Kingsong S18 Tire Discussion

Steef Klonoa

4 minutes ago, novazeus said:

my stubborness is only exceeded by my laziness.

after riding yesterday on this pos jiluer j1836 and just hating every minute of it, i researched last night how difficult it would be to change the tire for me. i hate this tire. 

so deciding that i just don't have the time or a place to do such a disassembly, i lowered the tire pressure from 41psi to 35psi, and now i hate this tire less. the s22 knobby at 41 psi, is fine. the jiluer pos is practically unrideable at the 41psi sidewall pressure. why king song would advertise their wheel with one tire and then ship consumers a totally different tire is fraud.

Try ~30 psi - maybe you will love it. :D 

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Try ~30 psi - maybe you will love it. :D 

idk, my road is full of imperfections. just lowering the tire from 41psi to 35psi, made it more stable in the straightaways and turns, but the lower pressure also grabbed these ruts in my pavement harder. i mean the wheel tried to  squirt out from under me. i thought i had run over some tree bark or something but it was just the deflated tire sliding into a rut. the s22 knobby after grinding down the center nub is perfect now. 

i've got so many leaves accumulating on the shoulders now it's making me nervous. i may have to leaf blow the curves at a minimum.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 8:36 PM, AlexIsTheBest said:

Ciao a tutti!

Ho avuto un problema di oscillazione degli pneumatici che non potevo superare. Ho fatto del mio meglio per centrare la mia gomma, ma per la vita di me non ho potuto uscire il oscillare. Il bordo sembra essere dritto. La oscillazione sembra essere per lo più intorno al gambo della valvola. Ho provato a spostarlo, tenendolo in posizione, parzialmente riempiendo, a ripieno, a base di sapone per lubricare. Non riusciva a far uscire la oscillazione. Forse proverò di nuovo a fare 10 psi alla volta. Spero che non sia un bordo piegato, se è piegato allora certamente non l'ho fatto da solo perché sono un pilota principiante e davvero solo di recente ho iniziato a guidare la S18 dopo aver fatto una revisione che ha richiesto un paio di settimane.

Tuttavia, penso che dovrei solo ordinare un nuovo pneumatico, non farebbe male provare qualcosa di diverso.

Vedo che non molti pneumatici CST sono disponibili negli Stati Uniti. Può qualcuno dirmi quale pneumatico è garantito per adattarsi alla S18 ed è disponibile anche negli Stati Uniti? Naturalmente, c'è il CST C-1488 che vedo @purpleciclosta usando.

Spiacente se questo fosse un post duplicato, ma figura che dovrei anche mettere qui il mio aggiornamento. Non credo che sia più lo pneumatico:

EDIT: rescindo la mia valutazione che solo lo pneumatico oscilla. Sembra che ci sia qualche oscillante nella ruota. Non so quale sia il mio prossimo passo. Fondamentalmente, se tigo la punta di un conducente a vite molto vicino al bordo, il conducente a vite sfrecerà sul bordo in un punto mentre la ruota va in giro. Potrebbe essere perché il mio asse è fuori dal centro? Ho dovuto shishim un po' per far muovere i cursori senza problemi, ma non credo che possa davvero influenzare molto l'angolo della ruota.

hello, did you solve it? 

I have an s18 with oscillation problems similar to yours... I've already changed the original tire with a CST, the situation has improved, it fluctuates less, but it doesn't run perfect 

4 hours ago, jack5d said:

I have an s18 with oscillation problems similar to yours... I've already changed the original tire with a CST, the situation has improved, it fluctuates less, but it doesn't run perfect 

@jack5d Check to see the tire bead is lined up with the rim all the way around and on both side. The guide lines should be evenly spaced all the way around the rim.

If both sides look evenly spaced, your tire is seated properly. If you are still getting oscillation issues after confirming your tire is seated properly then the cause will most certainly be your wheels alignment. Did you replace the shims after your tire swap? :efee8319ab:

motorcycle-tires-michelin-man-1600-667x4

• Upvote 3

On 4/10/2023 at 11:51 PM, 5Cauac said:

@jack5d Check to see the tire bead is lined up with the rim all the way around and on both side. The guide lines should be evenly spaced all the way around the rim.

If both sides look evenly spaced, your tire is seated properly. If you are still getting oscillation issues after confirming your tire is seated properly then the cause will most certainly be your wheels alignment. Did you replace the shims after your tire swap? :efee8319ab:

motorcycle-tires-michelin-man-1600-667x4

The tire is perfectly aligned with the line that follows the rim, what thickness are you talking about? I have three screws on the side that hold the hub in place, but none of them were thick 

I would suggest that you determine if it's the rim or the tire first. You can flip it over like @mrelwood suggested, then hold a screwdriver close to the side of the rim and rotate the wheel. If the gap changes, then the rim is bent. If not you can do it next to the tire sidewall to see if it's the tire. If the tire is centered and the bead is even all the way around, you may have a bulge in the tire because the tube got twisted or folded during re-assembly.

