[1860Wh MSX Warning - Oscillation!] Gotway Repeats The MSuper V3s+ Debacle of 2017

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I love watching your MSX do multiple rotations in slo-mo. Sorry :D

There were just shy of 3 complete 360-degree rotations of the wheel in the air. Amazing it wasn't damaged more (usually the pedals hit and they get twisted).

I knew somebody was going to get some perverse enjoyment out of that airborne action. Glad it was you! :clap3:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you have experience riding Gotway wheels? Just know that your wheel should ride smooth with zero back and forth oscillation. When riding straight it really should feel like your Z10.

No experience of Gotway but for sure I dont think I would have thought that the vibrations I saw in the vids were normal. My pain is just the thought of getting a duff wheel. Mine is an 84v so maybe they are a different batch and I will get lucky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

No experience of Gotway but for sure I dont think I would have thought that the vibrations I saw in the vids were normal. My pain is just the thought of getting a duff wheel. Mine is an 84v so maybe they are a different batch and I will get lucky.

I feel your pain. Let's stay optimistic and assume yours will arrive with no issues :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

84V = evil beeper is somewhere else = I would not expect any problems (after all, the 84V have been fine so far)

FWIW Mine's (84v 1600wh) in the cavernous upper stern, all isolated (alone, not shielded) and smug. No behavior like what's described here. Purchased last week from eWheels.

Edited by night_ombudsman
disambiguation
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, night_ombudsman said:

FWIW Mine's (84v 1600wh) in the cavernous upper stern, all isolated (alone, not shielded) and smug. No behavior like what's described here. Purchased last week from eWheels.

This is very specific to the 1860wh version of the MSX. All others need not be concerned

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'd open the side panel, disconnect the beeper, and then remove it. In about 10-minutes I'd know if this is really the cause.

Alternatively, what if I relocated my beeper (currently far from the motherboard) onto the motherboard. Could I replicate the issue with a "problem free" 100v MSX?

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Alternatively, what if I relocated my beeper (currently far from the motherboard) onto the motherboard. Could I replicate the issue with a "problem free" 100v MSX?

Perhaps. But really, there are too many unknowns. If you were to do that and nothing happened, that would not really prove anything since we don't know what else (firmware, control board version, etc.) has changed between yours and these new models.

Of course if your wheel did start behaving like these new models then that would prove the case.

If you feel like being a mad scientist, don't let me dissuade you :D

Edited by Marty Backe

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

84V = evil beeper is somewhere else = I would not expect any problems (after all, the 84V have been fine so far)

We dont know its the beeper yet but even so I dont know if the 84v 1860wh has packs in the same place, if it does, maybe they moved the beeper on those too?

Or have all the 84v you refer to 'that have been fine so far' been 1860 versions?

It could also just be an incorrect firmware flash that has made it way onto the latest batch of both wheel versions.

As much as I would love it to be true, I think its a bit early to just say that the 84v is ok?

Well Nick just beat me to it...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jason Ramsey said:

My 100v 1860wh does not have this issue.  Still testing it though...  Need more miles on it.

This is strange. With every discovery we make on this issue it seems like we understand less :confused1:

On a side note, the taillight thing (in my experience) is irrelevant, since mine works as it should. The only issue is with the oscillating behavior.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to re-flash my board with the firmware intended for the 1230wh variant (optionally with code added to support the taillight). Although based on what Jason told us about GW's development process, that firmware might not even be compatible with my hardware :facepalm: So I guess unless they release a new special firmware and it gets to my wheel somehow, my best option would be to just to swap the board with a 1230wh model. 

Also just to clarify, I mean no harm to Jason, he's our saviour in this situation and I'm super grateful we have a mediator with China as good as him :)

Edited by Nick McCutcheon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Update, completely removing the beeper from the wheel does nothing to solve the issue. Also, beeping the horn with the app produces no noticeable difference in wheel tilt.

As I anticipated :D

Thanks for taking one for the team :cheers:

@Jason McNeil

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jason Ramsey said:

My 100v 1860wh does not have this issue.  Still testing it though...  Need more miles on it.

Trust me, it's not a matter of miles. If I rode the wheel for 10-seconds I would know. It's not subtle.

Yours was purchased from EWheels?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

I just got the 1860wh 100v MSX from ewheels last Saturday, and ride about 50 miles on Monday and 50 miles yesterday, speed at around 42-47 km/h. Now I will wait for Jason 's more response before ride it again.

Peter Q

2 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

I just got the 1860wh 100v MSX from ewheels last Saturday, and ride about 50 miles on Monday and 50 miles yesterday, speed at around 42-47 km/h. Now I will wait for Jason 's more response before ride it again.

Peter Q

And how does it feel? In terms of stability it should ride just like your ACM.

Are you experiencing any of the back-and-forth waviness that's being talked about here? 

5 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Doesn't this sound sort of like the loose control board issue that has appeared on other wheels, including some Gotway?

No. Loose control boards result in a violent shaking.