Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Some follow-up information on the state of my Master, one of my packs is dead, it measures 0v on multi-meter, the other 3 packs are normal, wheel ridden less than 250km total with no falls or damages.

Big AliExpress reseller which for now will not be named (giving them a chance to redeem this situation) together with Begode engineers wanted me to personally open up the pack and measure the cell groups, if cells are ok they said they would send me a new BMS which I install myself and if cells not ok they would send me a new pack, I said no I won't do this, I'm not an electrical engineer, have no experience working on batteries, don't feel comfortable opening up a pack to measure and definitely not comfortable to swap out the BMS on the pack, they insisted for some time and really pushed me to do it saying I wasn't cooperating which is totally nuts.

Next they told me to send the pack back to them in China and I would have to cover the costs for that, obviously not an option to send a broken battery pack from Europe to China with all regulations in place and even so what cost that would entail for me.

Next option they gave me was to send the pack to a service center in France for repairs and they would re-imburse me for shipping costs, well I did my due diligence and it's near impossible to send a battery pack like that for a normal person within EU, you need permits, tests, 30% SoC charge etc, all delivery companies have state a little bit different rules but they all reference the same EU regulations and rules for dangerous goods, what is clear is that you should never send a broken or recalled pack this way.

So now I'm awaiting further replies how to go forward, they seem to have no concern at all for the potential fire hazard, for now I have placed the battery in a lipo bag on my balcony just in case, I would rather not just have it lying around my apartment.

Reason I got this wheel from AliExpress was that I joined a group purchase and bought it from there against my better judgement, the purchase price was good but this type of non existent support for a clear warranty issue is really all hell to deal with.

You’re absolutely right to not send that battery pack like that anywhere, it could put people lives in danger(and you can risk going to prison). The best is to seal and send the pack to an authorised recycling point and they should send you a new pack. They can’t ask you to do all that illegal stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul g said:

You’re absolutely right to not send that battery pack like that anywhere, it could put people lives in danger(and you can risk going to prison). The best is to seal and send the pack to an authorised recycling point and they should send you a new pack. They can’t ask you to do all that illegal stuff.

Well they are, and according to the reseller it's Begode engineers insisting on it, I was sent a bunch of screenshots from group chat with Begode but since they are in Chinese I have no idea what is said.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Wgm said:

Looks like he had 2500km on it.  There is visible damage to the pack so may just take a look without tearing the wrap.

Screenshot_20220927-151433.png

Because Begode doesn’t make sturdy cases to protect the batteries, all of them seem to get damaged in one of the corners(especially the first pack from front where the euc hits stuff). That is why it is important for EUC manufacturers to follow a safe design rule and provide proper protection for the battery pack.
Edit: That Nickel plate is very corroded and very dangerous, it can brake at any time. Would be advisable to take it to a repair centre or change it.

Edited by Paul g
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

Because Begode doesn’t make sturdy cases to protect the batteries, all of them seem to get damaged in one of the corners

Yeah I am hoping the metal plates and bumper strip combo that I am going to cover all surfaces of those batteries (that aren't already covered by pads) with are going to be enough to avoid that... I have my doubts somehow. They seem to have learned the lesson with the metal packs on the EX30, but damn that thing is too heavy for me...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Well they are, and according to the reseller it's Begode engineers insisting on it, I was sent a bunch of screenshots from group chat with Begode but since they are in Chinese I have no idea what is said.

Did you try with the google translate app? there is an option to import an image containing text from the gallery that will be scanned and translated

Or from any online service by googling "ocr to text" to extract the text from your screenshot then use a translator

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh really ? - I don't know either ! I just saw the pictures and the massive weight and assumed... perhaps I am wrong to do so !

Not entirely impossible, yet unlikely that EX30 has a metal battery casing just judging by the weight. EX20s does, but it is considerably heavier...

• Upvote 1

Reseller got back to me this morning insisting I use one of the transporters that I already linked them proof that they do not accept lithium batteries for transport at all saying that another customer already did exactly this so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: LOL just now they wrote if I can just send it as a package and not write that it is a battery.

Postnord:

https://www.postnord.se/siteassets/pdf/farligt-gods/dangerous-goods-postnord.pdf

Lithium cells and batteries sent in isolation are prohibited, as are cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged in any way. Shipping of lithium batteries with PostNord is only allowed when contained in, or connected to electronic equipment and devices.

9 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

Did you try with the google translate app? there is an option to import an image containing text from the gallery that will be scanned and translated

Or from any online service by googling "ocr to text" to extract the text from your screenshot then use a translator

Good idea, I did just that, the translate isn't perfect but you can tell some things, they seem to think that I ride at extreme speeds which is mentioned several times and I am guessing they deduce this from the EUC World tour log that I sent which is from the day before I noticed short range: 62kmh max speed, 27.5kmh average speed..  not extreme in my eyes specially not for Begode Master? Here is my extreme speed tour: https://euc.world/tour/613932876114163

Here is some interesting translation from one of the screenshots:

Reseller: The customer has the ability to test, we will certainly tell him that we do not want to send batteries ah, send batteries so expensive!

Begode: He didn't cooperate. What about the battery pack?

Reseller: Then you have no battery output.

Begode: So you need to measure the battery voltage.

Reseller: The customer doesn't have the ability to test the core independently.

Reseller: The output voltage of the battery pack can be simply tested.

Begode: You were supposed to help with these problems.

