Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

3 hours ago, BatteryMooch said:

If the nickel is pressing against the top of the cell then it could easily melt the plastic wrap and top ring insulator (if plastic, not paper) and directly short-circuit the cell. Perhaps unlikely but it’s not impossible.

I believe you're correct here.

It's kind of bad that the plastic 'sleeve' is the only insulator and the cell's positive and negative electrode are that close together, but this is how these cells are manufactured. I'm no battery pack builder, but I don't think it's common to add insulation because under no circumstances should the nickel strip ever get "hot". If you did add insulation, you'd want to use fiberglass or asbestos or some other fireproof material.

(just kidding about the asbestos BTW, you wouldn't be able to import it into the US with that stuff in it)

• Like 1

those packs are built like crap, noone builds like that anymore, not even cell holders. atleast the 900wh begode packs cell holders had built in protection where the nickel couldnt short out the cell

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goatman said:

those packs are built like crap, noone builds like that anymore, not even cell holders.

If we're lucky, the third party review will flag this deficiency and if we're very lucky KS will do something to fix it. I kind of doubt it though, they'd need a new aluminum case cuz the battery size would grow.

Edited by Tawpie

Portable contents insurance, also known as personal effects insurance, can provide a level of financial cover for personal items that regularly leave your address with you such as handbags, laptops, musical instruments, sporting equipment, or items on you such as spectacles, jewellery or clothing.

8 hours ago, supercurio said:

…good thing we have a battery assembly videos! It's like they shared it with us for review :)

LOL…I completely forgot about that video, thanks!

Looks like I was wrong. At 0:15 in the video that looks like green fishpaper rings were added to the cells. But as @Tawpie and @Hellkitten noted the temp rating for at least one type of fishpaper is 235F, wayyyyy below the temp of red hot nickel (several hundred degrees-F in my opinion).

Sooooo….they added additional insulation but we don’t know if it can hold up to the hot nickel or not. 😔

Edited by BatteryMooch
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robse said:

Its ok :-)

The point I was making is that you could cover 4 sides of the battery in space shuttle re-entry tiles if you wanted, it's all a bit futile if the battery still expels it's guts out of the top or bottom. And even if you could confine the fire to the footprint of the pack, I imagine it would then turn into a bomb if the pressure can't escape.

19 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The point I was making is that you could cover 4 sides of the battery in space shuttle re-entry tiles if you wanted, it's all a bit futile if the battery still expels it's guts out of the top or bottom. And even if you could confine the fire to the footprint of the pack, I imagine it would then turn into a bomb if the pressure can't escape.

I see it more as a kind of protection against a fire spreading from one side of the package to the other. 
In addition, fire can also occur in the components and not only in the batteries. But I can see what you mean :-)

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Seems they have insulators, as normally used for li ion battery packs

https://imgur.com/a/anZd0Bs.jpg

Yup, noted that in my post earlier. 🙂

Whether the fishpaper, with its fairly low temp rating (235°F for one type), can still provide protection while being press against by nickel strip at hundreds of degrees above its rating is still unknown though. The fishpaper would probably have to be vibrated out of the way after decomposing (or whatever) so it probably still provides protection even with red hot nickel but testing would certainly be needed if any possible failure scenarios resulted in hot nickel.

It’s easily argued though that the pack’s design has failed if the nickel can ever get hot.

I’m still leaning towards heat conduction (from the hot nickel) to the cells forcing them into runaway with short-circuit current being my #2 choice. All guesses and just my personal opinion though.

Nickel strips definitely have to be taken out of the "possible failing components" - this hardware component has to be changed and be made fail safe!

Agreed! Nothing short of a crushed pack should ever result in hot nickel.

From the beginning on it was a competition between motor wires and mosfets - what will fry first. Once one component was beefed up the other one died first...

Properly sizing the wiring and selecting an appropriate insulation type is pretty easy. The failures probably came from cost-cutting or unreasonable requirements for size, bending radius, connector choice, etc. 

IMHO the FET failures were because many of these companies either don’t know how to properly select their MOSFETs (and other components), don’t test thoroughly enough, or make too many compromises in reliability for the sake of lower parts costs and/or smaller size. They can be set up to be incredibly robust but that takes time and money, something not easily given by many companies.

I guess what I’m saying is that the wiring/MOSFET competition you mentioned never needed to happen. 🙂

Edited by BatteryMooch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Chriull said:

But as "history shows" euc development/evolution is driven by trial and error..

I can understand that they probably don't have many mechanical engineers, so there would be a lot of trial an error in that department. If you look at inMotion or Kingsong's history, one may not be surprised by this. After all, for non-suspended wheels, there are only the wheel bearings and the wheel and motor assembly.

But on the electrical front. I was expecting more. But here we are. Astonishing! 

• Like 1

Some of the personnel of KS.

King Song Production and Quality Control video

Aug 11, 2017
AKedOLRsyxrMPvda-DJ8qVeiwXoPTJ1UQTzSO4VX

3.61K subscribers

There are about 20 firms manufacture and selling EUC in a large scale, only about 10 of them have R & D ability for a motherboard.

King Song has become the top company which owns the core technology of Independent R&D on both mainboard and appearance.

In the last 5 years, self-balancing vehicle sales kept increasing, as more and more people accept this way of transportation and recreation, the demand will grow rapidly.

So it’s your time to grasp the opportunity to cooperate with King Song, let’s create miracles together!

Edited by Paul A
Addition of video description
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Some of the personnel of KS.

King Song Production and Quality Control video

Aug 11, 2017
AKedOLRsyxrMPvda-DJ8qVeiwXoPTJ1UQTzSO4VX

3.61K subscribers

There are about 20 firms manufacture and selling EUC in a large scale, only about 10 of them have R & D ability for a motherboard.

King Song has become the top company which owns the core technology of Independent R&D on both mainboard and appearance.

In the last 5 years, self-balancing vehicle sales kept increasing, as more and more people accept this way of transportation and recreation, the demand will grow rapidly.

So it’s your time to grasp the opportunity to cooperate with King Song, let’s create miracles together!

Nice video - wonder how it looks today (its nearly 5 years old)   Whats the name of these 20 firms?