8 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Suggerirei che tu determini se è il bordo o lo pneumatico per primo. Puoi capovolgerlo come @mrelwood suggerito, quindi tenere un cacciavite vicino al lato del bordo e ruotare la ruota. Se il divario cambia, allora il bordo è piegato. In caso contrario, puoi farlo accanto al muro di pneumatico per vedere se è lo pneumatico. Se lo pneumatico è centrato e la perla è anche tutto il tutto intorno, si può avere un rigonfiamento nello pneumatico perché il tubo è stato contorto o piegato durante il riemblaggio.

in fact holding the head of a flat screw, on the rim, I see that it moves away and closer by a millimeter while I rotate.

look at the shadow on the rim, these days I have disassembled and beaded the tire over and over again, but I never reach perfection, now I'm sure it depends on a slight imperfection of the rim 😢

Edited by jack5d

yesterday the wheel increased its oscillation, and began to chirp, producing the sound are the bearings at 100% 

I found out I have a hollow engine like the one in V11, like the one in the photo 

at this point I think it's his fault 

Screenshot_20230421_065608_AliExpress.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Tr1 are back in stock on th amazon japan link given earlier in this post. Got mine just in time for the winter bast in NZ. Definitely could not have done this on the stock tire!

Expensive upgrade but worth it, not too bad on road either. 

20230702_111151.thumb.jpg.75a59986731431e2a42f726af0153dee.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Knobby tire for S18 search ongoing here...

Got a shortlist of 3 options. I just don't know if it will fit.

---> Shinko 2.75 - 14 SH-27514244 . This seems great but I don't know if it will fit. Shaving a bit off from te side might be an option. But how about the top and wheel well plastic...  https://www.bike-design.com/nl-nl/product/178446/sr244-b244-dual-sport-2-75-14

---> CST-803 knobby tire , 2.50-14   I'm curious if this is too narrow. Does it fill the wheel well in all directions? EAN 4717784504537    https://www.autobandenmarkt.nl/product/R-268182

--->  Generic 2.50 x 14 This one is cheap and has the knob pattern I like. I think 2.50 is a bit narrow for the S18 though. Unfortunately they don't state the measured width. And with this shop you have to be lucky on which batch you get. https://happy-motorparts.de/Reifen-Vorderreifen-250-14-Enduro-Dirt-Bike-Pit-Bike-Cross-HMParts

Anyone have tried these? And if people know the exact weight of one of the tires I'd also like to know!

Edited by tst

6 minutes ago, tst said:

Knobby tire for S18 search ongoing here...

Got a shortlist of 3 options. I just don't know if it will fit.

Out of the three tyres you linked to, ONLY the CST-803 2.50-14 and the Generic 2.50-14 Enduro will fit the S18 with adequate clearance. Shinko 2.75-14 is a massively wide tyre that even on other EUC's with much wider wheel clearance, can still pose problems with rubbing/needing trimming!

Not my photo, but this one shows the CST-803 fitted comfortably to the S18 with good all-around clearance:

S18 with CST-803

I have a CST-803 here that I have not yet fitted to my S18 and I can tell you that the weight is 1.86KG. I currently have the IRC TR-1 2.75-14 fitted which is a perfect fit (even though the tyre states 2.75-14, it is actually a very narrow fitting knobby for these dimensions) with great off-road performance and does not suffer from the usual tippy aspect in corners on road either.

It is ONLY available via Amazon Japan and you will have to make an account to order it, but it is definitely worth the extra effort/shipping cost: Amazon.co.jp: IRC 321427 Inoue Rubber Motorcycle Tire TR-1 Rear 2.75-14 4PR Tube Type (WT) for Two-Wheeled Motorcycles : Automotive

It is usually difficult to get hold of the TR-1 from Amazon Japan, as they usually sell out quickly, but they are currently showing 8 left so be quick if you go for that option.

Hope this helps your decision-making process.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, fbhb said:

Hope this helps your decision-making process.

Tnx, good do know the exact weight. I'm only on forest trails, I'm guessing the CST-803 is just a bit better in winter mud and wet leaves because it has a very knobby pattern that looks to dig deep.

The TR-1 will probably be less sluggish and ride more on the soil instead of in it.

In meantime I also read a comment of someone who's wheel got stuck by a rock. So a bit of clearance might actually be good..

