Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

12 hours ago, Funky said:

Does 80/80 vs 80/90 make tire larger in width also or only in height?

@Funky 80/90 will have the same width, but a higher/taller sidewall. MC tires being measured as width first, height second & then the rim diameter!

This link is to a very useful online tire size comparison chart/calculator that I use, which should help you enormously80/80-R14 vs 80/90-R14 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator (tacomaworld.com)

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

The thing is in the videos he compares 

H5102 to Heidanau K66 Motorcycle Tyre 80/80-14 43J.

I heard that H5102 has 70mm width.

How can 80/80 tire become ~70mm tire, when installed on wheel? Does the rim pull the tire and it becomes narrower?

Later post he showed 80/90 winter tire, it also had the same width as H5102.

80/80 and 80/90 tires can be way off from their designated measures. They can even be nearly identical from one manufacturer, and hugely different from another. Comparing widths with mm detail sounds frustrating.

IRC SN-26, the sizes were nearly identical, and hard to tell apart even when the tires were held side by side.

Heidenau K66, the sizes are hugely different, the 80/80 looking so small when installed that it looks like it would fit inside the 80/90.

Some 80/80 and even 80/90 tires can be narrower than an 18x3”, or even wider than a 2.75-14”. Usually they’re not though.

More real life details on tire sizing:

• Like 3

Went for a ride yesterday, only 20ish miles, not much in the way of trails, and was down to 35% battery (best I've done on the stock tire is 40 miles @ 6% battery).  Felt like I was going through battery quicker than with the stock tire, until I looked at my EUCWorld stats....I'm carrying a lot more speed now that I've been on the wheel for ~500 miles, and it finally dawned on me that I can't compare to earlier rides, where I was only running 15-20 mph, where now I'm up in the 22-25 mph range much more often.
Long and short, I don't think my higher battery usage is due to the tire (much), just that my comfort level/speeds are higher...

Still digging the tire, although I keep forgetting how low the pedals are, thus I keep getting spit off in ruts/rocky terrain when I clip a pedal!  It's not a dirt bike!! :) 

Edited by WillCO
Cruddy spelling

I put on a 2.5x14 I got on Amazon and I am pretty happy with it. No clearance problems as its slightly smaller than the original. Also had to get a 2.5" tube, the original was a little to big to use.

Tire-tube links -

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DCM4YI6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O5JO7C4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

WiBmUVLzB6D4XZ6AWwfrV1Gatg-srlR7-rlLWID941pHJmHDHAL._AC_.jpgTmRRLTpmdAGwbji8NA-Q74OtWj2vujqABmuUYkpd8mhqn0OCHgn8eZWmLX1Tpjlrs4IeG_lJPJKsTYoh

I also bought one of these, but the fit would have been really tight if it worked at all. I opted for more fender clearance instead of less, but I liked this tread better. 

If anyone wants to try it -

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08YMX63NM?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

71izv13PyyS._AC_SL1500_.jpg08gkOXsOTznppsGiMlqa2yx0xY6QrN0zVt7AyR5Z

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NErider said:

Would that sound like it is too big for an S18? 

Yes. The width is a narrow fit already on the MSX. I really don’t think there’s any hope to fit it on the S18 without modifying or removing the fender.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:47 AM, WillCO said:

@Tawpie Just installed the TR1 (which showed up pleasantly early today), says "Trials" on the side....but not TR1ALS.

Was expecting a fight after too many times changing dirt bike tires, turned out to be super easy! (admittedly, no bead to fight)  I've pinched enough tubes learning how, managed to avoid it tonight🤪

Only rode it up and down the street for a few minutes, but as previously mentioned, it definitely changes the handling, going to have to relearn turning! 

@5CauacThanks for the inspiration/information. 

I just ordered the IRC TR1 from Japan today. Did you find that you needed a new tube? If so, did you get it from ewheels? Or order one from Amazon like linked by someone se here? 

3 hours ago, NErider said:

I just ordered the IRC TR1 from Japan today. Did you find that you needed a new tube? If so, did you get it from ewheels? Or order one from Amazon like linked by someone se here? 

I actually re-used the stock tube, as the E-Wheels fire kept me from finding a new one in a timely fashion....

150 miles on it, no issues as yet.

