How many of us are there?

winterwheel

If I extrapolate the population of Des Moines (about 220k) to the global population 7.5 billion, that's about 1->34,000, four riders there means total riding population 136k in the world.  That actually checks out surprisingly well.:)

• Like 1

Well that would be true, but I must point out that no one has ever heard of Des Moines, Iowa.

In my Beach Bum days, where i learned all about tourists and other foreign bodies...

People (well...girls in skimpy bikinis) would say...

Ohio? Idaho? I think i know that's in the US, right? 🙂🙃

• Like 1

By number of tours   By number of kilometers
Country Tours # Country Kilometers
United States of America 3134 1 France 50514.892
France 2793 2 USA 35214.443
Poland 1819 3 Poland 24555.111

These numbers seem to suggest that the answer to "how many of us are there?" is "not many". 20000 miles for the USA is a low number. For how long a period of time is this number? If it's for a year, and average is something like 1K miles/year, that's only 20 participants who use EUCW and upload their tracks. What's meant by "tour"? Is it just a GPS track or a regular route that is not counted more than once? (i.e. if someone commutes along the same route 200 times a year, it's not counted 200 times, only once) - ?

Wheellog has "10K+" installs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cooper.wheellog

I don't know what's the next "bucket" after 10K when Google displays number of installs - 20K? 50K? 100K?

I'm sure vast majority of hoverwheel riders know about and use Wheellog, since factory apps for all wheels suck. Since average wheels per rider is more than 1.0 and number of Android devices is also >1 (I have WL installed on 3 or 4 of my phones), and also that some installs are just to take a look at the app, we need to divide the number of WL install by some factor >1.0.

But I'll update my estimate to the range of 10-20K of riders worldwide, to be on conservative upper side.

14 minutes ago, Seba said:

EUC World just as an app (as I don't even think about euc.world online service) is still unknown to majority of EUC riders. More, I suspect that majority of EUC riders are just using OEM apps or doesn't actively use any app. They just charge their wheels and ride.

I maybe use the app for "longer" rides. On most (daily commute) rides I don't bother to use any app. However I use occasionally a mix of KS or Inmotion (used to) wheelog and EUC.WORLD. But I never use Darknessbot for obvious reasons. Others do the opposite of me. 

So how does this put me into your calculations? The past year I have ridden about 3000km I doubt I tracked more that 1/4 of that distance or 1/5 of my rides. 

As for an answer to the threads title, it is simple, not enough IMHO. But the we come to are we better of to be massive present as escooters or so few we are on in the public rader/eye. To that I cannot answer. 

• Like 2

The other reason I'd like to have as much hard data as I can is that I am gradually starting to lobby local politicians and such to take wheels seriously as a form of transportation. Hoping to get a little bit of face time with the mayor of my fine city in a couple of weeks. It'll really help to know what the trends are when that happens.

Edited by winterwheel

13 hours ago, Seba said:

EUC World just as an app (as I don't even think about euc.world online service) is still unknown to majority of EUC riders. More, I suspect that majority of EUC riders are just using OEM apps or doesn't actively use any app. They just charge their wheels and ride.

Agreed. I’m fairly interested in the tech side and could like a gps log, but not enough to even try: my wheels drop the connection, and I dislike creating accounts.

What I’m getting at is people who care are already a subgroup, and people who actually log trips are a subset of those again. 

Edited by null
  • Like 2

winterwheel: I think you are attempting to tackle something that can have HUGE impacts on the future of the euc community. Im sure the sales and marketing departments are (or should be) crunching ALL the data they can get. Just from the business standpoint, these figures are really important. Anything that could change the transportation industry in any fashion, is a BIG deal as well. Best of luck on your findings, as I (and many others) would find it VERY interesting and/or useful to have. I dont envy the horribly difficult feat it will be to get ANY sort of reasonable estimates on any of this.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

winterwheel: I think you are attempting to tackle something that can have HUGE impacts on the future of the euc community. Im sure the sales and marketing departments are (or should be) crunching ALL the data they can get. Just from the business standpoint, these figures are really important. Anything that could change the transportation industry in any fashion, is a BIG deal as well. Best of luck on your findings, as I (and many others) would find it VERY interesting and/or useful to have. I dont envy the horribly difficult feat it will be to get ANY sort of reasonable estimates on any of this.

