something unique to the S20 layout that helped transmit either the heat (unlikely) or the current to the packs.

Edited by FlyboyEUC

37 minutes ago, Paul A said:

It was approximately twenty seconds between initial popping noises and smoke, to the flamethrower fire.

<speculation>

I pondered that too. The long duration between popcorn (and light smoke) and cell venting hints that perhaps the battery system was shorted by a failure in the control board but the short circuit protection of the BMS did not work before one or more of the cells started down the path to thermal runaway. It doesn't seem like there was enough 'fire' from just the control board to have heated the battery pack to failure.

I think the top pack was cooked by the fire in the bottom pack, just from the way the video played out.

The post-fire picture of the control board is missing 1 of the 4 160V caps... Hsaing said UStride said (paraphrasing) he thought it popped, like a cap blowing up. It looks like that might have happened?

I don't know, but I think KS has two things they need to look at carefully: if the cap popped, why did it pop, and perhaps more important… if the control board failure shorted the battery leads why didn't the BMS disconnect the battery pack?

</speculation>

The battery pack containment is a good thing and a bad thing... fiery missiles didn't come forth, but because they had nowhere to go they stayed packed nice and tightly where they could spread their joy to other cells and ensure complete involvement of the entire pack.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

Was finishing my last delivery at @1:20am on 3/28 when I took a picture of the location where it happened. Street sweepers haven't even got to it yet ;)

IMG_0031-min.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason H said:

Tragic for the whole community!

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Unacceptable and extremely disappointing. For fuck's sake.

I couldnt agree more. This is becoming genuinely problematic. With every such fire a blanket ban of EUC is coming a step closer. This community is not nearly big or influential enough to give any politician pause who feels the need to be seen "doing something"... like giving EUCs the Hoverboard treatment.

• Like 2

U-Stride, the rider who was riding the S20 published his video.
The wheel over-powered and cut-out on a hard breaking as he was testing the acceleration/braking torque limits.

What I can see in the video:

• Wheel is over-powered, dips backwards and stabilizes backwards at a fixed angle for an instant
  • You can hear a sound, like something popping. I initially thought it was the kickstand against the ground but it might not.
  • Wheel and rider fall after that, no recovery

U-Strides describes later how he heard a pop just earlier which allowed him to kind of jump off the wheel, but you can't hear it in the video.

With timestamp for the crash:

Edited by supercurio

I think the @supercurio post, above has the correct perspective.  It's likely the battery manufacturer will direct attention to battery specifications including peak charge/discharge current and battery case protection.  EUC manufacturers sell EUCs based on EUC performance; when current is limited to battery specifications EUC performance is limited compared to instances that violate battery specifications.

Inmotion sent the V12 to production without an electrical engineering review that would have caught the MOSFET specifications on the motor controller.  Kingsong sent the S20 to production without an engineering review of the batteries that would have caught every point mentioned in the @supercurio post, above.

Manufacturers and consumers each have roles in technology development.  I'll support a manufacturer based on positive contributions to the process but tell the world about stupidity that causes chemical fires, motor-controller failures and whatever disaster happens next.

I'm waiting for each word Kingsong says next.  Accurate, complete and transparent explanations are on-track but NOTHING changes the reality that Kingsong moved the S20 to production without doing a technical review.

For clarity - Lithium battery fires don't spread in the same way as oxygen-based fires.  Battery Manufacturers will confirm that it's O.K. to light a match - but god help you if you violate the specifications.

• Like 3

This is the advice we should be giving newbies who want help choosing a wheel

6 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

This is exactly why I have long not been an earlier adopter. Let a few iterations pass and pick from what has proven itself.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Seba said:

...and this is why I recently bought an 18XL to be a successor of my 18XL. And in light of all recent incidents and my own experiences with S20, I'm happy that once again I choose a well known, matured, tested and absolutely reliable wheel.

I've been actually pondering the same. I had to buy a 16X as a spare wheel when my V11 was broken all the time and spare parts took months to arrive. V11 is now sold as I was planning to get the S20. Now we need a longer range wheel for my spouse and I really regret selling the trusty 18XL. I'm planning to buy one again for this season. 

This fire did not cause distrust for S20 but makes it certain a decent version of it will not be widely available for this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2