Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

41 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

90/80 = 90 width.. You meant 80/90 maybe - that's 80 width 90 height.. 90/80 isn't the same as 80/90. :) Pirelli Ange smallest tire seems is 80/80-14, next size is what you mentioned 90/80 (90width will it fit??)

Edited by Funky

On 11/6/2020 at 1:32 AM, Beachboy said:

Is 90/90-14 tyre would fit in S18?

On 11/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, mrelwood said:

Most probably not. 2.75-14 and 80/90-14 are closer to an 18 x 3.0, at least in some 

56 minutes ago, Bizra6ot said:

First is width(80mm), second is height in % of the first(90% 80=72mm)

I just mentioned that 90/80 was wrong size. And i doubt it would fit S18 wheel well. (If i'm not mistaken)

Yeah most of us know that first number is given ~~width can be anywhere from 75to80mm (this case 80/80 example.) And second number "height" is % of first number 80/80 = ~64mm 80/90 = ~72mm. (Bigger knobbies = also bigger tire)

Edited by Funky

• 1 month later...

@enaon could you please explain a non native what "tramlining" means?

Tendency to go straight and need impulse to turn?

So do I get this right, the Heidenau fits without modifications and works well off-road?

59 minutes ago, reach said:

So do I get this right, the Heidenau fits without modifications and works well off-road?

If i get right "tramlining" means like tram going on rails.. The wheel wants to follow any small slope and dips on asphalt. As it has it's own mind. It wants to follow the path with less resistance.

K66 (the one i use right now.) Has none of that issue.

2 hours ago, reach said:

it is what Funcky said, the wheel will follow cracks and grooves for a bit, causing a cense of instability, although I do not really agree on the k66 having none. It is good, but not excellent, the IRC is the best I have tried on that aspect.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Edited by enaon

2 minutes ago, reach said:

@enaon you said "it is the one I settled at for city riding." This most knobby tire of them all!?!  I have no choice this is the best for offroad, but for city? Seriously?

I know it is strange, yet I really do not want to look down at the road when city riding, I want to be able to look for trafic conditions only. This tire allows me to to that with no surprises, it is always the same behavior, good grip and no tramlining at all, no matter the surface. So yes, I find it to be  the best safety wise for my style of riding, that is not fast.  

• Like 1

This discussion is great! I just bought a new S18 and 70 miles on I’m already looking to replace the stock tire. Has anyone been able to fit the K66 80/90 tire on the S18 without modification? I see there is speculation that it might fit bit would be tight. I want to make sure I order the right size. 

If the 80/90 doesn’t fit, is the K66 80/80 significantly better than the CY H666?

36 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

This discussion is great! I just bought a new S18 and 70 miles on I’m already looking to replace the stock tire. Has anyone been able to fit the K66 80/90 tire on the S18 without modification? I see there is speculation that it might fit bit would be tight. I want to make sure I order the right size. 

If the 80/90 doesn’t fit, is the K66 80/80 significantly better than the CY H666?

If you had read, or even look over past 11 pages you would know. :D 

Have seen many S18 with 80/90-14 K66 tire. Very tight fit doh, or so have heard. Some add washers on axle to "spread" the mud guard wider. Some remove it completely. All i know there are many S18 with K66 80/90 tire on them.

And also 80/80-14 tire will be closer to 18x2.5 tire size - at least in diameter. K66 80/80 diameter is 48cm on mark. < I got that on my ks18xl.. Original CST C-1488 tire diameter was 47.5cm.

Edited by Funky
80/80 size...
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Funky said:

If you had read, or even look over past 11 pages you would know. :D 

Have seen many S18 with 80/90-14 K66 tire. Very tight fit doh, or so have heard. Some add washers on axle to "spread" the mud guard wider. Some remove it completely. All i know there are many S18 with K66 80/90 tire on them.

And also 80/80-14 tire will be closer to 18x2.5 tire size - at least in diameter. K66 80/80 diameter is 48cm on mark. < I got that on my ks18xl.. Original CST C-1488 tire diameter was 47.5cm.

Thanks! So it sounds like you do need to do some modifications to get it on (which I’m hesitant to do). Even though it is smaller, I might give the 80/80 version of the K66 a try. Just need to wait for them to come in stock! 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

Thanks! So it sounds like you do need to do some modifications to get it on (which I’m hesitant to do). Even though it is smaller, I might give the 80/80 version of the K66 a try. Just need to wait for them to come in stock! 

I would go 80/90 personally.. (More air - more rim protection, more smooth ride, etc..) 80/80 is much smaller tire. You can see at 11page and 12page two people already mentioned (with photos) that they mounted 80/90 size.

At one point i was thinking about getting 80/90 for my 18xl, because after i mounted the 80/80 size tire, i still got 15mm spacing left, till tire hits inner shell. Meaning i could mount ~51cm diameter tire. Which 80/90 should be. (I got the whole euc lifted ~15mm, because aftermarket pedals.)

Maybe i will try to install k66 80/90 some day.. << On 18xl that originally supports 18x2.5" tire. That would be amazing. :w00t2: Doh i will need to trim the sides, as i did on 80/80 one. They both are 76mm wide originally.. I trimmed mine down to 66mm till side walls.

Edited by Funky

44 minutes ago, Funky said:

I would go 80/90 personally.. (More air - more rim protection, more smooth ride, etc..) 80/80 is much smaller tire. You can see at 11page and 12page two people already mentioned (with photos) that they mounted 80/90 size.

At one point i was thinking about getting 80/90 for my 18xl, because after i mounted the 80/80 size tire, i still got 15mm spacing left, till tire hits inner shell. Meaning i could mount ~51cm diameter tire. Which 80/90 should be. (I got the whole euc lifted ~15mm, because aftermarket pedals.)

