King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Bad assembly seems to be the norm among most EUCs. Wonder if we can pressure kingsong into opening up an "Ikea" option for veteran wheelers who want their wheels built to better tolerances.

Maybe could be enforced through a tiered membership system like aliexpress where you unlock more options after buying enough to level up.

Perhaps an Ikea option would need to have a slightly lower price and reduced warranty.

This also opens up the possibility of expert build services and custom builds at ADs. Consumers get more options and business owners get to earn more, non zero-sum game don't you think

• Like 3

I do not have so many screw missing and none of them are damaged. The “3” screws shown in the battery Holder seemed odd to me. There should be at least four screws in my opinion. ( mine also has 3 screws.) To be clear the screw close the clamp for the batteries. They do not hold the pedals up but they do need to be moved when adjusting the pedals. The two bolts In the second picture clamp the pedals to the suspension struts. They are very tight. 

I need to check for other missing or damaged screws. The quality looks better on mine. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Ugh. Unfortunately you are the guinea pig my good man. Hope you get it all screwed together. I’ll be going over mine the same way you are.  Since this is built in an assembly line it could be a lazy worker or workers. Perhaps Ewheels can open them for us future batch people and check these issues out. Unfortunately yours came straight over so no checks can be done. 

Jealous but not jealous at the same time. Hope you get this worked out. Your opinions are aligned with mind so I’m following your posts closely. 

This is just plain old poor workers is all. Its not a design defect, its not poor tolerances, its simply bad building. I doubt Jason can afford to comb thru each unicycle. Typically the chore of building something is up to the company that FREAKING BUILDS THEM! We arent talking plastic model cars here. Actually, I'd almost prefer the damn thing to come in pieces with build instructions.  I can only imagine how organized the assembly line procedure must be at the KS factory. Yes Im an asshole, but there is simply NO EXCUSE for these kinds of mistakes. I can only imagine what else has been overlooked, as Ive only noted the obvious and I only gave it a cursory check. Either E-wheels is going to have to work with me on this, or it will go right back. Im not looking for perfection at all, but this is reckless. Funny how mine arrived with the back plastic laying in the box. Wasnt there a statement made about how there has been 'changes' and 'improvements' to these little details? I recall even seeing a post citing things that were being done, that obviously havent been. I'm not looking forward to taking this thing completely apart, but thats whats going to have to happen, BEFORE I put my trust in it for the riding style I do. Ive had all my other wheels apart and I guess this one is no different, pending answers from ewheels that is. Just like my motorcycles and cars.... I personally maintain them and I personally trust them and I personally know who to blame when shit falls off of them.

@RockyTop the second picture is showing how mangled the tab screws are. I'd imagine they are in there for good. 3rd picture is hard to see, but theres ZERO screws holding that black shell onto the black inner rails. I KNOW it isnt right, as the shell is loose and the other side has the screws. Again, this is only from glancing for a moment and I havent opened up a thing. The big pinch bolts are probably tight, but i didnt check them (waiting b4 i proceed). I do see how they had been set tight and then moved, as the inner edges of the pinch surface has markings of previous locale. For now, I wont ride it. I scraped pedals just a hair, but its still scratch free elsewhere. I'd hate to cause damages, IF this thing needs go back under warranty. Figures I'd get the sake' fueled friday night builder on mine...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The S18 is getting real close. UPS Iive map. 

50163121157_ed98ec93d7_b.jpg

My wife actually enjoys watching grown “responsible” men acting like children waiting for their toys to arrive. :D

Be careful. We don’t need any more Rehab1 injury stories. Lost in the park might be fun. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

@RockyTop the second picture is showing how mangled the tab screws are. I'd imagine they are in there for good. 3rd picture is hard to see, but theres ZERO screws holding that white shell onto the black inner shell. I KNOW it isnt right, as the shell is loose and the other side has the screws. Again, this is only from glancing for a moment and I havent opened up a thing. The big pinch bolts are probably tight, but i didnt check them (waiting b4 i proceed). I do see how they had been set tight and then moved, as the inner edges of the pinch surface has markings of previous locale. For now, I wont ride it. I scraped pedals just a hair, but its still scratch free elsewhere. I'd hate to cause damages, IF this thing needs go back under warranty. Figures I'd get the sake' fueled friday night builder on mine...

I see the damaged screws in the second picture.  I would get a list of the screws needed and replace them all with quality screws when you disassemble. They use the cheapest screws possible. I think it is luck of the draw on quality assembly.
I might be less generous on my appraisal after I wreck mine a few times but I am loving mine. I don’t feel like I am going to break something every bump I hit. ( I break stuff) 

Quick, Cheap, Quality. ..... pick two at best. 

• Like 1

I got my s18 yesterday and tried it out.

Could not get the kingsong app to run on my android phone so could not unlock the wheel.

Had to ask a friend with an Apple phone to download app and unlock my wheel.

