Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

1 minute ago, BatteryMooch said:

Still digesting what their report said though and reading the other technical responses about this.…great bunch of knowledgeable engineers here!

Is there a report somewhere ?     AN official Kingsong report ? 

What's actually very interesting about this happening on the older firmware (before they increased the timing before over current shutdown was invoked). I had been secretly hoping the new firmware would show us where the limits on current draw were.

As it is, they exposed the fault with how the system re-boots. I wonder if the new firmware would have kept the battery connected long enough to blow the fuses? If that were the case (and I'm not saying or implying that the new firmware would have stayed connected long enough to blow the fuse), we might never have known there was a problem  with the way the system booted up into an existing fault condition.

11 minutes ago, Some Canadian said:

Particularly around the fact that they haven't yet mentioned a hardware fault / hardware revision to address the issue.

We're not done yet. They haven't talked about what started the sequence of events. I don't think they know yet... and sadly they may never know until it happens again with better data collection (and a not crispy critter motherboard). Hopefully they've got their riders out pretending they're U-Stride.

They also haven't disclosed the results of the third party evaluation of their battery and BMS. Although it's possible that the third party pointed out the current problem... just don't know.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BatteryMooch said:

There is something called “secondary protection” though in some good BMS’ that is hardware based. It’s typically for over-voltage protection, the biggest concern for keeping most commercial packs from going into runaway. It uses a separate dedicated chip to detect the problem and shut off the FETs or blow a chemical fuse in case the main BMS controller fails to do this. It wouldn’t be hard to do this for over-current/short-circuit conditions though.

Why don’t all BMS’ use this dedicated-hardware secondary protection? Cost and the extra PCB space needed. Some manufacturers feel that extra protection like this isn’t needed. Or perhaps that the cost of possible returns is lower than the cost off adding this feature? Though that ignores the hit to a company’s reputation that these kind failures can cause.

Ah gotcha, that does make sense then. My main experience with over voltage/current circuits is with MUCH smaller values haha (talking 5v/1A ranges) and I imagine that for high voltage/current situations, it's a bit more complex than "just place this protection chip" down (And even if it is that "easy", the parts are likely physically much bigger). Cost + board space is always a balancing act, and I can appreciate the engineering considerations that go into that. However all that being said, I would like to see more precautions taken with an EUC BMS, compared to say an e-bike BMS, since the failure states can typically lead to much worse outcomes.

At the end of the day this is a "niche" market, and there are always "growing pains" and faults that pop up (although some might say that some faults should never pop up). To me it's all in how the manufacture(s) react to these issues, and pivot/change moving forward. So will just have to keep my eyes on this :)

Edited by Some Canadian
  • Like 2

I think a possible hardware solution going forward is the installation of an isolation switch so in the event of a malfunction we can isolate the batteries from everything else very quickly

(As seen in electric cars). Should this be mandated for all wheels?

Just curious what would have happened if they managed to turn off the wheel as soon as it fell? Maybe nothing I suspect? Also shows the issue of having the power button so far into the wheel too. Not easy to reach quickly in these circumstances.

Edited by The Brahan Seer

4 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Just curious what would have happened if they managed to turn off the wheel as soon as it fell? Maybe nothing I suspect? Also shows the issue of having the power button so far into the wheel too. Not easy to reach quickly in these circumstances.

Hitting the power button definitely is not going to help with the board already smoking, it's just a way of requesting the board to go into lower power mode and turn off the balancing features. If you were to have an emergency switch or button for cutting off the batteries without going through a software layer that would have potentially helped, but that then becomes a liability while riding the wheel.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I think a possible hardware solution going forward is the installation of an isolation switch so in the event of a malfunction we can isolate the batteries from everything else very quickly

(As seen in electric cars). Should this be mandated for all wheels?

There is the handle kill switch.

54 minutes ago, supercurio said:

When a short occurs, it is continuous.

Fantastic analysis, thank you for posting!

A thought I had…

While a continuous short can definitely happen I think intermittent shorts are a very real possibility and also need to be thoroughly tested for.

This is a high vibration environment and abrasion and other vibration/movement induced wear on insulation or snapping off of components could cause intermittent short-circuits as things bounce around. IMO, these can be worse than a continuous short in some ways. A continuous short will often clear itself due to the burning out of the conductive path. Of course, it might not do that before a cell is forced into runaway but it does happen.

The huge current flow during a short-circuit will create a large inductance-created voltage spike when the current flow stops. Multiple short-circuits can easily cause breakdown and destruction of different components, even TVS diodes placed to absorb these spikes. But there are no TVS diodes in this EUC (with a working voltage of 126V and a 150V FET Vds rating) as a 130V SMCJ TVS diode (the lowest voltage rating you could use) clamps at over 200V. Hmm…wondering what transient suppression they are using.

Because of the short duration of these intermittent shorts the conductive paths might not be be cleared but the huge voltage spikes would continue. This additional damage could cause a failure that would accelerate or even cause failure of the pack.

These short term events (short circuits) can also play havoc with power integrity for the controller chips in the ESC and BMS, causing brownouts and repeated forced reboots. This can leave the circuit in undefined states and or cause lockups or unintended firmware behavior, leading to all sorts of problems that could destroy the pack.

Edited by BatteryMooch
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That, plus internal heating of the cells themselves can easily get the cells to thermal runaway. The red hot ends are welded to the battery terminals... great heat transfer!

Thanks, it helps to understand the usefulness of thicker nickel strips.

I read it the other way around... 

Frankly I'm not sure after reading it one way then other multiple times.

However my understanding for now is that the explanation describes conditions introducing the loop which causes the MOS to not remain in the OFF state, although...

Easy to get confused when it contains sentences like these (missing a negation)

At this phase of a bug in the BMS the MOS should turn off to protect all components, but that did happen.

Followed by 

and the time between ON and OFF states were so short that it did not blow the fuse

That sounds good, right - meaning not enough current?

hence the constant power output from the battery led to the eventual fire incident

In a scenario where the BMS switches between "ON/OFF" states there's not "constant power output", this is contradictory.
And does that mean that certain current are enough to get the nickel strip red hot which would ignites the cells, but still not enough to burn the fuse?

If a combination of average current and ON/OFF state timing can lead to this result, can we say that it is the wrong fuse for the job.

On page 3 they mentioned a motherboard firmware bug that continued to apply power to the motor after the hall sensor failure. I don't know if this bug falls into the V.19 paragraph D "other known bugs" or not. I don't personally condone sending out firmware with known bugs, but this was demo equipment and we all know that all software is pretty much guaranteed to have known problems when it ships. It will absolutely have known problems the first time it leaves the company's control (this was sort of a beta test—first truly uncontrolled use of the software).

Right, that's another interesting one.
This bug is likely to get the board self-destruct. It's true that the board is supposed to detect bad or lack of hall sensor data, disable motor control and beep. The fact that it's not might reveal an incomplete sensorless implementation since in that case it should not stop driving the motor but switch to sensorless instead.

Edited by supercurio