King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

2 hours ago, -iB- said:

The other thing I noticed, of course.. my back light wasnt on. A bit concerning... not sure what was up with that. Hopefully there is something Im unaware of that I need to do to get it working.

Isn’t the backlight supposed to indicate battery level as well? If you checked it at the end of your ride when the app indicated 1% battery then it is not lit when idle, right? Breaking should still make it light up tho...

• Like 1

After just a week of owning the S18, I'm wanting to try the V11 and/or the Veteran.  I just got off the phone with my son and offered him a deal he couldn't refuse.  I'd buy one of the other wheels and whichever one I decided to keep, he would get the other for 1/2 price.  

Now I need to decide on which to get but I'm leaning towards the V11.  I am a EUC commuter.  I love the S18's looks and performance but am a bit disappointed on the reduction in max speed after <14 miles (230 lb rider) while riding at the top end.  I don't really like nightly charging to 100% but just got the fast charger so will probably just start charging to 80-90% for daily commutes to preserve the battery.  If I could go multiple days without charging and without speed reductions, that would be even better but  it's not an expectation.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redfoxdude said:

Went for a quick 13 mile ride today. A little over 1000ft of elevation gain. Throttling doesn't seem bad. I started with 81V, and returned with 73V. Never sagged below 71V and I was able to go at least 22 mph the whole time, even on the way back, up hill and against a strong headwind. I didn't feel like pushing until I heard beeps, haha, I was just enjoying the ride.

Nice video, wheel and carving style. 

Got any pointers? I have started to practice the heel and pointing the hip towards the turn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Nice video, wheel and carving style. 

Got any pointers? I have started to practice the heel and pointing the hip towards the turn. 

Thank you! Hmm, it's hard for me to put to words, but I'm still figuring it out, too. I'm more used to carving the Monster, where you really need to put your weight into your feet when you shift directions to combat the gyro (even with the carvier tire I put on), but you don't need to as much with the S18. Some folks describe it as pumping with your feet. Committing with your hip is good. I think the other thing to get used to is feeling the natural rhythm of the carve depending on how wide/deep you are carving.

5 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

I'm assuming Inmotion's increase of an extra 5mph is a rx to one up Kingsong & perhaps demo feedback. Regardless since it occurred at the very last preproduction stage, I'm assuming it was FW rather than hardware. Thus I'm also assuming that KS should also be able to do similar.

The V11 was announced as an at least 55km/h wheel last fall, way before it was even called the V11. The reduction to 50km/h to speed at the launch event was a surprise to some of us. Getting them to up it back to 55km/h was therefore a more reasonable request, since the higher top speed had been on the table during the design period. They also said having tested a 60km/h firmware.

5 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

rather than motor max rotational speed.

The rotational speed is one thing, having the power required for the headroom for bumps etc. is another. Both are required for a faster top speed.

4 hours ago, HerotheCat said:

The automatic turn-signals are pretty nice indeed!  -- If the wheel is moving and you tilt left or right, the brake light "flows" in the same direction as the tilt/turn. Is this all KingSong wheels or new to this one?

Previous KS wheels only had a single rear light, so no turn signals. The feature itself has been seen years ago already, at least on the MSuper V3 and the MSX/P/S.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HerotheCat said:

The automatic turn-signals are pretty nice indeed!  -- If the wheel is moving and you tilt left or right, the brake light "flows" in the same direction as the tilt/turn. Is this all KingSong wheels or new to this one?

The KS16X has little rear-facing tail lights on either side that blink like "turn signals" when you lean, though they aren't super visible. That's the only other King Song wheel that does that, as far as I am aware. A neat little easter egg, if nothing else. =]

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

ISO anyone who is looking to get rid of their s18. Maybe the wife found it hidden in the garage next to your other five wheels and is making you get rid of it.. Or maybe you took it on its first ride and decided your scooter is more fun. Maybe you're not really into riding off road and would rather cruise the mall parking lot. I'll pay full price plus shipping

anyone....anyone....? :dribble:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Went for a quick 13 mile ride today. A little over 1000ft of elevation gain. Throttling doesn't seem bad. I started with 81V, and returned with 73V. Never sagged below 71V and I was able to go at least 22 mph the whole time, even on the way back, up hill and against a strong headwind. I didn't feel like pushing until I heard beeps, haha, I was just enjoying the ride.

Is that original shock? Or you swich it?

On 8/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, iode said:

We've known the top advertised speed for months and months now; we put our deposits where our mouths were, why would anyone complain now?

Its 31mph. Sadly in reality its 28mph. I would atleast like to get that 31mph.

Here is a quick and dirty gif (if the forums allow gifs). No matter what operational mode its in (idle, trolley, riding), I can't get the back light to come on.  But front light works ok. I'll probably be making some contact with Jason to see if something can be done without having to return my wheel 😂

20200805_183108.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -iB- said:

Here is a quick and dirty gif (if the forums allow gifs). No matter what operational mode its in (idle, trolley, riding), I can't get the back light to come on.  But front light works ok. I'll probably be making some contact with Jason to see if something can be done without having to return my wheel 😂

Does it come on when charging?

On 8/4/2020 at 2:16 AM, gon2fast said:

Early S18 owners - are you happy with your purchase and is it living up to your expectations? 

My first glitch. The handle telescopes up to a ‘first catch’  position for carrying. The right side of the telescopic detente no longer holds so the handle tips upward. Now all of the lifting forces are concentrated on the left telescopic detente. 

Given the weight of this wheel I don’t expect the handle to last when 100% of the lifting mass is now focused on one thin- walled telescopic tube.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My first glitch. The handle telescopes up to a ‘first catch’  position for carrying. The right side of the telescopic detente no longer holds so the handle tips upward. Now all of the lifting forces are concentrated on the left telescopic detente. 

Given the weight of this wheel I don’t expect the handle to last when 100% of the lifting mass is now focused on one thin- walled telescopic tube.

That has always bothered me with KS. I like a separate lifting / trolley handle . Lift too fast without making sure that both sides are engaged and things break.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RockyTop said:

That has always bothered me with KS. I like a separate lifting / trolley handle . Lift too fast without making sure that both sides are engaged and things break.  

Unfortunately even when I  extend the handle at a snail’s pace  the right telescopic detente slips right past the first locking position.

I don’t feel like disassembling the wheel as there are no KS tear down videos I’m aware of. I plan to contact @Jason McNeil . I have other wheels if I need to send it in for repair. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3