Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

21 hours ago, Seba said:

...and this is why I recently bought an 18XL to be a successor of my 18XL. And in light of all recent incidents and my own experiences with S20, I'm happy that once again I choose a well known, matured, tested and absolutely reliable wheel.

Your choice is very intriguing to me. You already have a V11, yet you recently bought a 18XL to replace an existing 18XL.

Looking at your profile, you obviously like Kingsong. And if I am not mistaken, you have said in your posts that you like the quality of Kingsong controller boards. So I get that. Since your most powerful wheels are the 18XL, and the V11, speeds above 45-ish kph is probably not important to you.

I am wondering whether you bought the 18XL the 2nd time is because there is something still missing from the V11 that you still like on the 18XL? Is it just because of reliability, or is there more to it?

I have never ridden a 18XL before, so I don't know how it rides. There must be something really special about it.

As for me, I started on a T3, which I still like very much. I got a 2nd wheel primarily because the bike routes that I ride include plenty of bumpy side streets that greatly reduce my speeds when I am on the T3. So hence, logically I should have bought a suspension wheel. As it turns out, I didn't. I was close to buying the V11, but at the last minute, I decided I wanted more headroom, and to postpone buying suspension wheel until the 2nd generation. I bought the V12 instead (although the 18XL was always on my mind). The V12 has a more refined and premium feel to it then the T3. Using car analogy to contrast the two, I would say, to me anyway, the V12 feels like I am driving an Audi S4, whereas, the T3, a Honda Accord. When the tuning is set right, the V12 is a lot more compliant over bumps than the T3. If it wasn't for the mosfet debacle, the V12 works well for me.

Going back to your purchasing of the 18XL the 2nd time, is the 18XL good enough on bumpy roads that you would prefer it over the V11 for your commute? And you use your V11 primarily for offroad? Or is reliability also a factor in the equation? Just curious? Thanks.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

The S20 was fully charged initially.

U-Stride was conducting this max acceleration/max breaking stress test on a nearly full charge, the cut-out happened 1:15 after the beginning of the ride.
Enough to drain the battery a little but not that much.

It's frankly a bad idea to repeat hard braking test on a nearly full battery and with any wheel.
The voltage from regen can shoot way beyond the 126V spec in that case.

It changes my perspective a bit, to me there's a component of user error here.

It looked like his max accel / max braking stress cycle was becoming more frequent just before the cutout too. It looked to me like he was doing a pendulum type stress test, but at speed as oppose to stationary. Perhaps this type of user-error induced stress test can become his stress test trademark, not unlike Overheat Hill stress test for Marty, except Marty does pause when the euc gets close to overheating.

Nasty outcome, but no one got hurt, and huge flaws exposed, after all. Mind you, don't know if he can repeat such tests again without getting hurt in the future. 

Edited by techyiam

13 minutes ago, Cress said:

eWheels Support <support@ewheels.com>
To:richard cress
Cc:Ewheels Support
Mon, Mar 28 at 11:37 AM
Hello Richard,

Yes, it's a total fiasco, 100% King Song's fault. For the past year, I've been trying to have them have the whole system evaluated by a 3rd party, particularly the battery packs; it's the typical situation where these manufacturers think that they have all the answers, fail to understand risk complexity, and here we are...  

The outcome of this disaster is that it now gives us a better negotiating hand for using high-powered cells, outsource pack production, require our own battery stress testing plan, battery pack certification & more extensive reviewer testing.

Right there tells me not only not to buy first batches, but also not to buy any batch until all important flaws are uncovered, and are properly fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fryman said:

Can we get another S20 tester to test their wheel with the same riding style?

Please!

And if it's the same configuration as the demo wheel that burned, retrofit additional, lower-rating fuses in the battery wires. 
A controller failed. And then the pack burned. Let's study them separately, so the evidence is not all destroyed next time. 

2 hours ago, Seba said:

...and this is why I recently bought an 18XL to be a successor of my 18XL. And in light of all recent incidents and my own experiences with S20, I'm happy that once again I choose a well known, matured, tested and absolutely reliable wheel.

