KS18XL 2200W motor

Cuba Gonzalez

8 hours ago, Jonesq said:

Sweet! I'll be doing the upgrade soon as well so it's reassuring to hear your assessment. KS advertises it as 40% more torque. What percentage increase do you feel on it?

on paper perhaps.. real world it feels to me more like 20% acceleration and 10% braking.. a worthy upgrade but nothing that's gonna blow your socks off.. that's at 53 ish kg though, with such a powerful motor I'm certain someone heavier than I could convince the wheel to respond quicker

• Like 3

Just now, RoadRunner said:

I did read somewhere that they are currently working on 1.14.

nice, I really hope it silences the motor.. for the sake of those around me haha but hey at least they'll hear me coming

11 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

on paper perhaps.. real world it feels to me more like 20% acceleration and 10% braking.. a worthy upgrade but nothing that's gonna blow your socks off.. that's at 53 ish kg though, with such a powerful motor I'm certain someone heavier than I could convince the wheel to respond quicker

I don’t know man. When I got the tune on my Mercedes-Benz computer it brought it from 378 hp to 490 hp. That’s only a 23% increase and believe me it completely blows my socks off. :-) It’s a totally different car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

I don’t know man. When I got the tune on my Mercedes-Benz computer it brought it from 378 hp to 490 hp. That’s only a 23% increase and believe me it completely blows my socks off. :-) It’s a totally different car.

haha although I'm not sure if it's fair to compare cars to electric unicycles I can see that, however it will vary based on your ride style and weight imo, I ride mainly 14 and 16" wheels and I didn't get to compare it immediately just three days later because unfortunately it's been raining and freezing lately.. honestly, if someone swapped it and didn't tell me I probably wouldn't even notice a difference and just chalk it up to foot positioning because I ride so many different wheels and not only the 18XL it's just not a remarkable difference to me.. I'm used to riding multiple wheels in one day and don't really notice the change that much anymore.. I would love to try it side by side with another that has an original motor though just to see, but to pay full price and do all the work to swap it out I wouldn't consider worth it.. half price from Jason, if you have the money to spare yea sure, but it's not life changing.. now if they came with pedal hangers and a tire/tube I would say yea it's worth it, otherwise for full retail if you want something with a lot more toque just get a 16X or another 16" wheel lol

1 minute ago, RoadRunner said:

Hm, i heard from others that it’s quiet.

@Patton250 you got the 16x as well, what do you say.

it is a tone that perhaps some may have a hard time picking up.. for me it's extremely loud

7 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I would say that it is as quick and as has much torque as my 16X now. I will race my son later today after church and get back to you. 16X and 18XL (with upgraded motor) side by side.

@RoadRunner I rode for about 5 miles and 15 minutes last night and it was not making that high-pitched noise like the original motor did. 

I think we got different motors lmao

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

I think we got different motors lmao

Well it’s a foregone conclusion we didn’t get the same motor since it can’t be in two different countries at the same time. :-)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Well it’s a foregone conclusion we didn’t get the same motor since it can’t be in two different countries at the same time. :-)

ya dont say lol.. well, if this is silent.. then i dont know what isnt, it sounds identical to my old motor 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

@Rywokast - that sound (from your video) is definitely not present on my buddy's new 2200W KS18XL... :-(

apparently mine is an anomaly... I looked at the motor before I installed it but I'll post a pic of the motor code I wonder if it's the same..

edit: yup.. same motor code..... why in the hell is mine so loud

20191123_034328.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
added pic

I did the new motor swap last week on my first batch 18XL. It's just as loud as the previous motor with the distinctive Kingsong whine still present. The main difference with the new motor is that now when I slow down to a stop the whole wheel shakes uncontrollably. No my PCB was not loose, and I did recalibrate horizontal after the replacement. My own observations between my 18XL V1 and my friends V2 is that his is much quieter, and his firmware is different as well. In the KS app it shows as V1.1 or such. Mine is V1.13. I'm wondering if the old PCB is incompatibile with the 2200W motor. I sent my wheel back to Jason at eWheels for testing. Hopefully I'll find out what the issue is since I have one more 18XL V1 waiting on a new motor. 

Edited by Daniel Clopton
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel Clopton said:

I did the new motor swap last week on my first batch 18XL. It's just as loud as the previous motor with the distinctive Kingsong whine still present. The main difference with the new motor is that now when I slow down to a stop the whole wheel shakes uncontrollably. No my PCB was not loose, and I did recalibrate horizontal after the replacement. My own observations between my 18XL V1 and my friends V2 is that his is much quieter, and his firmware is different as well. In the KS app it shows as V1.1 or such. Mine is V1.13. I'm wondering if the old PCB is incompatibile with the 2200W motor. I sent my wheel back to Jason at eWheels for testing. Hopefully I'll find out what the issue is since I have one more 18XL V1 waiting on a new motor. 

nvm, fixed

Edited by Rywokast

6 hours ago, Daniel Clopton said:

I did the new motor swap last week on my first batch 18XL. It's just as loud as the previous motor with the distinctive Kingsong whine still present. The main difference with the new motor is that now when I slow down to a stop the whole wheel shakes uncontrollably. No my PCB was not loose, and I did recalibrate horizontal after the replacement. My own observations between my 18XL V1 and my friends V2 is that his is much quieter, and his firmware is different as well. In the KS app it shows as V1.1 or such. Mine is V1.13. I'm wondering if the old PCB is incompatibile with the 2200W motor. I sent my wheel back to Jason at eWheels for testing. Hopefully I'll find out what the issue is since I have one more 18XL V1 waiting on a new moto

Are you sure its not your 30mm gun on your Warthog; causing it to shake?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Daniel Clopton said:

Are you sure that you tightened the 6 screws holding in the pedals enough? I had a similar issue before and I discovered that it was due to the pedal screws being super loose. 

3 hours ago, Jonesq said:

Are you sure that you tightened the 6 screws holding in the pedals enough? I had a similar issue before and I discovered that it was due to the pedal screws being super loose. 

I tightened everything. Nothing was loose in the wheel. Plus, this problem only appeared when above 65% charge. I'm thinking it's that side loaded firmware Jason mentioned that may be the issue. 

• Like 3

Could someone on the new 18LH v1.1 firmware check to see if King Song included the overcharge beeping "feature" that people have been complaining about on the 16X? If you leave it plugged in, after the battery is fully charged, it will start beeping until you unplug it. Not great for overnight charging unless you want to wake up the entire household.

Also, would you be able to check if speed throttling is still happening at 25% battery, or if King Song has quietly bumped it up to 50% like the 16X?

These two potential issues will determine whether or not I buy the upgrade for my 18XL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

okay well i just put on the new firmware with the soft tuner app and went for a ride, throttling is the same, not 50%.. as expected.. and now its pretty much silent all the time :) V 1.00 18LH

Did you feel any additional performance boost with the new firmware?

6 hours ago, Jonesq said:

Did you feel any additional performance boost with the new firmware?

yes acceleration is really good now, i get up to tiltback in a couple of seconds, you dont realise how fast youre going because you put the same amount of effort into it as what youre used to and before you know it its tilting you back because youre going 50 lol, really good acceleration.. braking could be better but its an 18" its never gonna compare to something smaller, but still vastly improved.. it is doing some weird thing where it constantly oscillates back and forth now which is especially prevalent at slower speeds or around corners... and since the new firmware the pedals are now quite flimsy, like if i just grab the wheel and rock it back and forth it sways a lot, very noticeable.. strange i have never felt that behavior before, and it certainly didnt do that with the old motor.. recalibrated multiple times to no avail, its probably the firmware

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2