Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

13 hours ago, itsmark said:

IIRC the Heidenaus are wider for their specified size than for example the IRC SN-26 that fits the V11 perfectly in size 80/90-14. I don’t think the S18 would take even the IRC though, the fender is really tight.

My guesswork could of course be completely wrong!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

I'm having a hell of a time getting a nice ride feeling from my new S18.  The stock tire (ewheels batch 3 so it's the Eakia with a solid centerline rib) was a bit less responsive than I'd like, but much more importantly it tramlined like crazy.  Tended to catch every paint line, faint crack in the road, etc. and yank the wheel sideways.  I swapped for a CY H-5102 (also in 18x3) and the tramlining is infinitely better but now (due to the more pronounced curvature of the tire) it wants to dive into corners so aggressively it's basically impossible to carve, and if you hit enough of a bump to compress the suspension it snaps into a tighter corner with enough bite that it's definitely going to give me a high-side sooner or later.  

I'm considering trying the C-1488 but wondering if anyone has input on how it behaves, preferably as compared to the Eakia but any input would be welcome.  Any other suggestions also welcome.

24 minutes ago, HamishTHaggis said:

I'm having a hell of a time getting a nice ride feeling from my new S18.  The stock tire (ewheels batch 3 so it's the Eakia with a solid centerline rib) was a bit less responsive than I'd like, but much more importantly it tramlined like crazy.  Tended to catch every paint line, faint crack in the road, etc. and yank the wheel sideways.  I swapped for a CY H-5102 (also in 18x3) and the tramlining is infinitely better but now (due to the more pronounced curvature of the tire) it wants to dive into corners so aggressively it's basically impossible to carve, and if you hit enough of a bump to compress the suspension it snaps into a tighter corner with enough bite that it's definitely going to give me a high-side sooner or later.  

I'm considering trying the C-1488 but wondering if anyone has input on how it behaves, preferably as compared to the Eakia but any input would be welcome.  Any other suggestions also welcome.

Before you go out and drop more money on a third tire, have you tried playing with the tire pressure a bit? I found the H5102 pretty compliant on the street, definitely way less dive-happy than the knobby that I currently have installed. I'm a bit weary of that C1488 tire since it's got the same center line thing, though there is a few videos on youtube with a guy that has one on his S-18. 

7 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

Before you go out and drop more money on a third tire, have you tried playing with the tire pressure a bit? I found the H5102 pretty compliant on the street, definitely way less dive-happy than the knobby that I currently have installed. I'm a bit weary of that C1488 tire since it's got the same center line thing, though there is a few videos on youtube with a guy that has one on his S-18. 

Thanks.  I have been playing with the pressure some.  I'm very hesitant to go very low though, just on the basis that I ride mostly in the city and unfortunately potholes and rough roads are a fact of life.  The 1488 does have a centerline, but the edges of it are at least not continuous channels the way they are on the Eakia, so it should catch less easily on cracks and paint lines.    I do plan to experiment a bit more with tire pressure but results are not promising so far.

11 hours ago, HamishTHaggis said:

Any other suggestions also welcome.

I had previously posted this earlier on in this topic, so you may find some useful info here:

On 6/12/2020 at 5:14, Mac said:

La semana pasada instalé el neumático Pirelli Angel Scooter. He probado otros y estaba a punto de rendirme cuando encontré este neumático. Cuando llegó el neumático, parecía demasiado grande, pero lo monté de todos modos. ¡Me alegro de haberlo hecho! 
Hice el tonto con el neumático OEM desde que tuve el S-18 y no pude evitar que rebotara y se tambaleara. POS barato.

Este neumático pertenece a una clase completamente diferente, es un neumático de carretera sólido. He estado montando este neumático increíble en la nieve y el hielo húmedo durante una semana. Lugares donde me costó ponerme de pie, esta cosa simplemente se las arregla para quedarse. El  80/80 - 14 M / C 43S REINFTL  tiene un precio muy competitivo de menos de $ 30. 

7517C9AC-1664-4F9F-A5DF-83CCABBC35DF.jpeg

He comprado este neumático siguiendo tu consejo. No Roza lateralmente?. Y pierde algo de diámetro exterior total? Tendrías una foto del neumatico montado.

4 minutes ago, Rafap306 said:

He comprado este neumático siguiendo tu consejo. No Roza lateralmente?. Y pierde algo de diámetro exterior total? Tendrías una foto del neumatico montado.

Google Translation: "I have bought this tire on your advice. Does it rub laterally ?. And loses some total outside diameter? You would have a photo of the mounted tire."

Welcome!

The forum language is english - please use online translation if you don't want or cannot directly post in english.

Another possibility is posting in "local group meet ups" in one of the spanish topics.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2020 at 5:14 AM, Mac said:

Last week I installed the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. I’ve tried others and was about to give up when I found this tire. When the tire arrived it looked too big, but I mounted it anyway. I’m glad I did! 
I fooled around with the OEM tire since I’ve had the S-18 and couldn’t stop it from bouncing and wobbling. Cheap POS.

