Mango

• Mango changed the title to Inmotion V13 “Challenger” (confirmed)
39 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

To me, the central box on the motor looks like a slider for a (simple, V11-like) suspension. Maybe optional, so you can have the same wheel with or without suspension.

To me as well, but as to the latter, it doesn't make sense to me. Any suspension can be defeated simply by replacing the shock with a steel rod. But that is a very inefficient way to build a non-suspension wheel. Additionally, I personally have no interest in buying a non-suspension wheel with a free-spin speed of 140+ km/h, in the first place.

5 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Saw the video very little info so far.

80 kmh is nuts ......
Price will be very very .......
Tis gonna be a heavy wheel ......
I have V 11 nd sherman I dont need this overpriced superheavy wheel .......

You guessed, The most heavy wheel and the most expensive wheel. So "fun" :sleep1: (I bet it will weight 40-45kg and will cost 4000-4500$ and in some way it still will suck. <<< Mark my words.) :D

I wonder what year companies will go back, to releasing new light wheels.. You know - the real "last mileage" wheels.

I can bet my left nut/kidney. They would make much more profits releasing something under 20-25kg weight, ~60kph speed. (For the people who don't come on forums, etc.. Simply use euc as regular bike for small rides to job/store, etc.. People who don't need heavy monsters and big range, people who don't ride with cars.)

Yeah.. Yeah.. I know - we got the 2018-2019 year wheels. And we can't really get anything "new". Simply refreshing stock with new models would help a lot.. More options to choose from.

Edited by Funky

I guess the V13 is (at least) a 126V wheel then. It said 124v on the display.

I'm curious how the motor compares to existing motors.

1. thicker windings

2. more windings

3. wider

Do more windings usually decrease top speed? This reached 140km/h.

1 minute ago, Funky said:

You guessed, The most heavy wheel and the most expensive wheel. So "fun" :sleep1: (I bet it will weight 40-45kg and will cost 4000-4500$ and in some way still suck. <<< Mark my words.) :D

I wonder what year companies will go back, to releasing new light wheels.. You know - the real "last mileage" wheels.

I can bet my left nut/kidney. They would make much more profits releasing something under 20-25kg weight, ~60kph speed. (For the people who don't come on forums, etc.. Simply use euc as regular bike for small rides to job/store, etc.. People who don't need heavy monsters and big range, people who don't ride with cars.)

Yeah.. Yeah.. I know - we got the 2018-2019 year wheels. And we can't really get anything "new". Simply refreshing stock with new models would help a lot.. More options to choose from.

I would just like to have a Kingsong 16X (design),  with 18" wheel, no suspension,  +2000 watts battery (replace the speakers with battery storage), spiked pedals from store, seat included,  waterproof, and a 70 kmph top speed = a good safety margin from 50 kmph.  a $4000 wheel with a topspeed of +80 kmph is simply over the edge - if i have need for this kind of speed i ride my mc :rolleyes:  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

126V
Hopefully they choose the same charging connector as S22, so the chargers can be generic...

300 N*m
If that's real, it means 241 lb pull-force for the 22" tire. More than any EUC yet. 

Now... can they keep it under 100lb weight?

I doubt it will be under 100lbs.  

The 90lb begode EX has a motor with similar dimensions to that one and it has suspension. But that 90lb only has a 2700wh 100v battery

GoGeorgeGo speculated that to achieve the 10kw peak output they are claiming, they would need 4400 wh samsung 50E battery.  If this wheel had that battery and suspension and the 45lb motor from the video it would weigh 135 lbs.  (No way!)  They might be able to get away with 2500 wh or so if they used Molicel, but then the range would be super diminished.

My prediction/hope is that they will have have 2 very different wheels using a similar design (like the EX and EXn)

Wheel #1 will be a suspension wheel with a lighter 2500wh molicel pack.  This wheel will be around 80- 90lbs and will be designed to compete with the master and s22.  This will be the wheel that will be capable of the insane 70mph they are claiming in the video, but will only go 30-40 miles.  I think this wheel will come out first.

Wheel #2 will be a heavier non suspension wheel with around 4000 wh Samsung pack.  This wheel will have insane range and will be designed to compete with the Monster and Sherman. I bet this wheel's speed will be limited to something like 45mph.  I wouldn't be surprised if this wheel also had a lighter "weaker" motor.  You would basically be trading out the weight of the motor and suspension to get more range with a bigger, heavier battery.  I think the battery will still be 126v though.  With a 4000wh 126v battery the headroom on the system would be insane.... I bet it would be able to go 45mph all the way down to 20% battery....

