Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

3 hours ago, brendan12345 said:

NAstyfatPAnts video he shows the fender clearance of a k66 80/80 and by the looks its about an 18.5 inch outside diameter. The stock s18 tire has about a 19.5 inch outside diameter, which is basically the maximum outside diameter for non fender removal etc. 20inches is way too big. And as far as side rubber clearance, it is a lot easier to cut or sand and shim if it is rubbing. So @ mrelwood I would really just like to know the outside diameter of the k66 80/90?? that's if you have it on hand and can measure it etc.. Would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted k66 tire also for mine 18xl.. What i found was that tire width is around ~74-76mm.. Height wise from where tire/rim meets is 65mm

That's for 80/90tire..  80/80 width was the same.. If you would cut side "knobs" the width would be around ~68-70mm.

Edited by Funky

On 12/27/2021 at 11:36 PM, brendan12345 said:

Are you saying that the k66 80/90 does not fit on the s18?

I’m not saying that, as I do not know whether it fits or not. But I would be extremely surprised if it did, since it’s a big tire and the S18 owners have generally had a hard time finding replacement tires that fit. And even the original drags on the fender a bit too easily on some units.

Edited by mrelwood

19 hours ago, Funky said:

I wanted k66 tire also for mine 18xl.. What i found was that tire width is around ~74-76mm.. Height wise from where tire/rim meets is 65mm

That's for 80/90tire..  80/80 width was the same.. If you would cut side "knobs" the width would be around ~68-70mm.

Thankyou very much. It looks like it will fit with initial rubbing. Meanwhile I just fitted a DURO 2.75-14 4PR HF315, under the fender. It has about the same measurements. Rubing sound was minimal and is almost gone after one ride. It turns liike a dream on the road too with no tracking and has almost no rolling noise. A local motobike shop here in NZ had it lying around.

31Yac7pGHLL._AC_.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, brendan12345 said:

NAstyfatPAnts video he shows the fender clearance of a k66 80/80 and by the looks its about an 18.5 inch outside diameter. The stock s18 tire has about a 19.5 inch outside diameter, which is basically the maximum outside diameter for non fender removal etc. 20inches is way too big. And as far as side rubber clearance, it is a lot easier to cut or sand and shim if it is rubbing.

I think tou will have no problem fitting the k66 80/90-14 on the s18 height wise, the metzeler 80/90-14 fits fine, and it is a big form tire. It is the sides I am worried about, the s18 has a narrow rim, and forces tires to become slimmer, but as the sidewall gets bigger it allows for width. 

i like the one above, please do a review after some miles. 

Edited by enaon

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch wish I had reviewed this before I spent my money. My King Song s18 tire is worn after 3000 miles and its the original Chao Yang 18x3.0 tire. 

So due to the backlog I went for (what I thought was a comparable replacement) https://www.amazon.com/Duro-3-00-18-Classic-Vintage-Motorcycle/dp/B00D6OLCN6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XHX9STBHNMMU&keywords=duro+hf319&qid=1642435670&sprefix=duro+HF319%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1

I was wrong. Now starting over. Searching for a good all around tire.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, rsom said:

Ouch wish I had reviewed this before I spent my money. My King Song s18 tire is worn after 3000 miles and its the original Chao Yang 18x3.0 tire. 

So due to the backlog I went for (what I thought was a comparable replacement) https://www.amazon.com/Duro-3-00-18-Classic-Vintage-Motorcycle/dp/B00D6OLCN6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XHX9STBHNMMU&keywords=duro+hf319&qid=1642435670&sprefix=duro+HF319%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-1

3.00-18..

That's right there is wrong. You need -14.

Please check this tread >>

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, rsom said:

So….I went for (what I thought was a comparable replacement)

Don’t feel bad, I did the same thing. 

9 hours ago, Tawpie said:

email eWheels... they had a special run of H666s made and have (had?) them in stock but you must email them. It's a really great tire.

Thanks Tawpie. I just ordered two. My first (finally) purchase from Ewheels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

I decided to move away from the 2.5-14 knobby tire I had mounted.

do you recal maker/model?

I have installed the irc 2.50-14 gs45f.
https://ircmoto.com/collections/youth/products/kids-motocross-gs-45f

it is like a 80/90-14,  tight fit for the s18, 19 inch diameter, and I am really impressed.

photo_2022-01-18_04-53-19.thumb.jpg.3bf1f076a237d67454f7cc164c92d112.jpg

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, enaon said:

do you recal maker/model?

