[1860Wh MSX Warning - Oscillation!] Gotway Repeats The MSuper V3s+ Debacle of 2017

Sure would be nice if Gotway could implement a small micro USB port on the controller or even use the charging USB ports as a firmware upload port using a flash drive.  Wouldn't that make things a lot more convenient to update wheels?  Maybe Gotway still fears that it might also be easier to decompile the firmware if they release software to the public?

If other manufacturers are providing through the app bluetooth wireless firmware updating without much fear, why is Gotway, a major leader in EUC making, still behind the times?  There must be some way to encrypt the firmware so that only the  onboard processor is able to decrypt it internally?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sure would be nice if Gotway could implement a small micro USB port on the controller or even use the charging USB ports as a firmware upload port using a flash drive.  Wouldn't that make things a lot more convenient to update wheels?  Maybe Gotway still fears that it might also be easier to decompile the firmware if they release software to the public?

If other manufacturers are providing through the app bluetooth wireless firmware updating without much fear, why is Gotway, a major leader in EUC making, still behind the times?  There must be some way to encrypt the firmware so that only the  onboard processor is able to decrypt it internally?

I believe it's never going to happen with Gotway for reasons already explained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That sounds a bit unbelieveable though, even for GW.

...which I realise has been said about GW multiple times before already...

... and then exactly that has turned out to be true. :facepalm:

:roflmao:Electric unicycle manufacturers summed up in three sentences...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

:w00t2: This might be the funniest thing I've read on this forum. @Hunka Hunka Burning Love you da man! ROFLMAO!!

I agree that there have been a lot of Gotway improvements. All the glass half full people realize that Gotway just needs to see the light. After getting kicked around on this forum and having to send Jason a big shipment of boards several times, it's got to make them with they could just push out a firmware update and "fix" the issues. Sure having a hot mess of existing boards out there will complicate matters, but it wouldn't be that hard to start with version xyz.1.1 and allow field updatable firmware going forward. It would be a big deal and plenty of people would want to upgrade and buy new wheels because of that feature alone. It future proofs your purchase.

Hello Gotway! Want to increase sales? Add the ability to upgrade the firmware. Bingo. $$$ Caaaching!

Here we go - another Hunka Hunka :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Now everyone close their eyes and wish really hard for app updateable firmware via bluetooth for Christmas!!  :innocent1: 

49168139642_a22de9e278_b.jpg

• Like 3

To throw a wrench into this; this feels very similar to the issue I am experiencing on my Monster v3, except that it is mostly noticeable at speed above 20mph, and the oscillation looks faster. But other characteristic is similar; the wheel will oscillate forward and back when I accelerate and be amplified by any bumps.

I did not get the wheel from Jason, and the other  person whom got the same batch @Ben Kim did not have this issue, but I think he replaced his control board due to his wheel being burned during the delivery process. so that might have addressed the issue also.

Should I look into replacing my board?

Edited by Hsiang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

I'm going to say yes for the selfish reason that I want to see if a new board changes anything;) Also I don't see what else could cause such symptoms (like you describe) other than the oscillation bug being present in the Monster firmware in some way, too.

Questions are: How do you make sure a new Monster board has different firmware? Why would they even change the Monster firmware if no problem is reported like with the MSX?

So maybe... wait? No point in getting a new board if it's the same as the old board. But eventually I think you should replace the board.

We need more info on what causes this kind of bug and if anything has been changed due to this:mellow:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

To throw a wrench into this; this feels very similar to the issue I am experiencing on my Monster v3, except that it is mostly noticeable at speed above 20mph, and the oscillation looks faster. But other characteristic is similar; the wheel will oscillate forward and back when I accelerate and be amplified by any bumps.

I did not get the wheel from Jason, and the other  person whom got the same batch @Ben Kim did not have this issue, but I think he replaced his control board due to his wheel being burned during the delivery process. so that might have addressed the issue also.

There should be zero back-and-forth oscillations at any speed on any Gotway wheel. It sucks that you didn't get the wheel from Jason so you may be stuck with footing the bill yourself.

I understand your hesitancy, but I can assure you that your Monster should be steady as rock.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

My board came from Wheeltech on Aliexpress, no oscillation problems or ridability issues. Axle nut is also holding since I applied Loctite red. 

Also, you did not have this issue from when you received the wheel. This happened after your axle nut coming loose multiple times and a couple of drops, so i’d investigate elsewhere and rule them out before you drop any money on a new board. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

My board came from Wheeltech on Aliexpress, no oscillation problems or ridability issues. Axle nut is also holding since I applied Loctite red. 

Also, you did not have this issue from when you received the wheel. This happened after your axle nut coming loose multiple times and a couple of drops, so i’d investigate elsewhere and rule them out before you drop any money on a new board. 

It took me a while before I start pushing my speed much past 20mph, also, since I came from riding the z10 I am use to the wheel shaking violently while I am on it at speed.. LOL. it doesn't bother me that much so I'll give it some more time, but it is annoying since it is pronounce above 35mph and basically puts a cap on my speed.

Its early days but I did a quick ride today 20mins/4miles lots of stop/start/corners/25mph runs and didnt have any oscillation problems on my new 84v 1860Wh. Fingers crossed as I havent given it a proper shakedown yet but it appears that maybe this is indeed constrained to the 100v models.

My rear light is operating normally (FWIW) and also my buzzer is in the usual place (again FWIW).

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

Its early days but I did a quick ride today 20mins/4miles lots of stop/start/corners/25mph runs and didnt have any oscillation problems on my new 84v 1860Wh. Fingers crossed as I havent given it a proper shakedown yet but it appears that maybe this is indeed constrained to the 100v models.

My rear light is operating normally (FWIW) and also my buzzer is in the usual place (again FWIW).

IMG_20191208_165952_656.jpg

Uhh..where's the extra battery pack...?  You sure you don't have an 84v 1600wh?  That's what it looks like..

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, Planemo said:

AFAIK the oscillation problem is related to 100V model with 1600+Wh battery only, it has different firmware.

I hope @Jason McNeil will bring us good news with those fixed controllers from Gotway. :)

• Like 1