Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

9 hours ago, Duke O'Hammy said:

What about the Shinko 244? 

87-4400 2.75-14 P 35 1.40~1.85 Outside diameter. 20.16 in.

Width: 2.95 in.

Looks really nice, but I doubt it will fit. Somebody should just try it. 

Anybody with an S18? Could you measure the width of the fender and how much clearance there is with the stock tire?

9344-58b5adecb26b8.jpg

• Like 2

Ok so the shinko 244 is the same width as the cy 666 that was originally on the s18. It might not fit, but they did say the moldings were adjusted to prevent tire rubbing. I'll bet it would sound like the sherman tire on the street! Going to be up to an S18 owner to figure this one out. I'm waiting on my preorder towards the end of august.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Wilson said:

@mrelwood Didn't you try modding one of your EUCs to be tubeless? How difficult is the process and is it worth it (for off-road use)? I like the idea of using foam inserts in the tire to allow lower tire pressures.

I did run the H-666 as tubeless for a while. Sharp obstacles like curbs were maybe slightly smoother, otherwise I couldn’t feel any difference. Getting the initial seal was horribly difficult without a high power compressor, so I didn’t even try to do it the second time.

I don’t think it’s worth it tbh. I can see the attraction if you plan to run on pressures that allow the obstacles to reach the rim, but an EUC rim is not an MTB rim. EUC rim is softer and much more expensive to repair (new motor).

Not sure if the suspension wheels end up changing my view though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, fbhb said:

One of the Russian S18 owners has successfully fitted a CST-803 knobby tire, without any mods to the fender as was required with @Elliott Reitz Kenda 262 install!!!

I coincidentally have already bought this very same tire, sized at 2.50-14, in preparation for my S18's arrival so I'm stoked to see that it will definitely fit without issue.

Can't see these: 118765933_2713650475524581_7684559318301,,,,

2.50-14 knobby (including CST-803):  Yes I believe it will fit the S18 since I used one easily with my MSX.  It will be great off road.  On road it will be interesting how much of the road-vibration you feel with the suspension on the S18.

The K262:  That didn't take any knob shaving but I did have to cut the inner fender due to its larger circumference (20").

Shinko SR244 and SR241:  I doubt these will fit without knob shaving and even then you may be challenged to keep clearance for the wiring if you can even get it to spin.  The knob-shaved SR241 on my MSX is 3.3/8 width while the cavity is just under 3.5". The cavity width on the S18 is also 3.5" but the wheel isn't exactly centered in the cavity either.  Maybe the spacers could be changed out to better center the wheel... too much trouble compared to the K262 option.  The SR244 and SR241 also have larger circumference (20") than the stock wheel (inner fender won't fit without cutting out 75% of it).

CST-186:  I haven't seen these available in the USA.  They might be closer to the K262 width since I recall someone putting one on an MSX.  Others have also put the K262 on MSX/MSP without need of knob shaving.

20200827_112612c.JPG

20200827_112622c.JPG

20200831_163632.jpg

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, fbhb said:

One of the Russian S18 owners has successfully fitted a CST-803 knobby tire, without any mods to the fender as was required with @Elliott Reitz Kenda 262 install!!!

I coincidentally have already bought this very same tire, sized at 2.50-14, in preparation for my S18's arrival so I'm stoked to see that it will definitely fit without issue.

118765933_2713650475524581_7684559318301

118988986_2713651452191150_7429496620853

118826293_2713652025524426_8704626194464

118786539_2713650742191221_6818775234701

Have you received/installed the CST-803? I am really interested in replacing the stock tire, as it has really, really bad grip. Not sure if the CST-803 is the best fit for me, though. Do you know if, in terms of size, it is similar to the stock tire? The one thing I like about the H-5102 (coming from an 18L 18x2.5 tire) is the extra bump absorption that the 3.0 tire provides. Does the CST-803 provide a similar experience?

Has anyone tried replacing the stock tire with a normal one? by 'normal' I mean a tire without knobs, but with better grip.

15 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

Have you received/installed the CST-803? I am really interested in replacing the stock tire, as it has really, really bad grip. Not sure if the CST-803 is the best fit for me, though. Do you know if, in terms of size, it is similar to the stock tire? The one thing I like about the H-5102 (coming from an 18L 18x2.5 tire) is the extra bump absorption that the 3.0 tire provides. Does the CST-803 provide a similar experience?

Has anyone tried replacing the stock tire with a normal one? by 'normal' I mean a tire without knobs, but with better grip.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:51 AM, fbhb said:

@Purplecycle at this stage, as I mentioned in my original post, I only have the CST-803 tire and I'm still waiting for the S18 (most likely Not going to see it in NZ until the later batch ships with All King Song's fixes done!) 

@redfoxdude could be a good resource on fitting a different tire than the standard H-5102, as I'm sure I spied a glimpse of the Chao Yang H-666 fitted to his S18 in the "Suspension Vs Non Suspension YouTube video he posted recently!  If I am correct in spotting the Chao Yang on @redfoxdude's S18 and he has No issues with clearance, then that would be a fantastic/the best dual purpose option provided you can get a hold of one - as it's Now out of production!

Edited by fbhb

2 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@redfoxdude could be a good resource on fitting a different tire than the standard H-5102, as I'm sure I spied a glimpse of the Chao Yang H-666 fitted to his S18 in the "Suspension Vs Non Suspension YouTube video he posted recently!  If I am correct in spotting the Chao Yang on @redfoxdude's S18 and he has No issues with clearance, then that would be a fantastic/the best dual purpose option provided you can get a hold of one - as it's Now out of production!

Bahahaha, good eye! I was very lucky to have been able to get my hands on the H-666. There are no fitment issues, and it fits great. I understand the hype now - it's really a fantastic tire. What an absolute shame they discontinued it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfoxdude said:

Bahahaha, good eye! I was very lucky to have been able to get my hands on the H-666. There are no fitment issues, and it fits great. I understand the hype now - it's really a fantastic tire. What an absolute shame they discontinued it.

@redfoxdude Thanks a lot for the confirmation, I have inadvertantly become a tire collector in preparation for, hopefully 2 New wheels, so It was easy to spot the tread pattern of the H-666! 

Now that you have confirmed there were No fitment issues/tire rubbing, (and I know you have done some overhaul work as well, which may have helped  in this area too!) I will have to try and track one down somewhere online myself to add to the collection!

@redfoxdude just also wanted to check that the Chao Yang H-666 fitted to your S18 is in fact 18x3"?

Just now, redfoxdude said:

Yes, it's 18x3.

Nice one, thanks for the reply.

10 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Purplecycle at this stage, as I mentioned in my original post, I only have the CST-803 tire and I'm still waiting for the S18 (most likely Not going to see it in NZ until the later batch ships with All King Song's fixes done!) 

Got it. I am even considering getting the tire that is installed on the V11, but so far I have not been able to find a store that sells it.