I've since sourced a smaller tube (thanks @5Cauac for the info), but it's sitting in a box atm.

Edited by WillCO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Nice trail. Good ride. 

Thanks. :eff034a94a:

Not so fun however when your wheel wont turn back on half way down the trail. :furious:

I laid the wheel down to take a break and she wouldn't turn on after that. I had to stash the wheel in order to make the 4.5 mile hike back UP the hill. I barely made it back to the car before dark. Came back the next day with the Sherman to pick it up. It was not fun. :efee96588e: :efeff54d4a:

1 hour ago, WillCO said:

@5Cauac Yikes!  Did it resurrect itself, or still dead?

It's runnin but I'll need to be on the lookout for a bad Battery Pack. I've had the same issue before and took a couple of months before my Front Right pack went dead.

Going to make sure I balance at every charge in hopes it last longer.

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

Oh man. That looked to be a good bit of vert as well. At lest you had the sherm for the retrieval. Damn heavy wheel to carry even on another wheel. I think about that when I go off roading.

I knew what I was up against and brought along some shoulder straps to help with the carry back. It was still a BeAtch! I took a fire road back down the rest of the way before having to do the 4.5 miles back up the main dirt access road. Something I would not want to repeat. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 5:17 AM, WillCO said:

I actually re-used the stock tube, as the E-Wheels fire kept me from finding a new one in a timely fashion....

150 miles on it, no issues as yet.

I've since sourced a smaller tube (thanks @5Cauac for the info), but it's sitting in a box atm.

I reused the stock tube on the CST C-186 I installed, which is a TR-1 clone easily available in Europe for 40€.

It's just a no brainer to put a knobby tire if you ride trails. I didn't notice any need to change my ride behavior. It's also great on asphalt, with limited noise.

Added benefit: the tire is bigger so you are higher on the wheel, so I adjusted down the pedals to the middle position from high, which I didn't like as much (better fit to the pads on medium position.)

I notice +25% energy use on EUC World which seems a lot, with +6 10% higher speed. Maybe some spikes still rubbing, I didn't cut all of them off. I shall see over time.

I'm planning my first disassembly to replace some busted plastic and am looking for recommendations for swapping the stock tire for something better while I'm at it.  I do a combination of on-road and off-road and find the stock tire slips easily on the grass and mud when off-road and wobbles a bit more than I'd like when cruising on-road.  Many of the prior comments here are beyond my technical understanding at the moment, so I'm treading carefully and looking for something relatively straightforward that I can swap in without worrying about further mods.  I weigh 205lb (93kg) if that's important.  Direct links would be appreciated for both the tire and any inner tube required.

Near as I can tell you have two choices that won't require mods: the TR1 (for sure) and the H66 (probably—I think you'll have to order from overseas but try racingplanet.com). My used S18 came with the TR1 already fitted so I can't speak to differences between it and the stock tire, but I have liked it off road—it takes a bit of re-learning on road though. It doesn't like to start turning on pavement, you have to really lean it and once it starts to turn it wants to turn pretty aggressively. It feels a little like there's a transition zone between the center line of knobbie and the next set towards the tire's edge that you have to get over and when you do cross the boundary... it's a bit "boom, we're turning NOW".

I haven't done much technical riding off road yet, but so far grip in loose materials has met expectations and I haven't noticed any terrible turning problems. I think being on a looser surface in general makes a difference in the turning characteristics. On pavement it has too much grip (being a trials tire, I expect the TR1 has a fairly soft tread compound)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Kagenin said:

I imported it off Amazon Japan (shipping cost a tiny bit more than the tire itself).

Thanks @5Cauacand @Tawpie - I couldn't find the TR-1 in the US, so I've just put in the order from Amazon Japan using links shared earlier in this thread by @Kagenin.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Foo Barstein said:

I've just put in the order from Amazon Japan

I do think you'll be happy with it. The odd turning characteristics on pavement are likely just me needing to "get used to it, it's not a 16X". But do take it easy until you get acclimatized. I've done more figure 8s on the S18/TR1 than I'd done for months, still getting the hang of it. (it probably doesn't help that I ride an MTen3 in addition to the 16X and S18... three wheels with radically different turning characteristics)

• Like 2