Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

On 9/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, SaidWhatWhen said:

Can you please post a pic of the "inner fender" you had to cut on the S18 to fit the Kenda K262. Looks like a good on/off compromise.

The "cut out" is laying in front of the EUC in the 1st pic.  In the 2nd pic the remaining part of the inner fender is to the right of the tire (goes up/down with the wheel-motor).

20200827_112612c.JPG

20200827_112622c.JPG

On 9/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, dsd317 said:

For your standard S18 tire, what's your tire pressure and your riding weight?  My riding weight is approx. 155 pounds (~70 Kilograms), and tire pressure is currently at 35psi (2.41 bars).

I have K262 at 35 psi and climb-hitting curbs (even 1/2 or 3/4 height) still seems to get too much rim impact. Riding weight about 210 lbs.

Edited by Elliott Reitz
+ reply
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:51 AM, fbhb said:

One of the Russian S18 owners has successfully fitted a CST-803 knobby tire, without any mods to the fender as was required with @Elliott Reitz Kenda 262 install!!!

I coincidentally have already bought this very same tire, sized at 2.50-14, in preparation for my S18's arrival so I'm stoked to see that it will definitely fit without issue.

118765933_2713650475524581_7684559318301

118988986_2713651452191150_7429496620853

118826293_2713652025524426_8704626194464

118786539_2713650742191221_6818775234701

No modifications to fender.  That's good.  But do we have to change the rim size?  If so, which one to get and where to buy?

Are there any videos of this Russian wheel in action?

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this thread? My S18 arrives in a couple of days and I'm planning to go full off-road mod on it. Obviously the tire is key to this and I want one that fits as well as keeps me upright!

I'm leaning towards the CST-803 or the winter tire that @eve mentioned (I've emailed the supplier about this for confirmation if it will fit). I'd love an H-666 but can't find one anywhere. Thoughts/advice much appreciated.

18 hours ago, Midlife Cricycle said:

Any updates on this thread? My S18 arrives in a couple of days and I'm planning to go full off-road mod on it. Obviously the tire is key to this and I want one that fits as well as keeps me upright!

I'm leaning towards the CST-803 or the winter tire that @eve mentioned (I've emailed the supplier about this for confirmation if it will fit). I'd love an H-666 but can't find one anywhere. Thoughts/advice much appreciated.

The CST C-803 is quite nice according to this rider:

https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/11348-pneu-cross-sur-msx-feed-back-après-1-an/?tab=comments#comment-224005

It is smaller than the stock tyre and he mentions that a 18"x2.5" tube should be used instead of the standard 18"x3".

I have tried a CST C-186 (Kenda 262 clone) on the MSP High Torque. My friend Sebastian felt that the wheel lost a lot of it's torque. I found that out trying to go up a 23 degree ramp and falling. Now I can only imagine how much the S18 would struggle with a larger diameter tyre like that. It is after all a 20s3p 84v wheel with a 2200W motor.

The CST-803 would probably be a bit zippier than the stock and also it is a true off-road knobby.

We eventually tilted the pedals 3 degrees forward to even out the lost acceleration and zip. Then he moved the pads a bit and eventually reset the pedals to 0 degrees.

Also the 18x3 H-666 is nowhere to be found except tec-toyz and eWheels. It just disappeared from the rest of the earth a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FinRider said:

I found a 18x3 H-666 yesterday online from Switzerland and ordered one. Its pricy (€103 shipped) but should be well worth it.

https://www.blackdealday.com/99-pneus-et-chambres-a-air

If you can’t fit it, I’ll buy it. 

8 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

@redfoxdude has the H-666 fitted to his S18 without issue, so you may be out of luck to buy it from @FinRider , unfortunately!  Would love to get one myself, but I don't think Blackdealday would ship to NZ?  Can you confirm shipping is Only to Europe @FinRider ? 

