How many of us are there?

winterwheel

I'm scheduled to do an interview with TV news folk tomorrow about winter commuting on EUC. I'd love to have any kind of ballpark numbers for how many people are riding these things in North America and/or worldwide (not just winter, but all in). If anyone has any ideas or knows of any resources to work this out before tomorrow at lunch time that would be much appreciated. I'd like to present this as a rapidly growing sport and having a number or two to back it up would be really helpful.

Edited by winterwheel

So far I have a ballpark number of 100,000 globally. That seems like a lot, but there are many places that have vastly more riders than Edmonton or even Canada. Counting China it's easy to image that number being reasonable. For North America my gut tells me there would be around 3-5k of us, but I have no way to support that number.

Edited by winterwheel

100K?! No way. Sports/hobbies with 100K participants have extensive infrastructure, with professional organizations, rules, many manufacturers, service centers, big events, etc. If we estimate the cost of each hoverwheel $1000, 100K would mean a $100M industry. No way these garage shops (KS, GW, IM - ok, large garage shops, but garage by virtue nevertheless) with neanderthal level of engineering represent a $100M industry. With just one distributor in each huge region. (ewheels, speedyfeet, somethingwerks, ecodrift).

I'd say, 5-10K worldwide tops.

Also, the sport might be shrinking, not "rapidly growing". Just read the forum from ca. 2015 - there was a lot of participants and a lot of enthusiasm those days; where are they now? Lost interest? Got injured? Who knows. Only a handful remain active since then.

• Like 1

Boy you sure are negative.:( Anywho, you are just throwing numbers around, which I can do equally well. The 100K number comes from the wheel manufacturers, and if anyone is going to have a handle on it its them. Also, it may not be growing rapidly in your neighborhood, but it is definitely growing rapidly in mine.

• Like 3

@Meulebeest It should be fairly representative for the West. But I doubt that many people use it in China, especially since it's only available through Google Play (which is banned in China).
Also, there are some bastards like me who don't bother setting an EUC.World account... And I think that's a majority. :)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

Wow GB is No4. I'm really surprised but also very pleased with that. Much more than I thought especially given eucs are illegal here. We might have enough interest to help with legal pressure, unless the majority of those km's are by one rider lol.

• Like 3

Hell, 100k sounds possible. I would word any statements i made about that, carefully.  I'd cite what the wheel people say. Of course they dont really know either, but at least youll have a scapegoat. At the very least, you can count me as #2 in USA for sure, in print, right here, along with mrelwood who also claims to ride... Kinda late to spring that one on us for an answer tomorrow. Of course, even the guys who are in the 'know', seem to be unsure. Man i love doing things that have no REAL registration and tracking! The amount of riders in my hood, just went up by 1000%, from none to one! Talk about an increase!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Wow GB is No4. I'm really surprised but also very pleased with that. Much more than I thought especially given eucs are illegal here. We might have enough interest to help with legal pressure, unless the majority of those km's are by one rider lol.

Certailny @KAY GEE is a major contributor to UK result :) I can say that because he doesn't bother to hide his tours and almost everyday you can notice a red EUC rider symbol on the euc.world map :) 

• Like 1

If 100K is the number of wheels sold, the actual number of users will be less, since many of us have more than wheel. Other riders might have stopped altogether.
Belgium wheelers has 787 members on facebook, but includes a number of other electric rideables, and we are a small country. I actually sometimes suspect we might have the highest percentage of wheelers per population. :D

Wheelers ; The Wheelers/ EUC international has 4643 members. Those are just people that have a facebook page and were interested enough to join a group.

My guess would be around 70K worldwide, if we assume that a quarter of the wheelers have two or more wheels. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Kinda late to spring that one on us for an answer tomorrow.

They only contacted me yesterday and they want to do the interview outside so they can show me riding around in -35c temps and get the story on the news when winter conditions are newsworthy. So there's a time sensitive element as the the deep freeze will gradually start lifting tomorrow and be gone by Monday.

That said, these numbers would be super useful to know for all of us who are promoting the sport so you're right, I should have researched this  earlier.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mono said:

By end of 2017, two years ago, InMotion had sold more than 10,000 units of the V8 alone. No way there are tops 10K EUCers around the world.

4 hours ago, Seba said:

First - EUC World database isn't in any way a representative source of information. Many users simply doesn't use tour tracking feature. I also doesn't collect any address information for users. So I can only make a simple statistics about count of tours we're started in which country and sum of kilometers of tours started in particular country. And here it is:

This discussion has been super helpful, I feel a lot closer to knowing my s*** going into this than I did yesterday. Many thanks. :thumbup: 

Edited by winterwheel

36 minutes ago, Mono said:

a conservative estimate is 1 million EUC km / year in Paris alone.

I'm definitely going to be using this number a lot, not just today, but when communicating with city political and planning folk. The city vs city thing will be great.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

Direct the momentum of the news piece to not just filling time/space, and maybe promote our activity more by referring their attention to other extremists (ie: the World Tour of Monsieur Flex), as well as other places and/or outlets of information.  Also don’t be shy about trying to get another interview!   :thumbup:
By using the Mr Flex World Tour will also show examples of other riders in extreme conditions.

• Like 1

Not worth mentioning but anything promoting the growth, awareness and safety of our sport is worth supporting.

I can confirm 2 regular riders, 1 occasional rider and 1 rumored sighting in Des Moines, Iowa, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway Galaxy.

3 in Des Moines, Iowa.

WEAR A HELMET!!!

20191109_165755.jpg