I agree totally on the importance.

But I'm hoping it may not be so tough to get a supportable estimate; we start somewhere and then just keep adding data points until a clear picture emerges.

• Like 1

I think many more billions can be safely dropped from 7.5 - 2.8. There's just so much poverty in the world that buying a hoverwheel or even knowing it exists is not even on people's minds.

l_2438_1dfc13ab2f39b2c531fb43183156ff14

Let's take 1 billion as world's population that knows about and can afford to buy a hoverwheel. Well, we need to further exclude children and elders, so, let's say 500M. I'll work from my guess of 10K worldwide, so it's 1:50000. If we take NYC metro population, 20M, then there should be roughly 400 riders. I think this sounds pretty reasonable. If there was 100K instead worldwide, there would be 4000 in NYC... seems to be too much - sightings of riders will be much more frequent, there will be more widely known incidents and negative press of riders behaving aggressively on roads and sidewalks, police will be enforcing ban more actively, etc. San Diego metro pop. 3.3M -> 66 riders, not 666. Sounds about right? LA = 13M -> 260 riders, not 2600. SF = 4.7M -> ~100 riders, not 1000.

14 minutes ago, Aneta said:

I think many more billions can be safely dropped from 7.5 - 2.8. There's just so much poverty in the world that buying a hoverwheel or even knowing it exists is not even on people's minds.

l_2438_1dfc13ab2f39b2c531fb43183156ff14

Well, that map pretty much ensures me that most of the world either hates the usa, or resents the usa. Im gna remember this chart, next time i start bitchin' about money. I'm assuming thats annualy. And to think, i  claim 'poor' at being <$20k.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Well just so info for you to understand we have a passion, hidden or not shared by more, simply because it looks different and difficult and added the learning curve against us as EUC riders to be adopted within reasonable time. That was the point.... 

So now to the info... 

In Sweden rental escooters are a new business only started in the biggest cities yet... Keep in mind we are talking only rentals here. It started around 2018 in Stockholm, the capital. So in 2019 the argument was to limit escooters due to high increase of major accidents/injuries. It rose 800% in one year... That is the politician talking.... So it seems huge but how many rides was done the year before almost none because it is a new business. So in 2019 the estimated numbers the 3 biggest rental companies had (hold on to your hats here and sit down....) 1 million 1.000.000 rides/trips logged. In a country of 9-10millions. 

Now that numbers needs to take into account the 2 years before that you could get 25% refund if you bought a ebicucle upto sales value of 4000€ as once per citizen. So ebikes sales had been high too. 

So in that regard we are getting more riders, but we are still only a few in comparison. 

Just something to consider.... And when the wife or colleague thinks EUC riding is too risky or difficult to learn what do we suggest.. 

Use a escooters or ebike... I have seen this many times here on the forum. 

I wrote before we are too few, but I didn't think it will get to be a big thing no matter how much I like to have a local euc store in my city.... We don't even have one in our country. Some tried to sell ninebot e+/s2... And airwheel small models... But no proper dealer are in business here. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Seba said:

Certailny @KAY GEE is a major contributor to UK result :) I can say that because he doesn't bother to hide his tours and almost everyday you can notice a red EUC rider symbol on the euc.world map :) 

I don't hide my tours but my red dot hasn't shown up on the euc world map :-(

2 hours ago, Aneta said:

But I'll update my estimate to the range of 10-20K of riders worldwide, to be on conservative upper side.

Conservative, because it's less than the number of sold V8s? LOL :roflmao: 

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

I agree totally on the importance.

But I'm hoping it may not be so tough to get a supportable estimate; we start somewhere and then just keep adding data points until a clear picture emerges.

To get a reasonably good estimate of the number of sold wheels should not be that terribly difficult. In particular if @Jason McNeil will be so kind to chime in and give some hint :D