KS18XL 2200W motor

Cuba Gonzalez

38 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Cuba Gonzalez thanks for the order. 

For all existing eWheels 18XL Customers, we've ordered a large supply of these 2200W motors to perform a swap in upgrade for your current 18XL. These will be offered at a 50% discount for $150, including shipping, link to the motor to follow once the parts come in next week. Below claims to be taken with a packet of salt.   

• Motor magnetic steel increased from 27mm to 30mm, torque increased by 40%, spin speed increased by 4km/h, the mileage will increase around 10% based on same riding conditions.
  • Better acceleration, more safety. With new motor, the spin speed can reach 74km/h.

Sweet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

For all existing eWheels 18XL Customers, we've ordered a large supply of these 2200W motors to perform a swap in upgrade for your current 18XL. These will be offered at a 50% discount for $150, including shipping, link to the motor to follow once the parts come in next week. Below claims to be taken with a packet of salt.   

• Motor magnetic steel increased from 27mm to 30mm, torque increased by 40%, spin speed increased by 4km/h, the mileage will increase around 10% based on same riding conditions.
  • Better acceleration, more safety. With new motor, the spin speed can reach 74km/h.

Will these motors have the pedal hangers pre-installed? I know historically KingSong supplies motors with the hangers installed.

If yes, this makes the motor swap much easier.

7 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I don't think so, the KS pedal hanger design is really simple for changing out the motor, just the two hex screws at the top.  

Related image

Yeah, I know it's simple. But I remember seeing some new KS motors when I was last at your warehouse and they came with the hangers pre-installed. I remember you touting that as nice feature - KingSong supplied the motors with the hangers.

I guess they've changed their process.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Will there be firmware updates to allow 18XL to take advantage of the 2200W motor?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

My buddy just got his brand new KS18XL with the new 2200W motor and not only does it look and feel amazing, but it's *completely silent*.

No surprise as it would be the motor coils vibrating that cause the audible whine (or not).

8 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Didn't the original 18XL motor have a noticeable whine like the smaller King Songs?

Yes, all KS without the 2200W motor of the 16X have the whine.

-

Happy to see this kind of Gotway-style iterating from Kingsong.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

woah this is surprising... will KS put out FW to increase top speed? probably not.. not that i have even been able to get the app to open for the last month anyways lmao.. sut still that sounds awesome.. i love the 18XL but the only thing its slightly lacking in is a liiiiitle bit more torque.. this would make it perfect if its true... what about the 16S i would kill for a silent motor for that lol, even just walking it in a store emits an extremely embarassingly loud high pitched squeal

• Like 3

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No surprise as it would be the motor coils vibrating that cause the audible whine (or not).

Yes, all KS without the 2200W motor of the 16X have the whine.

-

Happy to see this kind of Gotway-style iterating from Kingsong.

Though the whine is physically produced by motor's windings, isn't its pitch/loudness determined by the pulses sent to it by the controller? I.e. sine-wave BLDC controllers make motors virtually silent, while square/trapeze make them more whiny. The factory-made 18L/XL V2 (with the new motor) probably also have either a new controller, or new firmware specific to this motor. Unless this motor's silence is caused by windings potted in compound...

• Like 2

Ok sorry for so many posts but on Jasons ewheels site it says on the one page listing of many types esc's ... 16x has 2000w motor and then when click on the 16x for details, it then states it has a 2200.  That was a bit confusing but I always have read early on it was 2200

7 minutes ago, Mark Frey said:

Ok sorry for so many posts but on Jasons ewheels site it says on the one page listing of many types esc's ... 16x has 2000w motor and then when click on the 16x for details, it then states it has a 2200.  That was a bit confusing but I always have read early on it was 2200

They modified their motor before release to fulfill the much requested 50kph top speed (originally planned was 45kph), which lead to 2200W rated instead of 2000W.

Specs have errors on pretty much every site I know, ewheels included. The 16X has always had the 2200W motor.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Though the whine is physically produced by motor's windings, isn't its pitch/loudness determined by the pulses sent to it by the controller? I.e. sine-wave BLDC controllers make motors virtually silent, while square/trapeze make them more whiny. The factory-made 18L/XL V2 (with the new motor) probably also have either a new controller, or new firmware specific to this motor. Unless this motor's silence is caused by windings potted in compound...

I don't know the details. The whine is produced by the motor coils vibrating in the PWM frequency of the motor control... well at least as far as I know. I always assumed they upped the frequency to something inaudible to get rid of the whine. But maybe it's a different mechanism like the modified wave forms or more glue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't know the details. The whine is produced by the motor coils vibrating in the PWM frequency of the motor control... well at least as far as I know. I always assumed they upped the frequency to something inaudible to get rid of the whine. But maybe it's a different mechanism like the modified wave forms or more glue.

My friend gooped the coils on his 16S with lacquer to get rid of the noise. Result? Zero difference. So, loose coil vibration has been debunked. Further than that, I have no idea.

But what did help was gooping the inside of the wheel well with a mass manufactured for acoustic treatment on cars. It doesn’t make it silent of course, but lowered the noise enough not to be a nuisance for me personally, despite me being quite sensitive to noise in general.

• Like 2