King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

40 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I’m having déjà vu all over again. LOL. Every new wheel launch it’s the same old argument. People complain about the exact same things with every new wheel. First the batteries aren’t big enough and it won’t go far enough and then most importantly it won’t go fast enough. Then our resident experts chime in with all kinds of engineering numbers stating why the previously mention three complaints can’t be achieved. Then people argue with those guys citing the engineering numbers. I could be wrong but I would bet a one month coffee supply that the engineers at King song (and other wheel companies) read this stuff and laugh their asses off. Seriously go back and read last years Nikola and 16X threads. Hilarious. 

I know I know but but...but I'm a newb in this wheel game. I only got on board this spring as an antidote to this wuflu madness. I have to ask. I just havta!

Mama told me if I don't ask, the answer's always NO. She also said that the only ppl afraid of questions are the liars! Ya I know, my Mama's wise as heck or maybe crazy as a pet coon🥰.

Seriously though, as mentioned in 1 of my prior posts, I got this S18 specifically as a monowheel MTB for the all mountain & bike park technical stuff. So even 30mph top end isn't of any priority nor a necessity.

Perhaps its just human fallacy but nothing says I can't want more & more choices are always better no? Guess I can only blame Mama for instilling 'em dumb & unreasonable golden rules to live by.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, musk said:

Wow that's what the sound is?  I had no idea that coil movement was a possibility.

Against code, Electritions sometimes run aluminum wire to large 40 hp motors. When the motor starts up you can hear the wire thrash / jump against the Insides of the conduit. “ Chink’” . After 10 - 30 years the shielding wears off the wire and shorts to the conduit:  I have seen this happen many times. 

31 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

As was shown in the following posts, the rider most probably does not have an understanding of the wheels power delivery capabilities deep enough to properly assess the wheel’s viability for high speeds at any given riding situation. The available headroom alone is a complex matter, never mind possible political ramifications and the company’s fundamental guidelines.

Headroom against the limited top speed does not improve safety very much, but headroom against the wheel’s maximum rotational speed does. Which can’t be accessed by software.

I absolutely admit my ignorance in EUCs where's coming from ebikes & escoots, there is no such a thing as cutouts! If voltage goes low, the speed correspondingly slows & if battery's kaput, it don't go. There's none of this crazy beeping, tilt back or cutout stuff.

I'm assuming Inmotion's increase of an extra 5mph is a rx to one up Kingsong & perhaps demo feedback. Regardless since it occurred at the very last preproduction stage, I'm assuming it was FW rather than hardware. Thus I'm also assuming that KS should also be able to do similar. I'm a newb in this but it would seem that KS speed limitations is arbitrary (for whatever reason) rather than motor max rotational speed. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a built in safety margin as that's just basic engineering practise.

Again, I don't know & I am hoping KS might enlighten us. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

I absolutely admit my ignorance in EUCs where's coming from ebikes & escoots, there is no such a thing as cutouts! If voltage goes low, the speed correspondingly slows & if battery's kaput, it don't go. There's none of this crazy beeping, tilt back or cutout stuff.

I'm assuming Inmotion's increase of an extra 5mph is a rx to one up Kingsong & perhaps demo feedback. Regardless since it occurred at the very last preproduction stage, I'm assuming it was FW rather than hardware. Thus I'm also assuming that KS should also be able to do similar. I'm a newb in this but it would seem that KS speed limitations is arbitrary (for whatever reason) rather than motor max rotational speed. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a built in safety margin as that's just basic engineering practise.

Again, I don't know & I am hoping KS might enlighten us. 

It's probably hardware too. V11 has an custom made motor. Inmotion control the design down to the assembly, all done in house. 

• Like 2

Can someone confirm if there are two or three pedal height adjustments?

If there are three settings, the lower setting doesn't have the any screws in a hole, but in that bottom slot. I assumed those screws were a safety/backup for the four hex bolts that hold the assembly to the two support-bars. ** The wheel came in the second position.

I couldn't get a picture, but here's a visual (highest, middle, lowest):

1.png

2.png

3.png

I'm not complaining, I just don't want to use that lowest setting if it's not what is intended.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Feynman said:

Oh cool.  I'm in Richmond, so if you want to ride and check it out lemme know.  Not sure about trails nearby, but I live off a gravel road full of bumps and potholes that kill my back on the Z10.  That's first test for me.  It just arrived, btw!

Awesome!  Congrats on your S18 delivery!  There are bike trails in New Territory, next to Brazos River and Grand Parkway 99...and also at Sugar Land Memorial Park and Brazos River Park (next to 59 and Sugar Land water tower).  I've never been on any of those trails, but have been told they were fun to bike on.  Let me know when you decide to try those trails.  If my S18 doesn't arrive by then, I could just follow you on my mountain bike.

40 minutes ago, HerotheCat said:

The automatic turn-signals are pretty nice indeed!  -- If the wheel is moving and you tilt left or right, the brake light "flows" in the same direction as the tilt/turn. Is this all KingSong wheels or new to this one?