I have installed the irc 2.50-14 gs45f.
https://ircmoto.com/collections/youth/products/kids-motocross-gs-45f

it is like a 80/90-14,  tight fit for the s18, 19 inch diameter, and I am really impressed.

It was a YuanXing Px75 tire or something along those lines. Tons of rebrands of the tire exist. I bought it under the name MMG from amazon. I posted about it on this thread somewhere on page four or five.

1 hour ago, Whalesmash said:

It was a YuanXing Px75 tire or something along those lines. Tons of rebrands of the tire exist. I bought it under the name MMG from amazon. I posted about it on this thread somewhere on page four or five.

nice, thank you. 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:17 PM, Whalesmash said:

I have since been running with a Hiedenau K66 80/90-14 tire and have been much happier.

Nice to see that you got it to fit! I really love this tire on the V11. The 80/80-14 version is smaller and would probably fit on the S18 without any mods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enaon said:

I really like the IRC GS-45F on the s18 :)

photo-2022-01-24-20-02-49.thumb.jpg.184aa2d23acf93c96d16ce3a2eec44e7.jpg

photo_2022-01-24_17-45-34.jpg

Oh wow Snow in Athens indeed! How often does that happen?

Was it your first time? Hi from Sweden 👋😁 where there's plenty of opportunities to ride in the snow.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 12:17 PM, Whalesmash said:

As an update to some of my previous posts, I decided to move away from the 2.5-14 knobby tire I had mounted. Six months ago I decided to go back towards a more hybrid style tire as the narrow width of the knobby and smaller overall diameter started to get irksome. The decreased range got really annoying since the wheel already doesn't have great range and the twitchiness of the narrower tire was just something I couldn't get around to. I have since been running with a Hiedenau K66 80/90-14 tire and have been much happier. It is definitely a compromise between a dedicated street tire or a knobby, and doesn't do either end of the spectrum as well in either end's dedicated roles, but it sits in a happy middle ground of good general performance. I did have to play with tire pressures a bit in order to find a happy spot, but even at high pressure, I found it to be less dive happy than the knobby I was using. I did have some rubbing problems with this tire though, but I have mitigated it by shoving a few washers between the fender split (visible in the first picture). It will still rub if I really yank it into a turn, but it's only a very light touch and not enough to cause wear to the tire or fender, just produces a bit of noise under high lean.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

Thanks for the tip with the washers. I ordered this tire in September and after days off fighting it with rubbing I gave up and went back to my old tire. I'm gonna give it a go again now since I'm tearing my wheel apart now for some maintenance.

24 minutes ago, spitfire1337 said:

Thanks for the tip with the washers. I ordered this tire in September and after days off fighting it with rubbing I gave up and went back to my old tire. I'm gonna give it a go again now since I'm tearing my wheel apart now for some maintenance.

There's also this video. He had rubbing at sides. Also used washers, but around axles.. May help.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Funky said:

There's also this video. He had rubbing at sides. Also used washers, but around axles.. May help.

Fantastic, this is what completely eliminated it for me. Although I couldn't fit a washer with the spacer kingsong used I made up my own spacer consisting of some 18mm shims against the motor and 2 fender washers to sandwich the fender between creating an even spacing of the fender on both sides.402869514_20220223_1802252.thumb.jpg.9659f6089678751d0dd245325be91380.jpg

Wow. It seems to me that the further out of parallel your tubes are, the more binding you create for the suspension. I took great pains to make sure the stock spacers on the axle were not spreading the tubes when I re worked my suspensions. But that’s just my “ob-comp” tendencies. Both my s18’s had binding issues with the suspension. Took  a lot of time and effort to get the axle sitting just right (filing/shims on the cast sliders) They both (wheels) move freely through the whole throw now.

Edited by OldFartRides
Edited for Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 10:04 AM, enaon said:

thank you very much for this comment, this tire makes the s18 work as it should, the suspension now feels solid. 

I felt from day one that the original tire being able to bend because it was soft was introducing unwanted behavior, now I am sure. Three s18 users tested the Pirelli today, all agree that it takes the s18 to another level of stability when turning and using the suspension, no wobbles on high speed/

the s18 needs a proper tire and the pirelli angel fits just fine. 

IMG-20210326-085717912.jpg

https://streamable.com/lxvt1k

What size is that?  Any other recommendations also welcome, I live in the US.