This tire is in a completely different class, it’s a solid road tire. I’ve been riding this is incredible tire in the snow and wet ice for a week now. Places where I had a hard time standing up this thing just manages to stick. The 80/80 - 14 M/C 43S REINFTL is very competitively priced at under $30. 

7517C9AC-1664-4F9F-A5DF-83CCABBC35DF.jpeg

I have bought this tire on your advice.  Does it rub laterally ?.  And loses some total outside diameter?  You would have a photo of the mounted tire.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 11:09 PM, itsmark said:

I fitted a Heidanau K66 Motorcycle Tyre 80/80-14 43J TL to my S18.

It fitted my wheel without any modifications, however I'm aware that some S18's had misaligned mudguards (fenders) that made even the stock tyres rub!

I was curious to see how the profiles compared so I made a template.

The Heidanau 80/80-14 43J TL has a smaller diameter, I think I could have got away with an 80/90-14.

I still need to test ride it before giving any opinion!

Edited by NastyFartPants
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NastyFartPants said:

It fitted my wheel without any modifications, however I'm aware that some S18's had misaligned mudguards (fenders) that made even the stock tyres rub!

I was curious to see how the profiles compared

The Heidanau 80/80-14 43J TL has a smaller diameter, I think I could have got away with an 80/90-14.

It has lost a little outside diameter.  I think 80/90 -14 would be better.

4 hours ago, NastyFartPants said:

Let us know how it goes! That tire looks like a nice compromise between a street and a knobby. I might want to try that one next depending on how it turns out for you. What inner tube did you end up going with?

On 12/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, kevincymar said:

I just change the tire on my kingsong S18 using the Gotway MSX / Msuper Pro Tire (18 Inch 18x3.0) and it fits perfectly. The S18 original tire is very Slipway on grass which i don't like. I will test it out in over the weekend as it's been raining all day today in London.

So how does it ride on grass?  And have you tested in any off-road or MTB trails?

On 1/27/2021 at 4:20 AM, NastyFartPants said:

I was curious to see how the profiles compared so I made a template.

Any updates?  how is it riding?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, Rafap306 said:

I just got back home had to leave my wheels here. Can’t haul them on the plane. Here’s a pic of my son riding the S-18 with the Pirelli tire. 

On 7/2/2021 at 8:33, Mac said:

Acabo de volver a casa y tuve que dejar mis ruedas aquí. No puedo subirlos al avión. Aquí hay una foto de mi hijo montando el S-18 con el neumático Pirelli. 

if you mounted it with camera like you did.  did you take it to a workshop?  I have punctured my camera when trying to mount it because of the hardness of the tire.

No, fue bastante fácil ponerme el neumático. Debe colocar el borde del neumático en el centro de la rueda y debe continuar con la mano. Herramientas no necesarias. Es posible que necesite otro amigo para ayudarle.

También bloquear la rueda hacia arriba fuera de su banco de trabajo por lo que el neumático puede colgar hacia abajo.

Edited by Mac

2 hours ago, Mac said:

No, fue bastante fácil ponerme el neumático. Debe colocar el borde del neumático en el centro de la rueda y debe continuar con la mano. Herramientas no necesarias. Es posible que necesite otro amigo para ayudarle.

También bloquear la rueda hacia arriba fuera de su banco de trabajo por lo que el neumático puede colgar hacia abajo.

As Chriull mentioned previously, the forum language is English.
@Rafap306 switched to that (thank you) so lets stick to it..

Sorry to be finger waving here, but we can't refuse some and allow others.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 4:36 PM, Whalesmash said:

Let us know how it goes! That tire looks like a nice compromise between a street and a knobby. I might want to try that one next depending on how it turns out for you. What inner tube did you end up going with?

On 2/1/2021 at 3:33 PM, dsd317 said:

So how does it ride on grass?  And have you tested in any off-road or MTB trails?

On 2/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, pkinpdx said:

Any updates?  how is it riding?

Firstly, I am a new inexperienced rider, only 400km, this is my first wheel and I’m old (58) so act on my views accordingly!

I like this tyre.

The Heidanau K66 80/80-14 has a smaller diameter than the stock Chao Yang H-5102, with the result being that the wheel speed displayed is approximately 7% faster than the GPS speed, however, this is easily compensated for in the EUC World App.

Screenshot_2021-02-14-18-27-12-307_net.l

I found that tyre pressure is important, whereas I rode at 35psi on the stock tyre (I weigh 80kg) that pressure felt too twitchy for me, so I ride this at 30psi.

It's a tubeless tyre which I run with the original tube!

I ride mostly on trails and I much prefer this tyre, it feels nimbler and grippier, but I don’t notice it being anymore stable at high speed on the road,  I still get wobbles at the same speed as the stock tyre.  Of course I know this is due to my lack of experience, not the tyres.

