Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

9 hours ago, fbhb said:

No sorry, the 18XL tire size is Only 18x2.5" so in a narrower fitment than the 18x3" fitted as standard to the S18.

thank you, I started an 18XL thread as the result of this info. 

thought I could plug and play the same info lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the tire the S18 SHOULD HAVE came installed with.

It did take a while to get used to as this has different riding characteristics than the stock tire.

Hands down the best upgrade you can get for your S18!!!

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 6:32 PM, 5Cauac said:

It did take a while to get used to as this has different riding characteristics than the stock tire

@5Cauac I bought a used S18 fitted with an IRL TR1ALS. [EDIT: nope, it says TRIALS with a capital i]... is that the tire you demoed in your video (it looks like it says TR1ALS on the sidewall)? I'm coming from a 16X with an H666 that turns on a dime, and this beastie is making me relearn turning. Reminds me of an F350 crew cab with dualies. Are its turning characteristics what you're referring to when you say it rides differently than the stock tire?

Edited by Tawpie
correction of what it actually says on the sidewall

Well, I've got the TR1 on the way from Japan (Nov 10th-ish delivery).

@5Cauac I saw in your YouTube comments you had to buy a new tube, 18x2.5.  Where did you source this?  I ask as I'm guessing a standard dirtbike 18x2.5 tube won't have the correct valve stem....

Thanks!

On 10/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, WillCO said:

Well, I've got the TR1 on the way from Japan (Nov 10th-ish delivery).

@5Cauac I saw in your YouTube comments you had to buy a new tube, 18x2.5.  Where did you source this?  

Sorry for the late reply. Been in a bit of a rut after the death of my dog Mini (Old Age + Pyometra).

I got the tube from Ewhweels.com  Be sure to not lose the shims when removing your wheel. Don't lose them and remember where each one went. It will make alignment way easier upon reinstalling the wheel. ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Sorry for the late reply. Been in a bit of a rut after the death of my dog Mini (Old Age + Pyometra).

I got the tube from Ewhweels.com  Be sure to not lose the shims when removing your wheel. Don't lose them and remember where each one went. It will make alignment way easier upon reinstalling the wheel. ;)

Thank you!  Just pulled the wheel apart to change the suspension bearings, gonna have to do it again when the wheel shows up...least I now know how to quickly get it apart!

Luckily, there were only 2 shims over 1 side of the axle, I set them aside w/a picture or two to remind me where they go.

Sorry for your loss, like losing a family member. :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that @WillCO. Probably the same tire. I don't have a reference point for the S18 with another tire, but all in all the tire has been very capable so far. I do suspect that as a "Trials" tire (not 'trails'), the rubber compound in the tread and sidewalls is probably quite soft so I expect it to wear quickly on pavement. I guess we'll see but I'm trying to limit the pavement riding just-in-case... my 16X is fine for cruising.

After the Southern California Tour debacle I'm watching how it handles mud very carefully—there's zero room in the wheel well for buildup. So far the tread blocks have shed what I've been riding in but I am constantly keeping an eye on it. The weird muck I was in a couple weekends ago is ash left by a wildfire on top of dust (no rain this summer) and turned muddy by fall rain. Pretty deep, not terribly sticky and the tire didn't clog up at all.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WillCO said:

Only rode it up and down the street for a few minutes, but as previously mentioned, it definitely changes the handling, going to have to relearn turning! 

@5CauacThanks for the inspiration/information. 

My pleasure. Glad to hear it also went as smoothly as I found it to be.

You'll get used to the riding characteristics after several miles of riding. I did forget to mention that I also shaved off the "rubber hairs" off the center of the tire. (less resistance) They probably would have came off on their own in time but why stress out the motor till then. :)  

On 10/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, Tawpie said:

@5Cauac I bought a used S18 fitted with an IRL TR1ALS... is that the tire you demoed in your video (it looks like it says TR1ALS on the sidewall)? I'm coming from a 16X with an H666 that turns on a dime, and this beastie is making me relearn turning. Reminds me of an F350 crew cab with dualies. Are its turning characteristics what you're referring to when you say it rides differently than the stock tire?

No to the IRL TR1ALS. The tire says Trials as @WillCO stated. ( I painted my lettering white for a better look)

Yes to the turning characteristics. I took me several miles before getting used to it. (Leaned alot)

26 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

I did forget to mention that I also shaved off the "rubber hairs" off the center of the tire. (less resistance) They probably would have came off on their own in time but why stress out the motor till then. :)  

I had read in another thread about someone pulling off the rubber hairs, so spent 15 minutes with a pair of curved modeling scissors snipping away. Left the middle strip, figure they'll wear out pretty quick!

Just did my first "long" ride (10 miles or so) on the TR1....observations.

Much better off-road.  Hooks up like a trials tire should, grass/dirt/rocks, just handles it.  Took a smooth(ish) dirt horse-trail at a nearby park that I'd done a while back, was able to crank it up comfortably over the stock tire, traction was great.