Maybe i will try to install k66 80/90 some day.. << On 18xl that originally supports 18x2.5" tire. That would be amazing. :w00t2: Doh i will need to trim the sides, as i did on 80/80 one. They both are 76mm wide originally.. I trimmed mine down to 66mm till side walls.

Doh! I just saw the page eleven comments. I have been trying to use the forum search function to find information, but that has been frustrating. 

I’ll give the 80/90 a shot as the modifications needed are pretty minor. As you pointed out the shimming method works well to open the fender up. I guess the main points of contact are at the outer edges of the tire where it meets the mud guard/fender, hence spreading the fender open creates more clearance. 

Has anyone made a replacement mud guard that is taller? I guess that would start to interfere with the suspension linkages. 

Edited by Ksmack

17 minutes ago, Ksmack said:

Doh! I just saw the page eleven comments. I have been trying to use the forum search function to find information, but that has been frustrating. 

I’ll give the 80/90 a shot as the modifications needed are pretty minor. It seems that the shimming method works well to open the fender up. I guess the main points of contact are at the outer edges of the tire where it meets the mud guard/fender, hence spreading the fender open creates more clearance. 

Has anyone made a replacement mud guard that is taller? I guess that would start to interfere with the suspension linkages. 

About the "shims" "washers" i was talking about at 11 page you could check out that video. It would be easier to put washers around "axle" than between fenders.. (Also would look better in my mind.) :whistling: In that video he mentioned tire "rubbing" and how he fixed it.

Best thing you could do is "measure" your stock tire diameter, width, height from where tire/rim meets. (If you want to be sure, if it will fit. Or what you have to do/fix to make it fit.) :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

I'm very interested in that K66 tyre for my S18... It looks like a very good allrounder : still good shape for tarmac, but looks much better than the stock one for offroad and wet.

Can you please take a picture of the side of the wheel so I can make sure I order the same one ? I see there are different variations (i guess it is not the reinforced one RF, but I see some are 43J and some are TL, and I have no idea what that means :)-

Edited by w00loo

33 minutes ago, w00loo said:

Hello everybody.

I'm very interested in that K66 tyre for my S18... It looks like a very good allrounder : still good shape for tarmac, but looks much better than the stock one for offroad and wet.

Can you please take a picture of the side of the wheel so I can make sure I order the same one ? I see there are different variations (i guess it is not the reinforced one RF, but I see some are 43J and some are TL, and I have no idea what that means :)-

43J is on 80/80-14 size.

46P is on 80/90-14 size.

Both will fit S18. 80/80 is smaller size closer to 18x2.5" tire. 80/90 is little bigger that 18x3" tire. MOST people go 80/90-14 because it's bigger.

You need to look at 80/80-14 & 80/90-14 <<< Those are the sizes.

Don't look at other symbols.. If you want snow tire, then you need Heidenau K66 Snowtex

43J AND 46P  is weight/speed class symbols. Doesn't mater to euc - You wont go faster than 80mph.. :D and i doubt you weight 400lbs. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

haha good call on guessing my weight, i'm just under 400lbs like most french lol.

Thanks for the explainations. I just ordered the 80-80, hoping it'll be more nimble, since I never go full speed anyway. I hope I won't find it too small or less confortable because there is less air. What do you think ?

Best regards from the french alps.

Edited by w00loo

21 minutes ago, w00loo said:

haha good call on guessing my weight, i'm just under 400lbs like most french lol.

Thanks for the explainations. I just ordered the 80-80, hoping it'll be more nimble, since I never go full speed anyway. I hope I won't find it too small or less confortable because there is less air. What do you think ?

Best regards from the french alps.

It will be much smaller tire than your original. That's for sure. (2-3cm in diameter.) Most people go bigger tire, because more air - better rim protection. Also more smooth ride, as bigger tires = more air in it = more bump absorption. Smaller tire will be more "nimble".

If you want - you can measure your tire right now. From one side, to other side.. How big is it? 50cm, 51cm? in diameter.

K66 80/80-14 diameter is right on mark 48cm. < I got that right now. One big + is that it will fit without any problems. :D 

Edited by Funky

On 6/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, Funky said:

I have finally ordered the k66 in 80/90. I do offroad and more air will help... I hope fitting won't be too hard.

If the 80/90 was available in snowtex I would have gone for it, soft rubber is good, and where I live there is often snow.

Thanks! I'll try to post a video when I got it all installed and set up. 

Edited by w00loo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, w00loo said:

I have finally ordered the k66 in 80/90. I do offroad and more air will help... I hope fitting won't be too hard.

If the 80/90 was available in snowtex I would have gone for it, soft rubber is good, and where I live there is often snow.

Thanks! I'll try to post a video when I got it all installed and set up. 

Some people put "extra" washers one axle (between motor "/" pedals, so mudguard get's "spread" wider) < You need only to do that, if mudguard is rubbing.

Some people don't put the washers on axle, but between "mudguard" it self.  S18 mudguard is made from 2 separate parts i guess? Both ways work if you are rubbing.

Just a tip, if you have rubbing issue. :) 

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Some people put "extra" washers one axle (between motor "/" pedals, so mudguard get's "spread" wider) < You need only to do that, if mudguard is rubbing.

Some people don't put the washers on axle, but between "mudguard" it self.  S18 mudguard is made from 2 separate parts i guess? Both ways work if you are rubbing.

Just a tip, if you have rubbing issue. :) 

I initially tried the between the fender sections at first to make it wider, but still experienced rubbing on mine. It wasn't until I used the washers on the axle to space the fender evenly on both sides did the rubbing stop. It's a bit of a pain to get the axle washers seated right with the fender while placing the motor in, but not impossible, just takes patience.