The TR-1 looks very similar to a CST...
Specified as a CST-186 with 2.75 - 14
https://www.motorrad-ersatzteile24.de/motorrad-zubehoer/nach-baugruppe/reifen-und-felgen/reifen/reifen-14-zoll/reifen-14-zoll-2.xx/74830/reifen-cst/cheng-shin-2.75-14-35p-tt-c-186-enduro

And the CST-803 labeled with 2.50 - 14 is the more knobby type
https://www.motorrad-ersatzteile24.de/motorrad-zubehoer/nach-baugruppe/reifen-und-felgen/reifen/reifen-14-zoll/reifen-14-zoll-2.xx/74825/reifen-cst/cheng-shin-2.50-14-4pr-tt-c-803-enduro

Edited by tst

• 2 months later...

I found a great one today VEE VRM015 2.75-14. Great agility and stability, with a very interesting pattern which probably allows a little bit of off road.

It is a bit on the narrow side, but it match so well with the S18. I found it at 30 Euro's which is quite cheap.

Weight is about 2kg, sidewalls are stronger than usual bike tires but not as stiff as scooters/motorcycles ones. Very happy with the behavior of this tire. Max load is 121 kg, not sure it will be so great on heavier wheels.

20231023_123949.jpg

20231023_123936.jpg

Edited by Zrex90
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First ride with the knobby CST-803
2.50 - 14
It's actually made it Taiwan and it seems really sturdy, good quality.

This tire makes it possible to go through mud, sand, wet leaves, forest paths etc. Very reassuring. Though of course in deep mud it will sink. When going on bad surface the lack of power of the wheel becomes more obvious. The tire grips but the wheel just doesn't have the power to go through.

Installation took long enough even with the hole drill shortcut. I deflated the suspension. Let it sink, then you can access the motor cable connection lid after drilling one hole for the one screw that is not accessible otherwise. Take off the pedals, bottom battery holders/pedal hangers and you can drop the motor out. Very convenient.

I put in 2 rings on top of the axle to act as shims. This way the wheel sits a tiny bit higher so the tire doesn't rub.

The tire aligns better on the rim than the original.

I really think they made a big mistake in designing the rim. Tires don't just fit / snap in place. The rim is not designed for the tires. A true pain to get it perfectly centered. I see this as one of the biggest flaws of this wheel.

20231105_203142.jpg

20231105_203123.jpg

20231106_163652.jpg

s18_tire_hack.jpeg

Edited by tst

1 hour ago, tst said:

First ride with the knobby CST-803
2.50 - 14
It's actually made it Taiwan and it seems really sturdy, good quality.

This tire makes it possible to go through mud, sand, wet leaves, forest paths etc. Very reassuring. Though of course in deep mud it will sink. When going on bad surface the lack of power of the wheel becomes more obvious. The tire grips but the wheel just doesn't have the power to go through.

Installation took long enough even with the hole drill shortcut. I deflated the suspension. Let it sink, then you can access the motor cable connection lid after drilling one hole for the one screw that is not accessible otherwise. Take off the pedals, bottom battery holders/pedal hangers and you can drop the motor out. Very convenient.

I put in 2 rings on top of the axle to act as shims. This way the wheel sits a tiny bit higher so the tire doesn't rub.

The tire aligns better on the rim than the original.

I really think they made a big mistake in designing the rim. Tires don't just fit / snap in place. The rim is not designed for the tires. A true pain to get it perfectly centered. I see this as one of the biggest flaws of this wheel.

20231105_203142.jpg

20231105_203123.jpg

20231106_163652.jpg

s18_tire_hack.jpeg

Nice if it works but you've still got a fender close on a knobby.  On my old S18 I removed the fender (kept only the wire-guide section of it).  I had a Kenda K262 on it for about 1300 miles till its batteries died and I got a trade-in for it from eWheels. 

• 2 weeks later...

@novazeus - See the photos you requested below of the street tire that my S22 Pro came with from eWheels in response to your post in the Black Friday Bargains thread. They told me it was a Jiluer 863 but the tire markings are different. As for the S18, I have no info on (and no interest in) it or its street tire.

I have over 1000km on this tire. I prefer running it at 15-20psi since the tire is stiff. I don't have a tread gauge handy, but I estimate there is a 3/16-1/4" tread in the center of the tire remaining.

I also have a spare Pirelli Angel (80-80) and MICHELIN City Grip 2  (90-90) for comparison, but I'm not in a hurry since this "Eakia" tire handles just fine for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.61dc53376743367f1a2758992fcf7203.jpeg

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

is the jiluer tire the same as the one on the s18? 

could u please take a picture of urs?

here's what came on the s18, not what king song pimped in their kuji rolls reveal.

TireD.jpeg

TireB.jpeg

TireC.jpeg

Edited by litewave

31 minutes ago, litewave said:

@novazeus - See the photos you requested below of the street tire that my S22 Pro came with from eWheels in response to your post in the Black Friday Bargains thread. They told me it was a Jiluer 863 but the tire markings are different. As for the S18, I have no info on (and no interest in) it or its street tire.

I have over 1000km on this tire. I prefer running it at 15-20psi since the tire is stiff. I don't have a tread gauge handy, but I estimate there is a 3/16-1/4" tread in the center of the tire remaining.