For your reference, my settings for street/sidewalk riding (I'm at about 140lbs and 5'9"):

• Tire pressure: 40 psi
  • Lower Chamber: 120 psi
  • Upper Chamber: 175 psi
  • Rebound: 15 clicks (exactly in the middle)

After about 15 miles on the wheel, I love it. It's what I expected, looks great and rides smooth as silk. My only beef is there is no real way to park it. Balancing on center and tilting backward doesn't balance all that well and exposed a design flaw, IMHO. The mud-guard is attached very flimsily. Just setting the wheel on it causes it to partially come out of it's position.  I can foresee that piece coming off completely at some point during a ride. If you don't check it occasionally then you'll never find it. I'd hate to glue it on. Alternatively, tilting forward doesn't work all to well either. If anyone comes up with a better way to park this thing, please share!

All-in-all it's a great wheel and I'm happy I purchased it!

I’m going to try to engineer a kickstand for it based on the INMOTION design, which is nice. 

Finally got mine today and took it to the streets!  What a beautiful thing this is!  It did take me about 5 mins to get on it since my only other wheels were a 14 inch and 10 inch, so its a totally new world, but was easy to pick up after that.

The only thing is that I noticed the rear lights arent on? Anyone else have that issue or did I overlook something dumb ...😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -iB- said:

Finally got mine today and took it to the streets!  What a beautiful thing this is!  It did take me about 5 mins to get on it since my only other wheels were a 14 inch and 10 inch, so its a totally new world, but was easy to pick up after that.

The only thing is that I noticed the rear lights arent on? Anyone else have that issue or did I overlook something dumb ...😂

Pics fellas! For all us just waiting around. 

1 minute ago, nycommuter69 said:

Sweet! All your wheels held up well. How was the setup process ? 

Thanks! The 14d looks ruined on the other side from all my learning dumps.

Unboxed wheel, used the block as indicated in the KS video, then set the pressure at 200 in upper and 100 in lower.

Didnt bother messing with pedal height since I just wanted to ride.

After that, I tried unlocking the wheel, no luck with android. I used IOS next, connected, updated firmware... still wont balance and constantly beeped when I moved it. Switched back to android.  It turns out I had to actually "lock" the wheel myself in the app, then unlock it, and that fixed the issue... thankfully! I was pretty worried for a bit.

After that I set the speed to 20kmph so I can get the wheel speed unlocked.

Only 2 things I noticed so far... at first the app said I had 40% battery, but after maybe 30 mins of riding I noticed it said i had 1%??? It wasnt tilting me back or anything... but better safe than sorry! On the charger she goes! I guess the battery percentage is wonky on the app.

The other thing I noticed, of course.. my back light wasnt on. A bit concerning... not sure what was up with that. Hopefully there is something Im unaware of that I need to do to get it working.

Overall setup wasnt too bad, just had to keep referencing the forums and videos for shock setup.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, -iB- said:

Thanks! The 14d looks ruined on the other side from all my learning dumps.

Unboxed wheel, used the block as indicated in the KS video, then set the pressure at 200 in upper and 100 in lower.

Didnt bother messing with pedal height since I just wanted to ride.

After that, I tried unlocking the wheel, no luck with android. I used IOS next, connected, updated firmware... still wont balance and constantly beeped when I moved it. Switched back to android.  It turns out I had to actually "lock" the wheel myself in the app, then unlock it, and that fixed the issue... thankfully! I was pretty worried for a bit.

After that I set the speed to 20kmph so I can get the wheel speed unlocked.

Only 2 things I noticed so far... at first the app said I had 40% battery, but after maybe 30 mins of riding I noticed it said i had 1%??? It wasnt tilting me back or anything... but better safe than sorry! On the charger she goes! I guess the battery percentage is wonky on the app.

The other thing I noticed, of course.. my back light wasnt on. A bit concerning... not sure what was up with that. Hopefully there is something Im unaware of that I need to do to get it working.

Overall setup wasnt too bad, just had to keep referencing the forums and videos for shock setup.

I think your backlight should be on. Does it light up for braking or does it not light up at all, under no circumstances?

4 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

I think your backlight should be on. Does it light up for braking or does it not light up at all, under no circumstances?

Ill test it again tomorrow since its pretty late here, Im not able to see it when Im riding, but when I was off the wheel and trollying it back and forth, I saw no lights on in the back. I also saw no back light when I was off the wheel and messing with the app to try and activate them. My front light works fine though... so there's that. Ill put my phone down to record me passing by to see if it works during operation.

1 hour ago, EUChristian said:

I’m going to try to engineer a kickstand for it based on the INMOTION design, which is nice. 

It does balance on it's face - may not be as stylish as a true kickstand

S18 standing on face.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ben Hatfield said:

It does balance on it's face - may not be as stylish as a true kickstand

S18 standing on face.jpg

I was thinking about trying my hand at designing a 3d printed front bumper that also serves as a kickstand. Have to wait until I get my S18 though.  

37 minutes ago, Chetticus said:

I was thinking about trying my hand at designing a 3d printed front bumper that also serves as a kickstand. Have to wait until I get my S18 though.  

I would buy this from you. 

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I’m having déjà vu all over again. LOL. Every new wheel launch it’s the same old argument. People complain about the exact same things with every new wheel. First the batteries aren’t big enough and it won’t go far enough and then most importantly it won’t go fast enough. Then our resident experts chime in with all kinds of engineering numbers stating why the previously mention three complaints can’t be achieved. Then people argue with those guys citing the engineering numbers. I could be wrong but I would bet a one month coffee supply that the engineers at King song (and other wheel companies) read this stuff and laugh their asses off. Seriously go back and read last years Nikola and 16X threads. Hilarious. 

One month coffee supply bet?  hmmm....are we talking folders or Intelligentsia Black Cat?  ;)