Reseller: <Broken smilie face>

Begode: Enginer analysis, the core will not be so easy to break, may the fuse on the protection board burned, so to open the battery package test core voltage.

Begode: A video is tutorials given to this customer than the high-tech Master dissasembly video

Edited by Rawnei

11 hours ago, Paul g said:

Because Begode doesn’t make sturdy cases to protect the batteries, all of them seem to get damaged in one of the corners(especially the first pack from front where the euc hits stuff). That is why it is important for EUC manufacturers to follow a safe design rule and provide proper protection for the battery pack.
Edit: That Nickel plate is very corroded and very dangerous, it can brake at any time. Would be advisable to take it to a repair centre or change it.

a metal case is better for sure, but this is not the case, you can hit the top part of the batteries in some unlucky way if you don't protect them but it's almost impossible to hit the lower part in any case

this is a current issue, the nickel plate should be doubled in that spot

13 minutes ago, EMA said:

a metal case is better for sure, but this is not the case, you can hit the top part of the batteries in some unlucky way if you don't protect them but it's almost impossible to hit the lower part in any case

this is a current issue, the nickel plate should be doubled in that spot

I know more about the old wheels, like MSP, EXN type. The new ones continue to have similar issue- as you can see from that picture, that nickel plate sticks out and forms an elevated point on the pack. All begode packs seem to be built like that which is a problem because it exposes that plate to mechanical failure, current doesn’t wear the plastic in that way, it can melt it, but it doesn’t look like melting there to me.

Edited by Paul g

From these pictures it looks more like rust on the plastic and signs of corrosion on the nickel plate from the exposure to the elements than overheat signs, but I could be wrong, since I can’t tell that only from watching the pictures.9B51F4EF-8E9C-479A-B4A4-72F82E649D88.thumb.jpeg.8871632599b1b5de1413c98d96c325a6.jpeg

sorry but this has nothing to do with rust or corrosion.

this could happen exactly on the first or last group of cells because these are the points where all the current flows, it's the reason why the nickel strip are already way bigger compared to the middle groups, the big picture will make it clear :

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

Nickel plates will corrode AFTER being overheated as the nickel protection is then damaged, and the iron underneath starts to corrode. So the corrosion is a sign of overheating in my opinion.

About Ronnies situation... Makes me uncomfortable as I am waiting for a wheel from the same seller. FUCK!

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Months later, the batteries issues observed on Master are matching the predictions LiTech CEO shared with me during a call.

He said back then that they analyzed Begode's BMS and found issues that would certainly prove problematic over time, just like previous Begode designs. That's part of what decided eWheels and LiTech to design their BMS from scratch.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:10 PM, EMA said:

firmware update 

Yes, it has been fixed by a firmware update. The firmware name is "Master v2". Begode gave the reseller this information after receiving the serial number of my wheel. So we can quite safely say that I really own a master v2.

After this firmware upgrade, EUC World reports the same temperature as what we can  read on the screen of the wheel; With the OG firmware, EUC World constantly reported 37 degree celcius

Edited by koto
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

It melted.

More demonstration here.

To be fair, Master V1 was not a "BMS problem" 
Instead, it's undersized connections. 

Previous Begod designs did not put the full system current through a single pack. So: a new problem, and a simple fix, which was deployed quickly.

(Condolences to those who got stuck with a V1 without warranty support... at least that group of owners is small.)

Sergei from @iCafe agrees. I know he has first hand experience of that. It looks like the nickel strips they use are very thin as well.

27 minutes ago, chanman said:

Fried board isn't really catching fire imo, but good to know it can happen I guess. Nasty hand injuries, leather gloves seem to be a good piece of kit the high speeds we can get on these new wheels.

That board needed some mechanical protection, don’t you agree?

When I think at Begode those Chinese single use cameras are the first thing that pops up in my mind. It’s kind of a philosophy of life they have enshrined in their company DNA. 

And I wouldn’t ride that thing after a crash

Edited by Paul g

45 minutes ago, Paul g said:

That board needed some mechanical protection, don’t you agree?

It's the luck of the draw a bit though isn't it ? For example this board obviously took a hammering in a crash at 28 mph, yet the guy who came off his at 70 the other day was able to ride his home afterwards, and that other video where 2 masters get comprehensively thrown down cliffsides, and miraculously seem to survive that too !

Yes to leather gloves hey ? - those finger scrapes look pretty grim.

Do we have any more detail about what caused the crash, how it impacted and if the seat came off during its tumble, exposing the boards flimsy plastic cover ?

33 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

It's the luck of the draw a bit though isn't it ? For example this board obviously took a hammering in a crash at 28 mph, yet the guy who came off his at 70 the other day was able to ride his home afterwards, and that other video where 2 masters get comprehensively thrown down cliffsides, and miraculously seem to survive that too !

Yes to leather gloves hey ? - those finger scrapes look pretty grim.

Do we have any more detail about what caused the crash, how it impacted and if the seat came off during its tumble, exposing the boards flimsy plastic cover ?

The one at 70kmph I think the wheel leaned on a side and then tumbled from one side to the other hitting the ground mostly with the pads... It was a miracle, nobody expected it, which says a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve even said before, those foam protectors are a really good thing, but it’s obviously not enough, they must come in a package with proper battery housing.

Leather gloves, absolutely. His hand was ripped. I personally have some motorcycle ones with carbon knuckles protectors, but they’re not as good as I thought they’ll be , because it limits the movement. I spent a lot on them but maybe I’ll need to change them.

It hit the upper part and the board was fried.