Worst-case fault current (Gotway battery destructive test)

RagingGrandpa

Amazing job @RagingGrandpa on the whole thing 👏

I also hate inrush so I made a XT60 cable with an inline 3K 10W resistor to charge board caps first before connecting the packs directly.
Connecting 5p Sanyo NCR18650GA to a capacitor (Sherman) is not a nice experience and the spark damage the connectors every time.
Likewise, I wish this was taken care of out of the box by the connector or the BMS.

The only additional test I could think of is to observe the failure when maximizing the current drawn from the pack while riding. Like at medium or high speed, with something like 100A phase current and 60A+ battery current (or probably a lot more from your last figures)
There's no doubt it would be harder harder to replicate however, either by:

• simulating an actual load mechanically on a fully built wheel
  • simulating realistic back-EMF signal and hall sensor output

Maybe the board would fail in a different way, when taking even more current in without being limited by the max phase current.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, supercurio said:

maximizing the current drawn from the pack while riding. Like at medium or high speed, with something like 100A phase current and 60A+ battery current

The peak power point.
I think the peak power point is the speed when back-EMF is just high enough to allow the controller to use 100% duty without triggering its phase current limiter. So it means the same ~200A phase current, on the verge of overlean, at some mid-range speed, perhaps ~50% of freespin speed (such as 25mph?).
Maybe possible to simulate by burning out a tire with the EUC supported in a jig? (Not practical for me, sorry.)

Because of the ~200A phase current limit, we know an upper limit for operational input current: the same 200A. That's certainly achievable (in a non-continuous manner) from 2 or more packs, based my test data.

Your question of "what is the actual pack current at peak power?" is appealing, I agree.
But bear in mind, it's an inherently short-lived condition for an EUC: you'd be at the verge of overlean with no overhead for additional maneuvering, at speed, sustaining an aggressive and intense acceleration command. I think it would need a heavy rider hauling ass up a paved 50% grade (an unrealistic terrain) to sustain this condition for more than a moment.
So why would the number matter, if we knew it... perhaps it's an additional consideration for interruptor design, especially with peak-detecting logic (and not melt-type fuses).

40 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Maybe the board would fail in a different way

Resistive heating is a function of current, not output power.
Admittedly, there will be changes in thermal dissipation during high-speed operation (think: capacitor cycling and FET turn-on times), but I think resistive heating dominates the story.
So, I expect failures would be similar to the many other during-riding overloads we've seen (such as my MSX chugging through deep sand, here).

• Like 1

Yes @RagingGrandpa exactly.

I have a special interest in this data and modeling in order to write algorithms for better software alarms which would protect from each of the known failures without alerting unnecessarily.

It won't be trivial to build an accurate model, but it's an interesting challenge for useful potential result 😃

Which was the failure with the EX.N here for instance? From your tests today I would imagine it would survive.

Apologies tho for the off-topic on battery testing.
I wish Gotway wheels would measure and report battery current directly.

Edited by supercurio

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is my Nik+ gonna blow up in my basement if I'm the kind of rider who never tops 30mph street riding? I never let the batts go lower than 40 %. It rides so darn good :)

12 minutes ago, Elwood said:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is my Nik+ gonna blow up in my basement if I'm the kind of rider who never tops 30mph street riding? I never let the batts go lower than 40 %. It rides so darn good :)

Have you heard about Schrödinger's cat... 

More concretely, it's hard to tell.
From the impressive figures demonstrated in this testing so far, find a bit more likely that fires are primarily linked to defective cells than usage, with usage acting as a trigger or multiplier of the existing risk.
It's only an hypothesis tho.

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

Which was the failure with the EX.N here for instance? From your tests today I would imagine it would survive.

[board failed after multiple ascents of a steep hill at ~5mph]

Right, low-speed high-torque. Same failure as my MSX. Motor current is high, but pack current and system power are low. Board overheating and failure happened, but the battery packs weren't especially stressed.

To predict such a failure using software during riding, I would suggest some time-weighted / leaky-bucket estimation of "FET temp," based on phase current, sensor temp, and speed (e.g.: cooling rate); and without regard for battery current.
Calibrating the rise and fall rates of the estimate does sound tricky, but I think you could do it in a stationary setting. You probably need to sacrifice a few boards, to find the right calibration...

Hopefully we won't mix in "defective boards" with this story (as the video thumbnail of a fire-spitting Sherman reminded me)... I think a few Shermans (and also a small % of most modern Gotways) had board failures without high loads, which I attribute to defects. Some defective boards just shut off quietly; others die with smoke and arcing. But we should ignore defects here, since there is practically nothing software can do to fix them.

1 hour ago, Elwood said:

Is my Nik+ gonna blow up in my basement

Ah. Not the topic of this thread. :)
Here I am studying performance of a "normal" pack in the presence of faults outside the pack.
I consider my test pack "normal" despite its history, because I repaired it before the test (by simply removing the dead cell pair from the circuit).

Regarding faulty packs: rather thorough discussion of Gotway's pack fires, their potential causes and remedies, is available below:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/25541-begode-900wh-battery-recall-options/

To answer your question:
Based on my experience, your Nik+'s electrical design is very reasonable, and I do not expect it to become unsafe during normal use (including aggressive riding!).
Things are sized appropriately, and simple faults (such as those I created) do not start a battery fire. Crashes and collisions are a much greater risk to the rider, than the batteries. Gear up and go ride!

But like any modern EUC, all users should be cautious about the most-frequent themes:
- Water: immersion cannot be tolerated. If any water gets inside the pack, it begins a process of degradation that often results in fire (sometimes many days later).
- Incomplete charging / heat during charging or storage: Internal cell defects are a random occurrence, and often cause irregular behavior during charging as the first symptom (like my test pack did). (Always recharge to 100%, since partial charging defeats top-balancing.)
With any irregularity, the EUC should be moved to a fire-tolerant location, and diagnosed.

And, your "used" EUC is more trustworthy than a new one, in my opinion. If the cells had defects, I would have expected trouble within the first 50 cycles (like my test pack had).
Newly-manufactured packs (and controllers) are the most suspicious to me, given the ever-present possibility of manufacturing defects. An EUC must earn your trust over time.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

@RagingGrandpa Is this com on the exn fail part can be a significant point to add to your suggestion?

"Looking to the wall of the pylon of that bridge (the "pythagorean triangle" at about 4:20), the mathematician in me :P says that the slope is way over 30°. You measure the first slope, but not the second, after changing the location"

• 5 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:19 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Inrush is ugly.

We really do get the full short-circuit current of the pack, when connecting the controller. Imagine Monster Pro with more capacitors and 4 packs: 500A pulses?!
It makes me want to retrofit a precharge-type connector like XT90S, whenever boards are being installed...
(XT60 was a fine connector choice for the total current, but they don't make an XT60 variant with a builtin resistor like XT90S.)

Sorry for the necro-bump.

Together with my capacitor I had ordered an anti-spark cable, which is essentially two xt60 connectors with resistors in the middle.

This cable proved invaluable as I frequently had to reconnect the batteries during firmware development and I completely avoided sparks and the bad things they bring.

In my opinion it is a must tool for anyone that does work on his wheel!

image.png

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1