Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

Doesn't the post hint at a cutout, then the main board start making popping sounds (ie. bursting into flames?), and lastly the finale, with the battery catching fire?

This is interesting. The controller is in its own metal module, as are the battery packs in its own metal boxes. So, it is unlikely the flames could have spread?

Edited by techyiam

The video should be interesting to see. But even then, "we" will never know with certainty. And even if KS does get that control board back (I hope it's already on an airplane back to Shenzhen), they might not ever know... fire tends to cover its tracks pretty completely.

A few messages that sum up the NYC incident.

David: “Sad to say it’s confirmed s20 did catch fire in nyc … hopefully king song will come out with a fix …”

Ray Rokni: “ustride was riding the hsuang demo wheel on nyc street. nothing hard. in fact going pretty slow, mbrd fails he falls. mbrd starts popping and shaking on its side and after 20seconds the glorious fire from the batteries start. pretty simple 😁

Marty Backe: “I have the video but can't show it. I can say it's the most impressive EUC fire video I've ever seen.

KingSong is going to have a little bit of work ahead of them.

Don't expect your S20s anytime soon”

Marty Backe:”The video is particularly impressive because you get to see the low-speed cutout, the fall, and the inferno followed by the New York City fire Department”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Rumors coming out of NYC that the S20 demo wheel that Hsiang has caught on fire today.  Still a rumor, but concerning if it turns out to be true.

Might it have caught the ‘Gotway Fvirus’ off U-Stride’s boot soles, he rides an EXN and an MSP?? 

Something of a reality check to realise that, irrespective of make ‘if it’s got batteries inside, it can go up in flames’. That aside, if it has been a demo wheel, then it presumably has been subjected to all manner of riders’ individual ‘test ride regimes’, and had been pushed or otherwise reached the limits of its ‘temper’, if not final temperature.  Judging from some of the various videos shown here in the S20 story, there appear to be quite a number of ‘fair use’ riding styles being shown, and it may be that Kingsong EUC’s may be ‘technically unsuited’ to some of those riding styles.     It certainly seems to be possible to break almost any wheel we encounter, perhaps we need to bear this in mind when looking to ‘send’ the new toys, as their ‘limits’ might be exceeded by those of any individual rider. I’d be surprised indeed if any ‘black box’ type review of the wheel’s usage history did not reveal some earlier clues as to what may have contributed to, if not downright caused its demise, and personally I feel it is sheer misfortune, both for KS and the rider/s who were evaluating the wheel at the time-point of no return.

But of course this is just an opinion, based on nothing other than my own limited observations, and may indeed be totally wide of the mark. It is also concerning to see the apparent lack of weatherproofing on the light circuitry and on a position on the wheel that gets maximal exposure to any incoming rain, though of course the Evees wheels caught in the deluge in (?)LA survived unscathed. I don’t pretend to know whether or not any short circuit resulting from water ingress from the lighting circuitry would be capable of frying the mobo and or causing the fire, but I’m pretty sure the product would be regarded as being somewhat more ‘complete’ were this potential risk removed via proper design and execution at the final production stage.

Edited by Freeforester

8 minutes ago, goatman said:

i wonder how much more money kingsong will want for a different brand battery inside the S20

Even more relevant, will they still honor the early pre-order pricing if they make further changes to the MB or batteries?  

15 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Even more relevant, will they still honor the early pre-order pricing if they make further changes to the MB or batteries?  

Why should they change batteries... the chosen model is very efficient, there is nothing to say about that...

Wait for their response, their analysis before speaking about price or things like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Given what is going on with US dollar inflation I doubt anyone can honor price quotes older than 60 to 120 days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Didn't kingsong release a new firmware as well related to power delivery? Could this have something to do with the incident? Honestly asking as I have no real idea how these things work.

But considering they were limiting things in firmware for reasons.. maybe this is a software issue, which ultimately was preventing a hardware issue.

• Like 3

i saw one video where the braking was weak then Hsang liked the braking. I wonder if they cranked up the regen amps for braking

anyone know what the max amps for the regen is on these wheels?

• Like 1

Although constraining, I think that at this point it should be contractually required for demo wheels to have an app connected gathering the real-time telemetry at all times.
You borrow the wheel? You borrow the phone connected to it.

In that case, all the evidence got destroyed, aside from video footage from a few cameras, so all Kingsong will have to work with is.. not much.

• Like 3

Just glad nobody was hurt, and this thing didnt just blow up in someone's apt or house. 

It will be near impossible for KS to know what happened here i think. Which is unfortunate for anyone hoping to get this wheel in the next few weeks. Unless KS chalk this up to a fluke, i cant see them shipping anytime soon. which is probably for the better.. All of the new wheels this year have been plagued with some QA shenanigans. 

Hopefully they were connected to an app that at least logs some of the metrics while riding.. That may be somewhat helpful. Hopefully the smart BMS when connecting would notify of any cell damage or BMS stuff..

• Upvote 1

I’ve been saving for over a year to buy an euc and all I hear is cutouts,fires ,quality control issues ,waterproofing issues .seems like a fool and his money are soon parted will come to fruition unless this community demands more from manufacturers and stops buying their junk 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1