King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

17 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

seems like it's the same. The battery box screws are quite a bit longer tho. Of course its the same cheap metal screws they have in the rest of their productions. I'll go find a big ass bag of them, since them being missing or total junk seems common.

Ah yeah, that makes sense that the others are shorter. Yeah, they are super cheap crappy screws 🙄

17 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

And is that new setting good for you with the ankle bumping there?

I personally like it there, yeah. I feel like I can get better leverage for jumps, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

:confused1::blink1: The terminator wheel has a tail??? 
...... Creepy !! 
Are you heating the tail up with the exhaust pipe for more damage points?? 

The GP tail mount can easily be removed. The S18 now has both Terminator and Transformer features. ;)

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ah, the good ole taint shot, good choice. I could make some very XX rated comments about how a fall could go, with that thing on there. :)

:popcorn:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

No wonder, it’s the smallest 18x3.0” tire I know. The width measures only 2.65” - 2.7”.

yes but the 2.5" C-1488 has a pronounced gyro effect O.o its obvious, but its not too strong so i like it

On 7/29/2020 at 6:10 PM, Gustesta said:

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc. Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique. The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage. Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell. I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me. I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

Exact same thing happened to me on my 84V 2100WH Nikola at about 25mph.  Strong wobbles launched my fat arse off and I superman'd for a good 20ft on the pavement while the wheel went another 100ft, hopped a curb, and landed in someone's yard.  

Edited by Feynman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Feynman said:

Exact same thing happened to me on my 84V 2100WH Nikola at about 25mph.  Strong wobbles launched my fat arse off and I superman'd for a good 20ft on the pavement while the wheel went another 100ft, hopped a curb, and landed in someone's yard.  

If your wheel went for another 100 ft before hitting something and causing it to crash (due to no rider), it sounds like you jumped off your wheel too soon!  :P

Edited by Cranium

6 minutes ago, Cranium said:

If your wheel went for another 100 ft before hitting something and causing it to crash (due to no rider), it sounds like you jumped off your wheel too soon!  :P

It's incredibly stable when moving without a rider!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wohoo, got bolts to fit. The battery box screws are an m3-.50x16.

:thumbup:

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I kept pushing for the wheel to go, but it just wouldnt.

I've found that when mounting the S18 on non ideal surfaces it helps me to position my stationary foot further forward on the pedal before hopping on for a quick boost of acceleration.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

:thumbup:

I've found that when mounting the S18 on non ideal surfaces it helps me to position my stationary foot further forward on the pedal before hopping on for a quick boost of acceleration.

I'll give that a try. It was kind of comical when i kept trying to start on the hill of rocks. I'd hop up, lean like hell and stay in one spot. I can say that its not any less responsive than the 18L. I think its extremely similar in flavor to their others. I'm sure its just that I'm not used to grabbing this one and forcing it to go. I was hoping for a little more oompf, but the motor seems same. It does feel like a 'refined' ride tho. It is odd to look down and NOT see the foot boards, as I'm used to much larger. They arent too small by any means, but they contour more, so you cant see them at the toes. Really cool format. I found a $10 BT speaker and I'll velcro that shit on it.

@fbhb   You are right, it is a new and foreign feeling. I am still in the 'don't drop it' phase and need to put more miles on it. I was just hoping for a lot more pulling power with less user input. It's just a firmware thing and it feels smooth like the others. I also need to dial in the suspension and get a shitty video of me, before making any big decisions. Once I drop the damn thing, its a keeper. I can totally tell that the suspension is smoothing things out and helping on the knees. I also hit a pot hole on purpose at speed and it managed it fine. This is a hole that I have to avoid on the 18L. Its a decent design and I'm guessing I'll keep it in the end, as I usually do. Besides, best to collect them now, as we'll be outlaws when they force legislation around too much.:ph34r:

• Like 2

“Of course, I dont have a tire gauge that goes to 150psi, and checking it with the pump is rather pointless, as you lose air when you remove it anyhow.”

Does the S18 not come with a shock pump? If not, get thee to a bike shop post haste.

I ordered the fast charger from eWheels.  Should be getting it tomorrow.  I still have my ninebot P fast charger as well.  I need to dust off my old fast charger project and adapt it for this wheel as well.  I never did finish the project to put the electronics in a nice case but it worked well for a data logger while charging.

Looking back at the specs, I tested the power supply to be capable of an output voltage of up to 100V and  an output current of 9+ Amps.  This power supply is still available on aliexpress for only $68 shipped which is much less than the $150 I just paid.  But to be fair, the one I bought from eWheels is full featured and professionally built with things I didn't even think to put on mine such as external charging current adjustment and charge level.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I ordered the fast charger from eWheels.  Should be getting it tomorrow. 

Mine works just great with the s18.. with only one charge port, its a great investment.

Apparently, these are the specs for the external batteries.  It will just act as a portable battery charger.  So we would have to carry it in a backpack and have it charging as you ride apparently.  I don't like the idea of having a cord plugged in on your back though.  If you accidentally drop the wheel at a light or something, it could damage the charge port getting ripped out.  Or if you take a break for a while, you could plug it in to recharge.  But the extra 10 lbs of weight would get you plenty more miles. 

HQcwUG3.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I am still in the 'don't drop it' phase

Bingo! That’s clearly the issue. Drop the wheel! It will lift a big onus off your shoulders. ;) 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Apparently, these are the specs for the external batteries.  It will just act as a portable battery charger.  So we would have to carry it in a backpack and have it charging as you ride apparently.  I don't like the idea of having a cord plugged in on your back though.  If you accidentally drop the wheel at a light or something, it could damage the charge port getting ripped out.  Or if you take a break for a while, you could plug it in to recharge.  But the extra 10 lbs of weight would get you plenty more miles. 

HQcwUG3.png

tinking

I agree. I was thinking that if I were to buy the external pack, I would have to add some kind of breakaway connector to the wheel. If you had 4 inches of a heavy lamp cord securely fastened to the wheel with one end wired into the wheel. the other with a connector that unplugs easy enough without breaking. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

Just got back from riding some paved trails. I increased the negative chamber pressure, so I'm riding at something like ~205 PSI in the positive and ~150 PSI in the negative, and rebound at 12 clicks clockwise from the most anti-clockwise setting. My riding weight is probably somewhere around 185 pounds. So much fun. Hitting gnarly tree roots in the paths like a boss - I hardly felt them! I've also never felt more confident through speed bumps and pot holes, I can confidently ride over them even while accelerating. When I was cruising on some smoother roads, it occurred to me that the suspension really felt like a smooth suspension in a car, that smooth undulation, like you're just riding the waves. The pedal clearance was nice, I got some pretty deep carving in. Now I just need to work on jumping up taller curbs and stuff.

I was thinking the same sort of thing. Maybe a short cable from the S18's charging port, out to a little cable tie mount sort of thing, so strain on the break-away connector wouldn't reach the charging port. Most of my RC connectors I use have much too strong of a connection, though... I don't have confidence XT60s would unplug easily enough. Maybe just some gentle sanding to on the plastic to loosen it up a teeny bit. I'm trying to remember how stiff Anderson Powerpoles are, I used a few of those in undergrad...

Have you thought about those magnetic connectors (they're becoming a reality )?  I'm not sure what kind of plug the S18 has, but if you find out what are the specs you may try to find the magnetic connectors on ebay or amazon.  

Just posted on Facebook today, for the attention of All New S18 owners

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

I was told to do the update by Jason, so I did. Didnt see a single release note, so it's kind of like having a mechanic work your bike over, tell you its better, and walk away w/o saying wtf he did. :)

• Like 2