I am aware that the latest batch of S18’s come with an EAKIA  tyre which could potentially be even better!

Finally, even though I really like this tyre I also have a IRC SN26 Urban Snow 80/90-14 which I will attempt to fit in the near future.  So stay tuned!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:39 PM, HamishTHaggis said:

I have about 500km with the C-1488. My S18 came with the 5102 (slippery as hell; it caused me to fall quite badly once because I slipped on a wet paved road; plus it got a hole in it -- no puncture -- before the first 200km) and as soon as I installed the C-1488, I lost fear that I may fall when taking corners, going through muddy patches, etc. I gained in traction (not just off-road with mud, grass, etc. but also in the city), but lost a bit in stability due to the line in the center. I got used to it, though, and my overall experience has been good.

I am looking for other options, though -- ideally a 'hybrid' tire that will work well off-road, but will also behave nicely on the road. I am thinking something like the stock tire on the Monster 100V. The Heidenau K66 80/90 -14 TL 46 P RF looks like a decent option for me.

I received my  S18 in late December and it shipped with the Jiluer J1836.  Avoid this tire.  I has this annoying tendency to initiate wobbles at strange speeds.  For example, I may be fine going 10-22mph or 26-30mph on a given street, but if I stray into the 23-25 range it will start a wobble that i need to brake or accelerate out of.  And the speed is different for different street textures.  Changing tire pressure only changed the speed that it did it at.  None of the wobbles were unrecoverable from but it was annoying.  I finally took it off because of a tire failure.  I made a poor jumping decision and came a little short of clearing a median.  the impact with the curb slightly damaged the tread but also opened a giant hole on the inside.  Very poor reinforcement.  I was really hoping the Heidanau K66 80/80-14 would be the one to replace it with but I cant get anyone to ship that tire to the US.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pkinpdx said:

I was really hoping the Heidanau K66 80/80-14 would be the one to replace it with but I cant get anyone to ship that tire to the US.

Give Revzilla a call about that tire. Coming from the motorcycle world, these guys are awesome. They aren't showing it in stock, but they should be able to tell you how long it will take/if they can. Here's the link:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/heidenau-k66-4-season-scooter-tires

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pkinpdx said:

I received my  S18 in late December and it shipped with the Jiluer J1836.  Avoid this tire.  I has this annoying tendency to initiate wobbles at strange speeds.  For example, I may be fine going 10-22mph or 26-30mph on a given street, but if I stray into the 23-25 range it will start a wobble that i need to brake or accelerate out of.  And the speed is different for different street textures.  Changing tire pressure only changed the speed that it did it at.  None of the wobbles were unrecoverable from but it was annoying.  I finally took it off because of a tire failure.  I made a poor jumping decision and came a little short of clearing a median.  the impact with the curb slightly damaged the tread but also opened a giant hole on the inside.  Very poor reinforcement.  I was really hoping the Heidanau K66 80/80-14 would be the one to replace it with but I cant get anyone to ship that tire to the US.

My S18 also came with the Jiluer J1836. I haven't experienced any wobbles at any speed with it. 29-31 psi seems to be the sweet spot for 150lb rider. I actually love the way it carves on pavement. It turns naturally. It doesnt fall more than you want it to and doesnt try to straighten up out of the turn. It does ok offroad but I wish the S18 came with a sherman style hybrid tire.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, Elliott Reitz said:

2.50-14 knobby (including CST-803):  Yes I believe it will fit the S18 since I used one easily with my MSX.  It will be great off road.  On road it will be interesting how much of the road-vibration you feel with the suspension on the S18.

The K262:  That didn't take any knob shaving but I did have to cut the inner fender due to its larger circumference (20").

Shinko SR244 and SR241:  I doubt these will fit without knob shaving and even then you may be challenged to keep clearance for the wiring if you can even get it to spin.  The knob-shaved SR241 on my MSX is 3.3/8 width while the cavity is just under 3.5". The cavity width on the S18 is also 3.5" but the wheel isn't exactly centered in the cavity either.  Maybe the spacers could be changed out to better center the wheel... too much trouble compared to the K262 option.  The SR244 and SR241 also have larger circumference (20") than the stock wheel (inner fender won't fit without cutting out 75% of it).

CST-186:  I haven't seen these available in the USA.  They might be closer to the K262 width since I recall someone putting one on an MSX.  Others have also put the K262 on MSX/MSP without need of knob shaving.

20200827_112612c.JPG

20200827_112622c.JPG

20200831_163632.jpg

For the K262, you said you had to cut the inner fender, what type of cutting was required? 

14 minutes ago, AustinChat said:

For the K262, you said you had to cut the inner fender, what type of cutting was required? 

It basically requires a removal of the entire fender except for the left side which houses the hull sensor/motor connection point

• Like 1