Gonna take some getting used to on pavement/hard-pack.  I went blazing into a paved corner I can usually arc around cleanly, and it dipped in early and almost sent me into a curb (yes, I forgot I was on a new tire).  Feels a lot like when I went from cast to forged wheels on my street bike, turn-in became a lot quicker, took a while to get used to it on the bike. 

Need to learn a different technique for low speed turns, due to the "tippy" (for lack of a better word) sensation.  Not a scary sensation, just different, gotta adapt!  Think I drug pedals more today while turning than I have since I've owned it!

I'd started with a rather high pressure (32 psi), wow was it twitchy!  Stopped after a 1/2 mile and "burped" the tire, felt a lot better (going to go out in a minute and see where it ended up pressure-wise).  May go a little lower depending on where it is now.

As someone commented (here or another thread, don't remember, I'm old!), it felt like it used a touch more battery.  I'll try and compare on a known distance (previously run) route.  Wondering if there's a setting in EUC World to allow/compensate for the slightly larger diameter?  Was 3/10 of a mile less mileage than my wife's bike reported over a ~10 mile trip, tho I'd not compared them closely before today...

Overall, I'm quite happy with the TR1.  Need some more time on it (30 miles planned w/my wife riding her e-bike tomorrow, mountain bike trail solo on Saturday), but it's a keeper!  :) 

Edited by WillCO
  • Like 3

I’ve been using the TR1 for quite a while. Great tire especially off road. I too felt that it was twitchy on road

when I first got it and lowered the pressure down to around 29-30. As I got used to the tire I’m now happier at 33-35.

Today I pulled the TR1 off and installed a Pirelli Angel as I think I’m going to be doing more street riding for the next while. Holy crap is the Pirelli ever hard to get on the rim compared to the TR1. Feels much harder and substantial. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

• Like 3

I don't weight much so I can get away running mine aired down... 25 psi. At 10+ mph, it turns gracefully but at low speed it a) doesn't want to turn and b) when it does, it tends to fall over... I think I'm moving off the center blocks onto the side blocks. So far I've just hopped off and turned around rather than trying to turn in the width of double track. I need more practice at lower speed. Yaw steering seems just fine though, so it's more a matter of getting used to how it behaves when tilt steering than anything.

• Like 1

Just hopped off after a 25 mile mixed paved/dirt.   Oy, my legs/knees are tired!

Getting more comfortable on-road turning, getting a LOT more comfortable off-road, period!  I ran some trails that I'd tried w/the stock tire (and failed in a couple places), with the TR1 it just tracked, and climbed hills that were daunting before, if not downright not possible at my current skill level (which is to say, rookie skill level).

Don't know if it's psychological, but it felt easier to get mounted uphill/downhill than with the stocker.

Definitely used more battery than I usually do, but was off-road (and quicker) a whole lot more than I usually am, so no empirical data.

I have a V12 coming from EUCO (2 months out yet, sigh), think I'll use it for on-road, S18 for off-road, best of both worlds?!?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WillCO said:

I have a V12 coming from EUCO (2 months out yet, sigh), think I'll use it for on-road, S18 for off-road, best of both worlds?!?

precisely why I'm getting the stink eye from my better half these days... "but this one is for this and that one for that"

• Like 1

I got modded kingsoong 18xl with hextech pedals.

The wheel casing sits much higher now. From tire to case there's ~1cm ~(0.40 inches) more space.

I measured casing width, it's around 7.3cm (2.875 inches)

Could i fit any 18x3 tire in that width?

(Sorry for posting here, i know this post is for 18s, but i was looking also for 18x3 tire) :P

On 11/13/2021 at 3:40 PM, Funky said:

I measured casing width, it's around 7.3cm (2.875 inches)

Could i fit any 18x3 tire in that width?

While the narrowest 18x3 tire the CY H-5102 could just barely fit, it wouldn’t leave much room to the sides. Besides, I don’t think it’s a tire worth installing even if it does fit.

But “any” 18x3? In a 2.875” opening? Umm… Guess? :P

Edited by mrelwood

On 1/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, NastyFartPants said:

I fitted a Heidanau K66 Motorcycle Tyre 80/80-14 43J TL to my S18.

It fitted my wheel without any modifications, however I'm aware that some S18's had misaligned mudguards (fenders) that made even the stock tyres rub!

I was curious to see how the profiles compared so I made a template.

The Heidanau 80/80-14 43J TL has a smaller diameter, I think I could have got away with an 80/90-14.

I still need to test ride it before giving any opinion!

Anyone knows H-5102 <or> Heidanau 80/80-14 43J TL

Tire width?

If they are the same size. Could go for Heidanau 80/80-14 43J TL

Does 80/80 vs 80/90 make tire larger in width also or only in height?

Edited by Funky