This is really just my hope.  I have no idea if this will actually happen.   It would be cool though.   

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rolzi said:

This "v13" goes from 92% to 86% battery in 27 seconds while performing
free spin = no rider, uphill, drag, wind, road resistance, sloppy wheel etc.
Interesting;  It's 0,14% pr. second .  Not much?  Riding just 5 minutes at top speed
with this need for power will theoretically bring the level down to 56% ...
in 5 minutes.. hmnnn..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds to me this wheel will be the fastest, the torquiest, the heaviest and the most expensive wheel ever. I think it's weight will be just under 50kg, the battery pack will be just over 3,000wh and the price just below US$5,000...

The biggest challenge is of course, the battery, as usual... Big motors are not the news, but energy density is the real challenge. I predict V13 will be struggling from the same issue as every other high performance wheel - huge range drop at high performance. However, they might be able to achieve greater battery utilisation with thicker wires and stronger internal componentry allowing higher current compensating voltage drop without overheating. (Which will be pushing the weight even higher.) I would be surprised if the range of V13 will be any better than S22 or Master.

Overall, it's definitely a "showcase" wheel. If InMotion manage to take it to production it will definitely prove they "can". :-)

And I personally do like the name and even thought about it in that silly exercise of "naming the v13". Challenger may have some connotations for some... (My personal suggestion was Voyager, but I did hope for the wheel to have a good range...)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Do I want to know what those cables are rated for?

probably not... they're likely 14AWG stranded. The continuous current ratings can be found here, know that the 200+A currents reported by BG are pulses, not continuous. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

But there are reasons why EUC manufacturers took to adding fiberglas sleeves to the motor phase wires.

• Like 3

It’s already demonstrating that it’s going to be a bit of a ‘Challenger’ - a mite heavy for off-roading, so limiting the market to speed demons (why else would anyone want to have such a heavy wheel unless it’s their ‘need for speed’ (a tether might not be a good idea, yet neither would such a heavy unit careering into other road users be too swell for those non-users)?     Not an easily handled, nimble wheel for lighter riders, then, and of limited worth as a practical commuter wheel,  but still possible, assuming a great, as opposed to adequate and pretty empty road surface…🤔    

I tend to imagine also, that Li-ion batteries are already heading up both the price and demand scale, and already foreseeable inflationary pressures (not talking about the tyre) and the generally anticipated stage of the economic cycle we’re shortly about to enter is going to limit somewhat the affordability, let alone the basic ride-ability: you’ll have to be pretty certain of decent riding surface for a wheel capable of sticking to it at that weight, and plenty of stopping power will also be a requirement, never mind the state of one’s bank balance and sympathies of one’s significant others and/or next of kin near family members.

I may well be wrong, and don’t wish to dampen the hype, but for ’the many’ and the less superstitious, it could indeed prove to be something of a ‘challenger’ and may - just -  turn out to be ‘a wheel too far’ -  just sayin’…🤔

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

But there are reasons why EUC manufacturers took to adding fiberglas sleeves to the motor phase wires.

Those are a nice upgrade. They don't go the whole way though :blink1:

I actually added some fiberglass tube to my Tesla motor wires to keep them separate. Then I see them scrunch up and go in the motor unprotected. Hmm... 

Its great to see how EUC technology is developing and progressing, but I'd really welcome some development for the lower to upper mid-range wheels as well.

I'd absolutely love a  new V10F with a 3'' tire, an integrated V11-like kickstand, cast honeycomb spike pedals from the factory with adjustable cant, better and adjustable headlight, a shell with flat sides that can easily accept power pads, beefed up control board and BMS circuits for charging at 6-8A and a better trolley handle.

Or an 18'' wheel without suspension with the V11 motor, rim, battery pack, control board, kickstand and headlight, the V12 display and charging beefed up to 8A. That would be a BRUTAL competitor for the Kingsong 18XL.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Do more windings usually decrease top speed? This reached 140km/h.

Yes (in comparison to the same motor with fewer windings). Essentially, anything that allows the motor to be "grabbed" easily (like lots of windings, wider/stronger magnets) and thus gives you torque will also produce a stronger counterforce (back-EMF) to the rotation, decreasing the top speed. So you have to choose a tradeoff when constructing the motor.