15 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@redfoxdude has the H-666 fitted to his S18 without issue, so you may be out of luck to buy it from @FinRider , unfortunately!  Would love to get one myself, but I don't think Blackdealday would ship to NZ?  Can you confirm shipping is Only to Europe @FinRider ? 

I have a f**ked up fender on mine, so I will try to address that issue at the same time when I replace the tire. @UniVehje if you want a tire also, let me know and I will contact them right away to see if they have 2 in stock. I will reach out to them anyway as I will have them add an inner tube to the order, always good to have a spare one on hand.

I checked their ship-to countries, and NZ is not on the list. They do have the Phillipines, Thailand, Vietnam, Afghanistan... so it may be possible for them to ship to you, just reach out to them. The site is only in English and they list USD, EUR and CHF as currency for payment. Seems to be a legit site, and the Swiss are (generally) trustworthy people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FinRider said:

I checked their ship-to countries, and NZ is not on the list. They do have the Phillipines, Thailand, Vietnam, Afghanistan... so it may be possible for them to ship to you, just reach out to them. The site is only in English and they list USD, EUR and CHF as currency for payment. Seems to be a legit site, and the Swiss are (generally) trustworthy people.

OK, thanks a lot for the additional info.  I will contact them directly and see what happens. It looks like they are ONLY place on the Globe to still have stocks of 18x3 H-666 left since it was discontinued!

Edited by fbhb

1 minute ago, fbhb said:

OK, thanks a lot for the additional info.  I will contact them directly and see what happens. It looks like they are ONLY place on the Globe to still have stocks of 18x3 H-666 left since it was discontinued!

They state 3-10 days delivery, so appears to be in stock. I sincerely hope so :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FinRider said:

They state 3-10 days delivery, so appears to be in stock. I sincerely hope so :)

Just sent them an email message, so will wait and see.  Thanks again, will let you know if I get lucky :clap3:

On 7/29/2020 at 8:25 AM, eve said:

18-inch-winter-tire-fiction.jpg

https://eunicycles.eu/en/tires/114-18-inch-winter-tire-fiction.html

Its a winter tyre but might fit! 18 x 2.3 in dimensions.

Im still waiting for my S18. :O

I just heard back from these guys about this tire. Their (translated) response:

“The winter tire which we have fit to S18 but you have to know the tire is 2.3" wide so it is much less then original 3.0". It is good for better grip but amortization on the tire will be less.”

maybe it’s the language barrier but I’m not convinced by this response?

2 minutes ago, Midlife Cricycle said:

I just heard back from these guys about this tire. Their (translated) response:

“The winter tire which we have fit to S18 but you have to know the tire is 2.3" wide so it is much less then original 3.0". It is good for better grip but amortization on the tire will be less.”

maybe it’s the language barrier but I’m not convinced by this response?

You can read more about it here: https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/374-31306.htm

It is just a BMX tyre with a semi aggressive pattern. What they mean by "amortization" is less cushioning as the tyre will be thinner and not as tall as a 3" wide one.
I also doubt that there will be much puncture resistance. It may sound tempting with the word "winter" used there.. not to mention the flashy colours... but in the end it is just a thin tyre with a bumpy pattern. Their use of the word winter implies snow (Poland) which I doubt you see much of.

There are few times where even my slicks have left me wanting. Mud is the exception and I prefer to stay away from mud anyway. It's a dirty and messy game.
Wet roots and rocks can be an issue as well especially if taken at parallel angles vs perpendicular ones but even knobbies will slip and slide. Usually lower PSI will help so that the tyre conforms rather than deflects.

Still... I think you should give your S18 a few days of riding and see where it leaves you wanting regarding the tyre. I'm sure it will perform quite nicely as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, UniVehje said:

Man, I should’ve stocked up on the 666 when I bought mine from the same shop in the summer at half the current price! 

On 10/12/2020 at 9:40 AM, FinRider said:

Be patient though, it took about a month to arrive to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, Elliott Reitz said:

2.50-14 knobby (including CST-803):  Yes I believe it will fit the S18 since I used one easily with my MSX.  It will be great off road.  On road it will be interesting how much of the road-vibration you feel with the suspension on the S18.

