Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

1 hour ago, Purplecycle said:

It wobbles, but I am not yet sure why. Might be the tire or because of my bent rim. I will try to post a video.

Edit: here is the video 

Damn!  That does not look good.  In that condition, I would think you’d get wobbles while going fast.

3 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

It wobbles, but I am not yet sure why. Might be the tire or because of my bent rim. I will try to post a video.

Edit: here is the video 

Dang..thats pretty bad, mine a little better with stock tyre, my rim also bent a bit, any idea how to fix this?

5 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

Yep....bent rim 🙄

Gotta see if/how this can be repaired (maybe warming it up and trying to hammer it) without further damaging the rim. 

Wow!!!  Did you hit a hard bump/curb with low tire pressure?  Or do you think it was already bent out of the box?  Or bent while prying off old tire?  I saw a post where someone said to be careful while removing EUC tires from rim because they bend easily.

On EUCs the tire must always be centered manually before pumping it up. The rim doesn’t force the bead to its correct place the same way it does on car rims for example.

If the rim isn’t as badly out of shape as on @Purplecycle’s wheel, a wobbling tire can almost always be recentered by deflating, centering manually, adding 10psi, centering manually, etc.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

Relevant information on tyres/tires that fit the S18 can be found in the topic above, including my experience installing a 2.75-14 CST C6004!

I have now ridden over 600kms on this tire/tyre and can highly recommend it! It really is a brilliant riding experience in All areas with one of these CST's fitted!

Batteries & pedal hangers front

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

Hello everybody!

I had a tire wobble problem that I could not overcome. I did my best to center my tire but for the life of me I could not get the wobble out. The rim seems to be straight. The wobble seems to be mostly around the valve stem. I tried moving it around, holding it in place, partially filling, over filling, using soap to lubricate. Just couldn't get the wobble out. Maybe I will try again just going 10 psi at a time. I'm hoping it is not a bent rim, if it is bent then I certainly did not do it myself as I am a beginner rider and really only recently started riding the S18 after doing an overhaul that took a couple weeks.

However, I think I should just order a new tire, wouldn't hurt to try something different anyway.

I see that not many CST tires are available in the US. Can anyone tell me which tire is guaranteed to fit the S18 and is also available in the US? Of course, there is the CST C-1488 that I see @Purplecycle is using.

Sorry if this was a duplicate post but figure I should also put my update here. I do not think it is the tire anymore:

EDIT: I rescind my assessment that only the tire is wobbling. It seems there IS some wobbling in the wheel. Not sure what my next step should be. Basically, if I hold the tip of a screw driver very close to the rim, the screw driver will rub on the rim in one spot as the wheel goes around. Could it be because my axle is off center? I had to shim it a bit to get the sliders to move smoothly but I don't think that could really affect the wheel angle much.

Edited by AlexIsTheBest

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, Purplecycle said:

I was finally able to install the CST C-1488 the other day. Grip has improved a lot, and there is no rubbing (well, no more than with the stock tire anyway). I did not have to modify the fender, which was my concern when I purchased the new tire.

E62690C5-D577-4E72-8D88-D1D214C62024.thumb.jpg.aaaa030a630a8a16fdcab398ba873670.jpg

It fits ? Because CST 1488 i see it only on 16 x 3.00 and not 18 x 3.00...

52 minutes ago, MrP-MrF said:

It fits ? Because CST 1488 i see it only on 16 x 3.00 and not 18 x 3.00...

CST C-1488 in 18” x 3” size is the factory installed tire on Inmotion V11 as well as GotWay MSP and RS. Searching for a replacement tire for those models could be fruitful.

• Like 1

I just change the tire on my kingsong S18 using the Gotway MSX / Msuper Pro Tire (18 Inch 18x3.0) and it fits perfectly. The S18 original tire is very Slipway on grass which i don't like. I will test it out in over the weekend as it's been raining all day today in London.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrP-MrF said:

Anybody can help me ? Please !

I don't think you will get a reply on that specific tire/tyre, due to Not many people actually changing from the stock fitment due to fender clearance issues!  However, with very careful alignment a much wider option is possible. 

I can highly recommend the 2.75-14 CST C6004, although it may look similar to the Kenda K340A, it has a much more aggressive and deeper tread profile so it can also comfortably handle some off-road terrain too! 

I have linked to further fitment information/tyre/tire options for you here:

Edited by fbhb

Last week I installed the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. I’ve tried others and was about to give up when I found this tire. When the tire arrived it looked too big, but I mounted it anyway. I’m glad I did! 
I fooled around with the OEM tire since I’ve had the S-18 and couldn’t stop it from bouncing and wobbling. Cheap POS.

This tire is in a completely different class, it’s a solid road tire. I’ve been riding this is incredible tire in the snow and wet ice for a week now. Places where I had a hard time standing up this thing just manages to stick. The 80/80 - 14 M/C 43S REINFTL is very competitively priced at under $30. 

7517C9AC-1664-4F9F-A5DF-83CCABBC35DF.jpeg

Edited by Mac
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Mac said:

Last week I installed the Pirelli Angel Scooter tire. I’ve tried others and was about to give up when I found this tire. When the tire arrived it looked too big, but I mounted it anyway. I’m glad I did! 
I fooled around with the OEM tire since I’ve had the S-18 and couldn’t stop it from bouncing and wobbling. Cheap POS.

This tire is in a completely different class, it’s a solid road tire. I’ve been riding this is incredible tire in the snow and wet ice for a week now. Places where I had a hard time standing up this thing just manages to stick. The 80/80 - 14 M/C 43S REINFTL is very competitively priced at under $30. 

Great, it seems top. It's tubeless ? 

6 hours ago, Mac said:

I used a tube, I’m not sure that it will seal well I can’t find a valve stem that might work. 
https://www.cyclegear.com/tires/pirelli-angel-scooter-tires?utm_campaign=order_shipped&utm_content=Product&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cycle_gear

I've ordered the tire, because it has great returns. So you've used the bicycle tube from the oem tire ?

On 12/5/2020 at 11:14 PM, Mac said:

Wow! I had no idea Pirelli made scooter tires. Pirelli and Michelin make quality for motorcycles and my first choice always. Those look badass! How do they ride at speed? I am pretty shocked you said $30? Incredible! I guess we can only imagine how cheap these factory euc tires must be.

Ha

Actually $27 if I remember right. No kidding the OEM's are just a large bicycle tires. I’ve spent hours trying to make the OEM work. In my opinion the OEM is a POS. The Pirelli looks and feels like quality, has grit in the compound and it sticks to the ice and snow. Yes it’s smooth as silk at speed, mainly because it’s a balanced road tire. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mac said:

Ha

Actually $27 if I remember right. No kidding the OEM's are just a large bicycle tires. I’ve spent hours trying to make the OEM work. In my opinion the OEM is a POS. The Pirelli looks and feels like quality, has grit in the compound and it sticks to the ice and snow. Yes it’s smooth as silk at speed, mainly because it’s a balanced road tire. 

Sorry for making the crude joke.. couldn't resist.

I bought a H-666 for the S18 which I will fit during my suspension fix session, but this might be an alternative to try out as well... especially since it is fairly cheap!

Its a pirelli 43S tire

43 = 155 kg max load

S = 180 km/h max speed (I guess I need to tune the S18 a bit....)

Seriously, thanks for sharing! I found one at a local MP store for less than €40.

• Like 3