Sadly buying an older "proven" wheel doesnt protect you from the manufacturer secretly switching to cheaper components, cutting quality control measures or some supplier cutting corners and selling inferior, faulty or fake parts to KingSong. I remember reading that there recently was a ton of issues with the Inmotion V10F.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, supercurio said:

In any case, this failure didn't happen randomly: it's directly connected to hard braking on near-full battery IMHO.

Unless they had a different charger than what everyone received with their S20, they would have only been able to charge to 96%. Something else to think about

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Please!

And if it's the same configuration as the demo wheel that burned, retrofit additional, lower-rating fuses in the battery wires. 
A controller failed. And then the pack burned. Let's study them separately, so the evidence is not all destroyed next time. 

Have EUC World running and save the data.

• Like 2

Lots of news, R&D, investment, pilot production etc, in the space of solid state batteries.

Major car and electronic companies all racing for breakthroughs and market dominance.

Fall safe will eventuate.

Consumers want everything and now.

18 minutes ago, fryman said:

Unless they had a different charger than what everyone received with their S20, they would have only been able to charge to 96%. Something else to think about

On hard braking, the system voltage can easily pear 2V+, so the wheel doesn't necessarily have to be charged to 4.2V/cell. to reach 126V+ system voltage or quite a bit more.
That's also by pushing significant currents as well.

Edited by supercurio

9 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Considering the cells by themselves, there is no strict threshold voltage after which they suddenly burn. 4.2V is a safe charging guideline, but real trouble doesn't start until well beyond 5V. And I've personally taken M50T's to 6V per cell, without causing venting. 

@RagingGrandpaYes I agree with you, cells won't burst in flames if they're charged a bit over 4.2V, especially if not at full capacity at the time.

I only meant as an answer to @fryman that yes the controller can be pushed to higher voltages than 126V briefly during hard braking even if the charger provided is only charging the packs to 125V.

Heating is always a concern, during discharge and charging. But this S20 fire was only a few minutes into UStride's first test ride, on a cold day. I find it hard to believe that there was enough stress to the system to significantly heat the cells, in this case.

Agree also very doubtful that it would be cells overheating with a bit of load in, but not that much in less than 1:30

Also bear in mind, there is very little regeneration braking available at low speeds. Instead, the controller is applying battery current to create reverse torque, the same as it would do to drive the motor in reverse. This "plug braking" mode is discharging the pack, not recharging it. A voltage recording would help illustrate this... but if we consider aggressive braking from 20mph, at the beginning it's mostly regen, and at the end it's mostly reverse-drive. 
Pendulum maneuvers (all below 10mph) have almost no regen.

Yes I know it exists, although it's usually not reflected much in phase amp (can't?) or battery amps on KS wheels.
It would be really cool to see the ratio of energy/regen/plug braking happening on real-time data.

Including to optimize your speed when you want max regen going downhill.

So the only 'overvoltage' concern when the system has a momentary transient above 130V is: the electronic components. But there were no obvious problems with S20's hardware design: main capacitors rated to 160V... FETs to 150V... 

Yes that's the one I'm thinking about.

I read somewhere that the feedback from KS was that here's a chip on the board recording data and that it looked intact, so they might be able to extract telemetry from it.
First time I heard it mentioned. I hope it's true tho!

My opinion, echoing others: this looks like an overcurrent (and therefore local overheating) problem in the controller. Not overvoltage; and not related to pack temperature. And then a second problem regarding fault-current-interruption, which allowed the pack to be destructively overloaded by the failed controller.

👍 Yes same local overheating that blew 1 capacitor and a few more components on my Sherman board when going up and down a hill, with some acceleration and braking to test my pads setup at the time (foolish me!)

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

I would call them OVER-ENGINEERED

Over-featured, yes. Adding features adds complexity, and adding complexity opens more doors open for Engineering oversight just because there are more things that could go sideways. But it's semantics. KISS still applies!

• Like 1