At 20 kM/Hr the motor cut out.  I was able to balance and ride it out for a while until it was slow enough that when I lost my balance I was able to "run it out"

So no injuries.

I am wondering if a bump in the road could have caused the handle lifted enough to disengage the motor?

Any ideas how I can find out why this happened?  I don't want it to happen again because I am not sure I will be as lucky with my balancing/slow down.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tim716 said:

No one in the world has succeeded to “ride out” a cut off wheel so far.

So, either you’re a Guinness book person, or there is much more to the story. Can you please give all the details.

“Run it out” vs “ride it out”. I have a feeling he was going slow enough to jump off the wheel and keep running to keep from falling. Which is itself miraculous...but possible at a slow speed?

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Bad assembly seems to be the norm among most EUCs. Wonder if we can pressure kingsong into opening up an "Ikea" option for veteran wheelers who want their wheels built to better tolerances.

Maybe could be enforced through a tiered membership system like aliexpress where you unlock more options after buying enough to level up.

Perhaps an Ikea option would need to have a slightly lower price and reduced warranty.

This also opens up the possibility of expert build services and custom builds at ADs. Consumers get more options and business owners get to earn more, non zero-sum game don't you think

This seems far fetched on the surface but this is where the Onewheel platform is headed. Once we move into mainstream I believe this will become a reality. Aftermarket lights, tires, speakers etc would follow. Just need the numbers so the math works. 

26 minutes ago, tim716 said:

No one in the world has succeeded to “ride out” a cut off wheel so far.

A real cut off would be a real acrobatic masterpiece. Ridden out overlean was reported by @DjPanJan - afair because he did not lean, but press with the forefood.

26 minutes ago, tim716 said:

So, either you’re a Guinness book person, or there is much more to the story. Can you please give all the details.

Just an idea - could be that @Display name mixed up terms and meant tiltback - as this is (?used to be?) At 20 km/h as default?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

The width of the wheel well is approximately 80 mm, and you can see that it tapers down to 78 or 79 mm as you move closer to the center of the wheel.
On the sides of the current tire, there is about 5.5 to 6.0 mm of clearance,  and radially, there is about 8 mm of clearance.
KSS18TireClearance.thumb.jpg.47a8fe74a68dbbe31c1fca62cee6d04d.jpg

From that perspective, it does look somewhat of an issue. However as one moves closer to the center, wouldn't that be just the wheel & motor that the wheel well is shrouding? Hence, there should be no rubbing of tire anywhere. If anything, the wheel well would be rubbing on the wheel/motor structure itself which based on the pic isn't an issue.

Edit: Btw I just caught the latest Kuji Rolls vid on the Sherm with street tire & where he caught a pretty huge dump. The Sherm went on a rough patch where it wobbled & bounced when he crashed. I bet he woulda saved it if the Sherm has suspension. Just sayin..

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

The width of the wheel well is approximately 80 mm, and you can see that it tapers down to 78 or 79 mm as you move closer to the center of the wheel.
On the sides of the current tire, there is about 5.5 to 6.0 mm of clearance,  and radially, there is about 8 mm of clearance.
KSS18TireClearance.thumb.jpg.47a8fe74a68dbbe31c1fca62cee6d04d.jpg

Does not look like it would support a knobby off road tire. Your thoughts redfoxdude?

1 hour ago, Display name said:

I got my s18 yesterday and tried it out.

Could not get the kingsong app to run on my android phone so could not unlock the wheel.

Had to ask a friend with an Apple phone to download app and unlock my wheel.

At 20 kM/Hr the motor cut out.  I was able to balance and ride it out for a while until it was slow enough that when I lost my balance I was able to "run it out"

So no injuries.

I am wondering if a bump in the road could have caused the handle lifted enough to disengage the motor?

Any ideas how I can find out why this happened?  I don't want it to happen again because I am not sure I will be as lucky with my balancing/slow down.

You might need to recalibrate the wheel. Did it slowly tilt you forward more and more? 

15 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Does not look like it would support a knobby off road tire. Your thoughts redfoxdude?

I'd have to look more into what is available out there, but some of the tires I was looking at, it would be awfully close. =/ Hopefully we can find something suitable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

You can always go for a chunky 18x2.5 knobby. Wouldn’t be too far from the standard tire size and definitely enough for a good ride off-road. The 18x3” / 2.75-14 knobbies will be too tight. 

The actual size of the s18 tire is 2.625” x 19.375“

Not really Much of a 3 inch tire.  

Edited by RockyTop

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes sir. How close are you?

So here it sits. No screws appear missing. In fact it came with bag of extra screws with @ShanesPlanet name attached.;)

50163446188_ee5cd38e14_b.jpg

Oh man she is a beaut!

I'm just over the river in Northwood! Maybe if my V11 ever arrives we can meet up and compare suspensions!

• Like 1