King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

17 minutes ago, -iB- said:

Im in metro detroit area. For whatever reason my package was at "label created" for 7 days before UPS got it, so that's probably what caused it.

Big bummer! My wheel came right through the Detroit UPS hub.

https://streamable.com/fb4grz

Anyone know if the issue with the motor crunching sound on hard braking been addressed? Mick at eVX captured it on video in his V11/S18 comparison video on YouTube, and KingSong posted this video on their Instagram stories yesterday (linked above). The crunching sound still appears to be there, despite the folks at KS test riding the newest firmware. Accelerating and top speed are nice, but braking is one of those under-appreciated stats that can really make a big difference when it comes to safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -iB- said:

Im in metro detroit area. For whatever reason my package was at "label created" for 7 days before UPS got it, so that's probably what caused it.

Does your tracking history look anything like mine? It says Est. Delivery tomorrow (7/30/2020) by 9:00 pm, but I'm not sure how that's possible. :-/

Definitely NOT worth the extra $250 for air-shipping!

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

I've had the unfortunate luck of having a lot of rain and work arrive at the same time as the S18, but have finally gotten the chance to put a few miles on it.  Definitely a much more substantial learning curve than the OneWheel...  But I've gotten through the basics and can mount and basically ride it - and while the dirt trails we live on are a less than ideal starting area, you certainly have to learn quickly!  No perfectly smooth asphalt here!  

Anyway.. now that I've gotten it up to a bit of speed, I've noticed a pretty prominent wobble in the 10-12 mph range, and not just under braking.  I can mitigate it some by squeezing the wheel between my calves, but that doesn't seem like how it's supposed to work.  I'd imagine this is a pretty common "fresh out of the box" issue.. Can anyone please suggest a fix?  I have done the calibration, and generally, the wheel seems to ride very well.  I have not completed the 10km intro period yet (7.68km).  Re: settings, I'm 6'1", 155lbs. I have the upper chamber at 130 and the lower chamber at 60. I did not measure the pressure of the tire, but it seems more than sufficient to support my weight and is comfortable to ride so far.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Edited by ColoradoQuattro
  • Like 1

Vee have an overview of wobbles with some recommendations, you can check out her video. You're most probably having beginner wobbles, it will pass. Later on it can happen, you basically have to do something different, like squeezing, or turning, putting weight on just one foot, breaking, accelerating.. Just anything that is different in order to get out of the spiral.

• Like 1

Copy that...  Thanks!  Checking it out now..

Very interesting video.  Would agree that what I'm experiencing is consistent with what she's describing.  Thank you very much for posting this!  

Edited by ColoradoQuattro

30 minutes ago, HerotheCat said:

Does your tracking history look anything like mine? It says Est. Delivery tomorrow (7/30/2020) by 9:00 pm, but I'm not sure how that's possible. :-/

Capture.jpg

Yup.. thats a carbon copy of mine, down to the times and locations. At least Im not alone, but I completely agree... I didnt think air shipping was this much of a gamble but it absolutely wasnt worth it, since the regular shipments are set to arrive in port in 11 or so days

35 minutes ago, HerotheCat said:

Capture.jpg

1 minute ago, -iB- said:

Yup.. thats a carbon copy of mine, down to the times and locations. At least Im not alone, but I completely agree... I didnt think air shipping was this much of a gamble but it absolutely wasnt worth it, since the regular shipments are set to arrive in port in 11 or so days

Here’s my long winded shipment report (4 pages) beginning on 7/20. (Not in descending order)

50167393827_c3fac9fa8c_b.jpg50167391647_e147016ecd_b.jpg50166600328_49940199ae_b.jpg50167134701_94d1939d1c_b.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, -iB- said:

Never happened to me and I’ve flown every new release wheel there has been the last 2 years. You just had bad luck. Sorry this happened to you but it doesn’t change the fact you can get your wheel 3 weeks early and on time by air 99.99% of the time. 

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Here’s my long winded shipment report (4 pages) beginning on 7/20. (Not in descending order)

Wow, thats quite a journey, but from what it looks like, Ive got about 2 more days if everything works out right... but Im bracing for more bad luck just in case! Thanks for sharing!

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Never happened to me and I’ve flown every new release wheel there has been the last 2 years. You just had bad luck. Sorry this happened to you but it doesn’t change the fact you can get your wheel 3 weeks early and on time by air 99.99% of the time. 

Ill probably get over it and be tempted to do it again anyway next time I want a new release wheel, I can just see it happening :laughbounce2:

Edited by -iB-
Declutter
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

I've had the unfortunate luck of having a lot of rain and work arrive at the same time as the S18, but have finally gotten the chance to put a few miles on it.  Definitely a much more substantial learning curve than the OneWheel...  But I've gotten through the basics and can mount and basically ride it - and while the dirt trails we live on are a less than ideal starting area, you certainly have to learn quickly!  No perfectly smooth asphalt here!  