I also have a spare Pirelli Angel (80-80) and MICHELIN City Grip 2  (90-90) for comparison, but I'm not in a hurry since this "Eakia" tire handles just fine for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.61dc53376743367f1a2758992fcf7203.jpeg

TireD.jpeg

TireB.jpeg

TireC.jpeg

that tire looks decent and no it's not a jiluer tire no matter what jason told u. they say jiluer on the side.

idk how jason could be so wrong when he sells the tire.

that's why i told u u were nuts when u said u were getting the jiluer tire. i've made it tolerable, and will be fine as a grass trainer wheel, so i probably shouldn't bother putting a nice michelin on a 31 mph wheel that i might overlean. the s22 with the knobby on it on my pavement is fine. i have ground down both tires and recentered the jiluer the best i can. just cheaply made bad performing tires, not the s22 knobby, it's fine. but i'd prefer michelin pilot stret 2's on all my wheels and inflated to 47psi florida cold. if u notice my road, it's covered with leaves. very slippery. but no problems even at that pressure, but way more difficult and fun to ride. plus way more energy efficient, and when ur offgrid, u think about stuff like that constantlty. i know how many watts i use daily. not many. the wheels are the biggest consumer of energy in the cooler months because i don't have to run ac. but i have to run these pis generators that all companies lie about their output. hoping a generator will push the lynx charger. i can't charge two v13's on one of my small generators simultanously, and that sucks it takes about $10 in gas to go from 60% to 100%, so $.25 cents a mile. not free. and that's with me getting one mile per one percent of battery. y'all running deflated tires won't get that. i have 800 watts of solar panels and a 2200 watt bluetti powerstation, that will make me one cup of coffee and keep a light on, and charge my electronic devices, won't charge a wheel. 800watts of solar panels in florida aimed directly at the sun on a clear day, about 400watts max. trust me, i've been thru 9 already. thrown away and i have 4 now that bluetti replaced that are working. 

68053EFA-7443-443F-B60D-683D0AD89A12.thumb.jpeg.f27d30fbe6bccf87349506689630227a.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

that tire looks decent and no it's not a jiluer tire no matter what jason told u. they say jiluer on the side.

idk how jason could be so wrong when he sells the tire.

that's why i told u u were nuts when u said u were getting the jiluer tire. i've made it tolerable, and will be fine as a grass trainer wheel, so i probably shouldn't bother putting a nice michelin on a 31 mph wheel that i might overlean. the s22 with the knobby on it on my pavement is fine. i have ground down both tires and recentered the jiluer the best i can. just cheaply made bad performing tires, not the s22 knobby, it's fine. but i'd prefer michelin pilot stret 2's on all my wheels and inflated to 47psi florida cold. if u notice my road, it's covered with leaves. very slippery. but no problems even at that pressure, but way more difficult and fun to ride. plus way more energy efficient, and when ur offgrid, u think about stuff like that constantlty. i know how many watts i use daily. not many. the wheels are the biggest consumer of energy in the cooler months because i don't have to run ac. but i have to run these pis generators that all companies lie about their output. hoping a generator will push the lynx charger. i can't charge two v13's on one of my small generators simultanously, and that sucks it takes about $10 in gas to go from 60% to 100%, so $.25 cents a mile. not free. and that's with me getting one mile per one percent of battery. y'all running deflated tires won't get that. i have 800 watts of solar panels and a 2200 watt bluetti po68053EFA-7443-443F-B60D-683D0AD89A12.thumb.jpeg.f27d30fbe6bccf87349506689630227a.jpegwerstation, that will make me one cup of coffee and keep a light on, and charge my electronic devices, won't charge a wheel. 800watts of solar panels in florida aimed directly at the sun on a clear day, about 400watts max. trust me, i've been thru 9 already. thrown away and i have 4 now that bluetti replaced that are working. 

Yeah, I agree, that J-1836 tire in your photo above looks like it sucks. :laughbounce2:

Edited by litewave

21 minutes ago, litewave said:

Yeah, I agree, that J-1836 tire in your photo above looks like it sucks. :laughbounce2:

@houseofjobthought they were made for a segway type device with left and right tires. 

new, it pulled so hard to the right or left, i could ride one footed, it was ridiculous. 

this is the tire king song lied and said they were delivering. kuji states in the beginning, this is the production model. 

https://youtu.be/kIf3K5TOjcM?feature=shared

• Haha 1

the jiluer tire is weird. it has a pressure range of 35psi to 45psi, or something like that. when i inflated it to max pressure or a liitle above, naturally the tire behaved better because of less contact patch on the pavement. 

like i say, i'm almost 70, but pretty sure i could beat lance armstrong if he was on a beach bike and i was on a ten speed. smaller, harder, tires.