The trick seems to be to have the voltage high enough so even a HT motor gives you plenty of speed. The Master is proof of that. The V13 can do the same.

-

What is the free-spin speed of the Sherman? If we compare it to these 140kph of the V13 and the Sherman's usable top speed, we know how fast this V13 usable top speed should be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes (in comparison to the same motor with fewer windings). Essentially, anything that allows the motor to be "grabbed" easily (like lots of windings, wider/stronger magnets) and thus gives you torque will also produce a stronger counterforce (back-EMF) to the rotation, decreasing the top speed. So you have to choose a tradeoff when constructing the motor.

The trick seems to be to have the voltage high enough so even a HT motor gives you plenty of speed. The Master is proof of that. The V13 can do the same.

-

What is the free-spin speed of the Sherman? If we compare it to these 140kph of the V13 and the Sherman's usable top speed, we know how fast this V13 usable top speed should be.

My OG Sherman has a free-spin of 106 kph but some of the newer ones are around 98 kph i think. It is a big step up. I think the suspension will be key here. I have never been able to push the Sherman to its limits due to the lack thereof. So if the Sherman can do 70 kph sustained, this one should in theory be able to pass 100 kph all else equal. In practice I think the difference will be smaller due to windresistance etc but still a substantial bump up in speed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, That Guy said:

I predict V13 will be struggling from the same issue as every other high performance wheel - huge range drop at high performance.

Wind resistance will always be there. You'll always get a huge range drop when going fast vs. going slow. Nothing the manufacturers can do against that. Whatever Wh/km (at speed x) we get from the current wheels we can expect from this V13. Or did you mean something else?

8 hours ago, techyiam said:

Will history repeat itself once again for the V13, like the last time when the euc community did gradually accept the then, big and heavy wheel, the Veteran Sherman?

The Sherman offered unprecedented performance, range, and speed at safety for that long range (due to the low voltage drop from the big battery) in a maximally compact, stable, tanky, popular "18" (aka 20) inch tire size package. Plus that new and cool, robust looking roll bar.

That's why I don't think it's directly comparable to these huge monster wheels like the V13 (presumably), Monster Pro, Abrams, and maybe the crazy heavy EX20S. They do seem more niche. They are just "big" to me, somehow the Sherman is not.

I never really understood these wheels (hated the Monster whenever I tried it, nimble like a freight train). But apparently many people seem to like them (and buy, always surprised at the number of Monster Pros in random videos). Maybe just because they are the biggest and baddest, but I guess enough just seem to like the drive characteristics. Big comfy and stable tire plus seated riding, who needs torque (without having to lean a million pounds) or effortless nimbleness?

So to me, Inmotion are just completing their wheel portfolio. The market seems to be there in general.

The dangers I see are that people will be a bit wary of IM quality after their latest fiascos, which has always been part of their selling point. More important for such a fast and (presumedly) expensive wheel. Also, can they beat Begode on performance? I almost expect BG to clone-improve this (after more info is available) and release their wheel (with more performance) and possibly it's successor before the V13 releases.

Well, I'm happy they are trying. I'm not going to buy this (zero interest in a 22 incher), but I hope it will be good and will find its fans. And maybe there is something new about it we don't know yet.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, zege said:

My OG Sherman has a free-spin of 106 kph but some of the newer ones are around 98 kph i think. It is a big step up. I think the suspension will be key here. I have never been able to push the Sherman to its limits due to the lack thereof. So if the Sherman can do 70 kph sustained, this one should in theory be able to pass 100 kph all else equal. In practice I think the difference will be smaller due to windresistance etc but still a substantial bump up in speed.

So if 70% of free-spin speed is a good rule-of-thumb for the sustainable top speed... 70% of 140 is 100:efefc8626c:

You're right, the limit might no longer be how crazy the rider is (well that is never going to go away), but plain wind resistance and physics. That's a step forward for EUCs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think perhaps we have reached the point where the battery pack modules should be designed so that battery packs can be swapped, or more packs can be added. More and more riders are now demanding more range, and/or more torque. Either of these requires more p's. Depending on a particular ride, a rider can then choose the right mix of packs, giving him the option to best make the compromise between range/torque, and weight/maneuverability. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Mango changed the title to Inmotion V13 Speculation