Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

7 hours ago, JimmyB said:

given that the tyre's a fair bit wider than the rim, there's about 4mm either side of the rim between the rim and the tyre wall where the inner tube is exposed.

This doesn’t sound at all right. Could you take a photo on what you mean by the above? Perhaps something in the install went horribly wrong. No part of the inner tube can ever be exposed at all, or the tire is a ticking time bomb.

hey mrelwood,

thanks for your reply.

Here's a pic.

I've blown the tyre up to 30 PSI so far, and its outer width is 85mm. The black line next to the wheel rim is the inner tube showing through, in the gap between the rim and the tyre wall.

I've done my best to space out the (stock) inner tube and inflated it slowly and carefully. I can't centre the wheel too easily until my EUC Army stand for the S18 arrives...and I'm the first to admit that this is my first ever tyre change, I normally get a bike shop to do my bike tyres, but I don't think they'd touch EUCs.

I can hardly believe I've got the right item - but the product code Mac gave in his post below was so specific - I'm stumped...maybe further inflating it will fix it as enaon suggests?

Advice appreciated, thanks!

Edited by JimmyB

5 hours ago, JimmyB said:

hey mrelwood,

thanks for your reply.

Here's a pic.

I've blown the tyre up to 30 PSI so far, and its outer width is 85mm. The black line next to the wheel rim is the inner tube showing through, in the gap between the rim and the tyre wall.

I've done my best to space out the (stock) inner tube and inflated it slowly and carefully. I can't centre the wheel too easily until my EUC Army stand for the S18 arrives...and I'm the first to admit that this is my first ever tyre change, I normally get a bike shop to do my bike tyres, but I don't think they'd touch EUCs.

I can hardly believe I've got the right item - but the product code Mac gave in his post below was so specific - I'm stumped...maybe further inflating it will fix it as enaon suggests?

Advice appreciated, thanks!

can you take a coupe more photoes from a different angle? If you really see the tube, the tire is wrong, can you take a picture of the markings as well? 

• Like 2

I don't know what to say..

The markings are good, the same as mine, the tire is not ofcource, it is a lot bigger than it should, no way to fit it there, don't waste more time. 

how could this be?

Edited by enaon

thanks for the swift reply enaon - it's a total mystery eh?!

I've bought loads online over the years without any issues - yet this is the second time in a month that I've ordered something based on precise part number info, and ended up with a seemingly completely different product...weird...

I've just ordered a CST 6004 2.75-14 6PR tyre from Alibaba.com, will give that a go instead, fbhb rated it highly in his S18 overhaul post.

cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

thanks enaon - mine's a front wheel, 43S Reinf TL Front, Pirelli product barcode 8 019227 292572.

I'm assuming yours is a front wheel too?

yes, front one. This makes no sence, was it a legit distributer? This cannot be QC problem, is way bigger, like a different one.

I bought my Pirelli Angel tyre from max-honda-spares on ebay - seems legit, official Pirelli stickers everywhere on it and the seller's got a good reputation.

Maybe time to try buying from elsewhere. What's the width of your tyre at the outer tread please enaon? Mine's 86mm...even upping the psi a lot, it'd never fit.

20 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Mine's 86mm

mine is 49cm, aprox because it is fitted and I cannot measure with presision, but the difference is huge, and in line with the picture. It looks like you have the 16C with wrong markings ?

35 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

What's the width of your tyre at the outer tread please enaon?

Ahh, sorry, you mean the width, I was talking outside diameter, one sec. 

it is close to 70mm, but that is not the problem I think, mine looked very wide when I got it, it got thinner then fitted and pumped up, the rim forced it so. But yours is a 15, 16 maybe, it doesnt look like it is made for a 14inch rim. 

this is how wide it was on arival 

https://streamable.com/lxvt1k

Edited by enaon

52 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I've just ordered a CST 6004 2.75-14 6PR tyre from Alibaba.com, will give that a go instead, fbhb rated it highly in his S18 overhaul post.

I recently installed the same tire on my Sherman V2 (wide rim) after reading @fbhb and found it excellent both on street and off-road. I'm sure it'll be great on your S18 too.
A very good knobby could perform better for technical off-road especially if there's mud, but in the meantime I'm very impressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Wow, let us know how it performs off AND on road (if you take it on road).

I've ride approx 500km on the new tyre and I still feel not very confident on it.

It's very different than the original one.

When you lean the wheel on one side, it keeps going straight (very useful on side slopes). If you exceed a certain degree of inclination, it suddenly turns abruptly. It's no easy to have a smooth turn.

Riding on road, in wide turns, I usually tent to lean the wheel on the outer leg (z style). With the knobby tyre, the wheel tents to fall onto the inner leg by it's own, changing trajectory.

Carving side by side, now is almost impossible for me without all the senses in every turn (and is not the same joy)

It's also very sensitive to pressure.

Max pressure is about 32psi (2,2 bar) as indicated in the tyre side.

For my weight (65kg) recommended pressure is 1,6 bar (that seems to be very low on standard tyres). With this pressure, riding straight over broken paths is very smooth but the behaviour described was exaggerated. Every turn was like a hiccup.

I tried with 2.5 bar (over Max recommended) and the strange behaviour almost disappear but off road seemed to be very hard.

Now I'm riding with 1.9bar and trying to relearn to ride.

I mainly bought it for the mud season (October-November) still to came. I have a pair of s18 (mine and my son) so I can compare easily. After mud season we will decide to change my son's tyre or not.

This is the kind of terrain we usually ride (just an example, still with the original tyre). 90% of our rides are off road.

https://youtu.be/PmT9RLRpqks (downhill)

https://youtube.com/shorts/F07Mc-oQ6V0?feature=share (uphill)

I think the original tyre has a nice balance for on-road/off-road riding, but mud terrain is a pain on it.

Edited by ffontana
  • Like 1

hi @mrelwood,

The distance between tyre inner walls round the tyre bead is 50mm; the KingSong motor rim thickness is 40mm.

As an utter novice at tyre changing, I may well be doing something v. dumb here, but it felt like there was no way that the tyre could go inside the rim - it was wider by 10mm and inflating the inner tube to 30 psi didn't resolve that.

Cheers

Jimmy

@JimmyB every tire is held in place by the rim and when assembled, the rim/bead interface has enough friction to avoid the tire getting off the rim in turns and transmit acceleration or braking forces.

The inner tube under pressure makes sure that the tire keeps its shape and also presses the tire bead against the rim.

EUCs typically have narrower rims than mopeds or motorcycles, and the tire you chose is rather rigid which explains the difference in dimensions you observed. With some effort and using the right technique (and likely: tools like tire levers), it will be possible to get the tire inside the rim as it should be.

• Like 2

Good eye there Mr Elwood. I looked at the first pic only and totally missed that.

Jimmy B. You need to study up a bit on EweTube U. , esp. how NOT to pinch the tube. It’s very easy to put a hole in a tube when getting that sucker where it needs to be.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

thanks a lot for the advice folks - it was indeed dumbness on my own part - I didn't realise how flexible the tyre walls were.

I was able to lever the rim over both sides of the tyre.

In a nutshell...

...it's on! :-)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Amarucide said:

is this thread S18 translatable to the 18XL? 

No sorry, the 18XL tire size is Only 18x2.5" so in a narrower fitment than the 18x3" fitted as standard to the S18.

Edited by fbhb