King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Re: the additional weight, I'd imagine nearly all of it comes from switching the material for the internal suspension components from aluminum to steel.

Just like at the bike shop..  Strong, light, cheap...  pick two.  Relative to what it would cost to make this wheel out of carbon fiber and titanium, I think it's safe to say we went with strong and cheap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gustesta said:

Have you ever had a wobble on that speed?  Unfortunately those wobbles eject you from the wheel (it's really different than a nosedive). 

I can fully attest to your wobble experience and yes it can throw you! Your so lucky you didn’t end up with a major injury. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I got it. Thanks man. 

It’s a smooth wheel at 31mph. I really like the CY H-5102 tire. It reminds me very much of the CY H-5157 16x3 I have on my 16X and Nik +. Much better then the CST on the V11. The pedals on this thing really suck though. I have small feet and they hang off. I imagine there will be good aftermarket pedals soon enough. 

Are the pedals too narrow or too short for you? What size shoe do you wear?

13 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

The pedals are longer then V11. So im guessing his feet must be hanging from the side which pretty bad. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic of pads for V11. Its not that straight-forward. V11 will never be as good at jumping as V11. You will be able to jump curbs but thats all you will be able to jump with it. 

With S18 you preload it and you jump. The only thing left behind is the wheel itself. The case, the batteries and everything else is taken into air by your feet holding it. 

With V11 you preload it and you jump. You try to take it up into the air with your feet and what happens is the suspension system/saddle goes up while the whole EUC stays on the ground. After you it traveled to the highest point of the suspension you start taking the EUC itself into air. 

Its because of how the suspension is made on V11. Sadly it will never be a comfortable jumping wheel but it definetly be able to jump curbs no problems.

Edited by eve
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

Too narrow. It’s mostly because where my calf’s touch the sides. I deal with this on other wheels as well. 

• Like 2

I’m wondering if the KS-16 or the 18S pedals will work. Frankly we need to get a solution for the pedals quick. Someone who tries the swap gets a Christmas card from me. I am not sure why they narrowed the pedals when it is clear that they had the better design before. So pedals won’t scrape?  The thing already has better clearance. Perplexed here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Too narrow. It’s mostly because where my calf’s touch the sides. I deal with this on other wheels as well. 

How do you like the wheel so far?  Better than the other ones you have?

Image may contain: shoes

Personally I don't think narrow pedals would bother me. Although my calves are tiny. 

Does anyone know of good off-road focused pedals that will fit the S18? Something similar to the Inmotion ones that were teased or the NyloNove pictured above.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Wilson said:

Does anyone know of good off-road focused pedals that will fit the S18? Something similar to the Inmotion ones that were teased or the NyloNove pictured above.

Imo just buy Vicious and regrip them. 

7 minutes ago, eve said:

Imo just buy Vicious and regrip them. 

When you get sand, dirt, and mud on them it doesn't matter what grip tape you use, your feet will slip. The open design, in theory, would provide grip in these conditions.

Edit: Similar to mtb flat pedals.

Edited by Mark Wilson

2 minutes ago, eve said:

Oh i see. But did you actually try Vicious? Cuz i doubt i will stop gripping even dirty.

No, I haven't. I'm just theorizing. But the trails in my area are often sandy and muddy. My grip is fine before I step off the wheel, but after I have to squeeze my pads because I no longer have any grip to keep my shoes from sliding off.

25 minutes ago, eve said:

Vicious is in a different category then any other griptape though. 

Well maybe I'll give it a try. But back to my original question. Does anyone know of good off-road focused pedals that will fit the S18? Also, are all Kingsong pedals compatible between their wheels?

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I’m not sure yet. I’ll tell you it’s a very smooth wheel though. No wobbles and great breaking. I think I need to let some air out of the shocks. I’ll report more over the weekend. I’ll enjoy it now that it’s unlocked. 

Thanks!  Enjoy it and let us know!

2 hours ago, Mark Wilson said:

Well maybe I'll give it a try. But back to my original question. Does anyone know of good off-road focused pedals that will fit the S18? Also, are all Kingsong pedals compatible between their wheels?

they are.. except for the s18 lol it has its own type of pedals... gw pedals may idk someone should try it lol

6 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

they are.. except for the s18 lol it has its own type of pedals... gw pedals may idk someone should try it lol

Agreed. This and a firmware update for 34mph until 60% battery life...my wishlist

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

That's the style I'm looking for but @Rywokast said 

Hopefully someone makes something similar that fits the S18.

i just meant relative to kingsong... it is different from all other KS pedals which are all interchangeable... well, there are actually only two pedals for all KS wheels lol but all fit on each other but they dont work in the same way as inmotion and gotway pedals that work when the inside of the pedal and outside of the pedal hanger squeeze together... this has the advantage of being adjustable but in the same way the disadvantage of not being as accurately precise as KS traditional pedals.... i havent seen the s18 pedals up close im not sure if they have some weird new way of attaching or if they have some sort of adjustment on them or w/e, im not saying they cant work with other ks pedals, i dont own one so i dont know that no one has tried.. all i know is their design is completely different so someone would just have to try it and see (however there are no magnets in old ks pedals.. so they would just flop about presumably)

Edited by Rywokast

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eve said:

Vicious is in a different category then any other griptape though. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

I regrip all my wheels with Vicious. Well, except the Sherman since that wheels grip tape is as coarse as Vicious.