Anyway.. now that I've gotten it up to a bit of speed, I've noticed a pretty prominent wobble in the 10-12 mph range, and not just under braking.  I can mitigate it some by squeezing the wheel between my calves, but that doesn't seem like how it's supposed to work.  I'd imagine this is a pretty common "fresh out of the box" issue.. Can anyone please suggest a fix?  I have done the calibration, and generally, the wheel seems to ride very well.  I have not completed the 10km intro period yet (7.68km).  Re: settings, I'm 6'1", 155lbs. I have the upper chamber at 130 and the lower chamber at 60. I did not measure the pressure of the tire, but it seems more than sufficient to support my weight and is comfortable to ride so far.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Straighten up your legs as you first notice the wobble.  This is the best advice.  Try to equally weight your feet (if you can).  

• Like 1

So, if I turn on the wheel and pick it up with the handle in the low position, when the wheel spins, there is an pretty pronounced shimmy right from the beginning. The scraping sound is the tire just barely contacting the pavement... I don't hear anything interfering with the rotation of the wheel when I'm riding it.  But the wobble I feel is consistent with the feeling I get picking the wheel up in this video:

37 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

^ Will do - thanks.  Also saw this video on correcting a tire that's out of alignment:

Going to take a look at mine shortly..  Will report back.

I think your EUC is good.  99% of the time is the rider fault.  Lower your psi a little also.  But the best tip is: straighten up your legs and body at the first sign of a wobble.  As time goes on you'll do that automatically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

So, if I turn on the wheel and pick it up with the handle in the low position, when the wheel spins, there is an pretty pronounced shimmy right from the beginning. The scraping sound is the tire just barely contacting the pavement... I don't hear anything interfering with the rotation of the wheel when I'm riding it.  But the wobble I feel is consistent with the feeling I get picking the wheel up in this video:

Its hard to tell in the video, but maybe your tire is misaligned? I think that the way to realign it is by deflating it, spinning the wheel around and realigning the tire by hand, and reinflating the tire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

Its hard to tell in the video, but maybe your tire is misaligned? I think that the way to realign it is by deflating it, spinning the wheel around and realigning the tire by hand, and reinflating the tire.

Agree. I think 100% it’s one of two things - beginners wobble or tire misalignment. Unfortunately since you are new to this there is no good way for us to rule out both of them happening together. 

Even though I am somewhat advanced at riding at 16s...when I jumped on my daughters MTen3 I had wobbles. Now that I’m used to the wheel they’ve disappeared. 

what’s odd is if it’s a tire issue shouldn’t take up to 10mph to cause the problem. Should be prominent before that. 

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

I will try all those suggestions.. Thank you very much..  Maybe just lowering the PSI substantially and riding it will allow it to settle into position.

Try positioning one foot slightly in front of the other as well as one ankle snug to the wheel, while the other is slightly away (1/2 inch). That helped me, as well as provides a bit more control over the wheel, IMHO.

^ Thanks for that suggestion.  I have tried a number of things described in the video posted earlier and while I can maintain control over the wheel, nothing seems to address the underlying sensation...  To EUChristian's point, once I noticed that the sensation of picking up the wheel while it is spinning is so similar to the sensation of riding it, I realize that it's apparent at all speeds.

• Like 1

Maybe you could lay it on the side and spin the wheel, watching for oscillations in the tire pattern?
Putting an object beside could help to mark a reference line.
A couple of mm shouldn't matter.

My moneys still on wobbles though, misaligned tyres are fairly rare.
You where quick to learn and the pedals are high.

edit: well I repeat a but what's been mentioned already, point remains :)

Edited by null

3 hours ago, HerotheCat said:

Too many people took the option this time. I don;t know the actual numbers but picture this, 100 wheels need to leave Hong Kong. You can only put one or two wheels on each plane going to the US and then only if it has fill in the blank and does not have fill in the blank. Your wheel is waiting in line for the next plane that fits the requirements. My wheel crossed the Pacific while Rehab1's crossed the Atlantic. We only live a few states apart. 

• Like 3

Rule #1.....Never Ever transition from riding a Mten3 for 2 weeks straight to riding the S18.:facepalm: Minor mishap but I feel much better now that I have my first scratch out of the way. :thumbup:

50167840196_d2cb7ed2d6_b.jpg

Set @18mph using DarknessBot. No wobbles. I did have to widen my stance as I don’t like the padding touching my legs.

Upper chamber=200 psi, lower set at 110 psi to begin with. Rebound is 1/2 turn from full ccw.

No methodology behind my settings. I’m 75 kg so these settings appeared to be midrange.

My wife is calling. :wacko:I’m out of here.

• Like 3