Kingsong s20 Cut out FIRE (New York)

Rollin-on-1

27 minutes ago, supercurio said:

What do you guys think about the S20 capacitors rated at 160V

I'm with @Tawpie - their current ratings are much more concerning, than the 160V withstand.

(But I think all EUC controllers are taking lots of liberty with capacitor discharge rates... it's not unique to S20)

GW/BG has been using Japanese Chemi-Con 160V capacitors in their modern controllers, in sizes rated for about 4A RMS ripple current @ 10kHz. It's not nothing... but when we're considering ~60A observed battery currents during aggressive riding, 4A doesn't sound very big. 
Also bear in mind, 4A is not an absolute maximum: it just means, if you exceed it, the capacitor isn't guaranteed to perform a full 10,000hr lifetime. 
(I think 6A ripple would not be instant death.)

The S20 "HKLCON" capacitors are a bit strange. They're labeled for 160V 680uF 105°C, the same ratings as modern Gotway controllers, yet they're physically half the size as the Chemi-Con's. Which makes me suspect that they're less rugged... 
But in any case- if the capacitors explode, the battery packs should never :( 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I have found myself in the same thought. I have honestly gone to bed each night for a week, wondering if I should embrace the wheels I have as the LAST wheels I probably ever will. Quality isnt improving and its getting harder and harder to ignore the problems. My current wheel collection is fine, but for how long? How long until I wont be overlooked by the politicians and cops? How long will my house NOT be in flames? How long until a cheap part costs me a cutout and a busted jaw? The longer I am a part of the euc game, the more I realize that it is heading in a direction that is obviously NOT sustainable. Not only am I staying away from paying to be abused as a test pig, I am eyeballing my largerst wheel and thinking of cashing it out, before it cashes ME out. If I owned ANY of these newer wheels that havent proven itself to me yet, I'd have already pawned it off on the next risk taker. I fear we are slowly watching the euc hobby come closer to not being a viable option at all. WE keep tossing money at these companies, only to watch them ignore proven tech and push off more bullshit. If something is already just BARELY operational and reliable, its rediculous that we would assume a huge leap in tech is going to be more reliable.  Euc companies havent hardly learned to crawl, yet we pay them to run. The euc buisness model sickens me.

Sad but true. Pretty much described how I feel. Like others have said, 18XL meets my needs and I'm glad its a proven design. Its not seen as high performance because its "slow" maxing out at 30mph but I kind of laugh at that seeing as I rarely hit the speed limit and have a lot of fun while riding. Yet the enthusiasts for some reason demand more speed and more power and this is where we've ended up. Wheel reliability issues aside, riding these at speeds close to 50mph to me sounds insane and itself risks these becoming banned over time (but thats a different discussion)

• Like 1

After sleeping on it I’m really close to cancelling. I fell asleep looking at the black master on EWheels, also the Sherman max.

it would be a nice time to see a v13 release with a strong TESTED confident product. 

It’s a damn shame all this. 

kinda waiting to see what Kingsong say. I like the confidence in the follow up letter “this will never happen again” makes me think they will go OVER AND ABOVE what’s needed to secure their brand. 
they need to, they better.

Maybe too late. 

42 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

I'm done buying wheels for the foreseeable future.  Until wheels get much, MUCH better, My money is staying in my pocket.

EUC riding is extatic fun. Inmotion V11 will not burn. Go for it mate .....too much fun

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul A said:

People running for their lives in Ukraine.

Disappointment in an EUC failing expectations seems bit of a First World problem..

Moot. One persons concerns/issues, doesnt negate the other. I happen to live in a first world country, so of course my problems follow suit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, chanman said:

I don't really care for the regressive mentality some of you are espousing here, we should want the latest and best battery tech and features such as suspension in our wheels, we should want to see improvements and new products improving on previous ones. We should also want a company that does proper testing of their designs so that this doesn't happen in the wild.