The K262:  That didn't take any knob shaving but I did have to cut the inner fender due to its larger circumference (20").

Shinko SR244 and SR241:  I doubt these will fit without knob shaving and even then you may be challenged to keep clearance for the wiring if you can even get it to spin.  The knob-shaved SR241 on my MSX is 3.3/8 width while the cavity is just under 3.5". The cavity width on the S18 is also 3.5" but the wheel isn't exactly centered in the cavity either.  Maybe the spacers could be changed out to better center the wheel... too much trouble compared to the K262 option.  The SR244 and SR241 also have larger circumference (20") than the stock wheel (inner fender won't fit without cutting out 75% of it).

CST-186:  I haven't seen these available in the USA.  They might be closer to the K262 width since I recall someone putting one on an MSX.  Others have also put the K262 on MSX/MSP without need of knob shaving.

20200827_112612c.JPG

20200827_112622c.JPG

20200831_163632.jpg

UPDATE:

I'm very happy with this tire on my S18 and the 3/4 removal of inner fender that was needed to install it.  I've ridden it heavy rain, deep water (jumped off crossing a creek in a 1' deep section", snow, all sorts of grass, and some very deep mud.  The removed inner-fender is not missed (I get enough protection from slinging mud and water from the shock itself).  As for mud onto the shock, so what... its not the greatest shock to start with anyway and so far hasn't been effected by mud and sand all over it.  I ride it about 5 days / week regardless of the weather.  If you want off road, sure the 14x2.50" knobby is the way to go... Duel use the K262 is the way to go (some tire-wine noise over 20mph).  Street only stay stock. 

Oh and I've gone 33 mph on this wheel with this tire!  I quickly passed 2 other KS-16/KS-18 riders that were beeping at 31 mph... we estimated my speed had to be at least 33 from the speed at which I passed them.  Of course it woulda been more fun to blast past them at 40+ on my MSX-100V.  At least the S18 can keep up to my dog if I can. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EldARon said:

I searched for 2.50-14 knobby and found this on Ebay. I need a winter tire that I can insert/screw spikes in. I don't want to spend $80,- + plus shipping to find out that it's not the right one. :)

That Kenda tire will most likely fit the S18 without any fender rubbing issues!  However, the CST-803 is a "guaranteed" fit, as I have previously posted photos of someone's fitment as proof.  Also, added to that I have already got hold of my own CST-803 as an option to use on my S18 if required at a later stage. 

My personal recommendation would be to try and find the CST-803 for sale somewhere, knowing that it fits No Problem and the tread pattern is a little more closed, so would also work OK on the road!

I also have several 2.75-14 dual purpose tires that I am assessing for fitment on the S18, as I am currently carrying out All the suspension overhaul/modifications/tire change options to mine. 

I am documenting All my steps along the way with photos and I'm planning to post a New topic dedicated to a complete start to finish Full strip down, suspension overhaul, addressing All the known small niggles and of course a tire change to one of the 2.75-14 dual purpose tires that I have discovered actually fit the S18 comfortably! 

(Not using the CST-803 shown below at this stage, but it is going to be a 2.75-14 CST branded tire!)

118765933_2713650475524581_7684559318301

118988986_2713651452191150_7429496620853

118786539_2713650742191221_6818775234701

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

I was finally able to install the CST C-1488 the other day. Grip has improved a lot, and there is no rubbing (well, no more than with the stock tire anyway). I did not have to modify the fender, which was my concern when I purchased the new tire.

E62690C5-D577-4E72-8D88-D1D214C62024.thumb.jpg.aaaa030a630a8a16fdcab398ba873670.jpg

Edited by Purplecycle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachboy said:

Does the tyre spins straight? No visible wobble?

It wobbles, but I am not yet sure why. Might be the tire or because of my bent rim. I will try to post a video.

Edit: here is the video 

Edited by Purplecycle