I'm pretty sure nearly 100% of us agree. Its just that SOME of us, don't like how its coming about. Suspension is a great idea. So far tho, we're still waiting on them to bring it from 'theory', to a QUALITY reality. Instead of a slow and safer progression of tech, we are watching them push the envelopes, before managing the core problem... Build quality, and component quality. I want a suspension wheel that is advantagoues over the older proven wheels. However, I am one of the people who isnt convinced that we are seeing gains in that area, w/o losing the most important thing.... reliability. My knee jerk reaction to things like this, stems from disappointment. I KNOW we have the tech. I KNOW we have the ability. It simply baffles me, to see the buisness strategies at hand and the way the consumer is led to have expectations that arent even close to being met. Every company tries new things. Im just wishing the euc companies would quit pushing new tech at the expense of losing what was working with the old. Building an euc is NOT rocket science, in contrast to where we are with tech on planet Earth. The bizz side of euc building, must be what is getting in the way. Of course, there's always a maximum to what people are willing to pay. Maybe its the end price that is forcing this to happen?

Tbh, if euc riding wasnt as great as it is, this would be a lot less aggravating to see happen. If we didnt want this so much, we wouldnt care as much. There's also a benefit in people who are always bitching and never happy. I like to think it makes companies pay attention, and it helps offeset the crowd who lavishes praise, while the truth is more likely somewhere in the middle. Me, I don't trust ANY of these brands. The last cpla yrs has proven that a brand is merely a name anymore. NO brand can claim title of 'safest', 'conservative', 'reliable' anymore. Brand bias is dead and I now look at each model as its own new entity. Blindly trusting an euc brand because of past performance, has already cost me too much. Want proof? I've been eyeballing the Hero for a while. IN what world would I consider a gotway suspension over a KS suspension! I truly am saddened when I see this from ANY brand tho. Euc's have a lot in common. When a problem arises with one, its not a far fetch to worry if its applicable to another.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Some reminders:

1. This is a demo wheel that was sent out for testing purposes. Calm down.

2. ZERO production units have had this issue.

3. Only this one demo out of 20 (or is it 40?) that exist in the world have had this problem (right?).

4. We have no way of knowing 100% what this test unit went through. NYC is not known for being gentle on demo units.

5. King Song is taking this incident very seriously and will resolve the issue before they ship production units. This is exactly why companies need to do extensive QC and in this aspect KS is doing a great job. Compared to Begode which does not send out any demo/test units and is going straight to shipping the Master production batch #1 and letting owners find all the bugs for them (yikes!).

I still can't wait to get mine and I love that they are working out the issues BEFORE shipping and not just rushing them out the door.

No photo description available.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

...with an energy density of 500 watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg), easily beating the 100-265 Wh/kg energy density offered by contemporary lithium ion batteries.

That would be fantastic depending on material cost and ease of manufacturing. :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

High positioned pedals make the wheel less stable and more prone to lateral slipping. In addition, the battery housing reaching the rim of the wheel completely negates the benefit of the high pedal clearance. Despite the seemingly high ground clearance, it is very easy to hit rocks, roots etc. Also, stepping on a curb at an angle other than straight may result in a fall.

The position of the pedals has no influence on how easily something slips laterally. The tire cannot tell how high the pedals are mounted. The tire and the lean angle are the only factors that have a bearing on the matter.

I agree that it is not good that hitting rocks and roots is too easy when going offroad, but the V11 was clearly never intended to be a rugged offroad wheel. It is built more for dirt roads, cobblestones and potholes and patches in normal asphalt roads. IMHO it is not an entirely fair accusation. You wouldnt complain that a Tesla Model S is bad at offroading.

• Upvote 1

To my mind, a plausible scenario is that the high speed crash 2 weeks prior caused physical damage to one or more cells inside the pack. They remained functional but compromised.

After 2 more weeks of use and heating one finally failed on this ride and vented. This would be the pop sounds that was heard and caused the cutout and crash.

The thermal energy trapped inside the battery case and/or possibly an electrical short circuit created by the exploded cell rapidly results in the chain reaction.

Just an opinion.