KS18XL 2200W motor

Cuba Gonzalez

45 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

But 15K (the ”old TV” whine) is difficult for all adults to hear unless specificly focusing.

Yes! I mentioned about this when my brother received his new 18XL a few months ago. I wonder if my bro actually got the V2?! I think the new tire CST C-1488 turns a bit easier in a tight spot. And we already confirmed that it grips hugely better than the previous, a notoriously slippery CY H-5102. Anyway, the CST rides great!

CRT tvs have always been ear piercing to me... i really hope that they didnt change the tire because i looove the CYT tires, both my 16S V2 and my recent 18XL have the CYT tires and i find them extremely comfortable, very soft compared to the rock hard kendas i was used to and a bit softer than the CSTs ive ridden, but who knows every tire is different

14 hours ago, Asphalt said:

@AtlasP can your buddy with the new KS-18XL v2 / KS-18XLH identify when speed throttling occurs?

I'm curious if King Song has pushed it up to 50% battery like the KS-16X to accommodate the additional power requirements of the new motor, or if it's still 25% battery like the KS-18XL v1?

This is an excellent question. Unfortunately I don't think he (or I) will be approaching 30 mph on the KS18XL anytime in the immediate future/next few weeks to be able to test this--and presumably the throttling won't be noticeable in the 20-25 mph range until much lower battery percentages (not relevant to the main question).

I wonder how much of difference on hills the torque boost will make and if this wheel will run even warmer?

The prelim specs state more "MPGs" and more torque....possible to run cooler under same conditions as original motor?

Just had a baby boy on the 10th (also my birthday :clap3:) so new wheel-itus will have to be treated by learning new skills as a distraction until hopefully tax refund season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

New information in on this motor: KS had these new motors with a 2000W stamp on the motor rim, but the distinguishing feature of the 2200W, is a ZX lettering to denote it's the 2200W type. From a firmware perspective, the low battery throttling behaviour is the same as before, if the firmware is >1.11, then the 18XL will support the new motor type. 

Mine says "KS-18-ZX2000W".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Out of curiosity, do we know what the motor in the KS16X has stamped on it? Is there any chance they're the same or related?

im very curious as to why they thought it too difficult to label 2200 for the new 18 motors??

Monokoleso-Kingsong-KS-16X-46.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 1:05 AM, mrelwood said:

I wonder if my bro actually got the V2?!

Turns out the 18XL my brother received a few months ago is a sort of a hybrid. The motor is the older 2000W one, but it has the stronger white inner shell and the CST C-1488 tire that the V2 comes with. Mainboard version unknown, as it hasn’t been opened yet.

Edited by mrelwood

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Fairly detailed disassembly is over at ecodrift and Google translate actually does a quite passable job.

Well....... I suppose you are assuming I know what ecodrift and google translate is?

8 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

The motor is the whole wheel 

So swap over the pedal hangers to new wheel maybe tyre and tube 

Me- “ Can someone please give me an instruction video on how to disassemble this motor and put it back together?”

you-“ You just take it apart and put it back together“

me- “um........thanks I guess “

:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Well....... I suppose you are assuming I know what ecodrift and google translate is?

Me- “ Can someone please give me an instruction video on how to disassemble this motor and put it back together?”

you-“ You just take it apart and put it back together“

me- “um........thanks I guess “

:facepalm:

LOL and LOL too funny 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Google knows and brought me for example to 

Unfortionately with russian comments - but is maybe still helpful?

I googled it to my friend I just figured somebody here has done this 100 times and knew of a really good video that worked well for them. That’s what I was hoping for anyway. Thank you for your efforts on this.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 4:27 AM, Rywokast said:

im very curious as to why they thought it too difficult to label 2200 for the new 18 motors??

Politics. There's always a tension on getting information out about improvements on existing models, because they're reluctant for existing Customers to be clamouring for these changes to be available, the emphasis is on selling new kit.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Politics. There's always a tension on getting information out about improvements on existing models, because they're reluctant for existing Customers to be clamouring for these changes to be available, the emphasis is on selling new kit.  

@Jason McNeil I would put pressure on KS to label all parts correctly; so the level of integrity is maintained. When a part has 2000W on it then its a 2000W motor; KS has labeled all their motors in this fashion.  The number has to mean something otherwise it puts the numbers on all of KS wheels in to question.

• Like 2

Well, it well could *still* be a 2000W rated power motor, because rated power is measured on the input (electrical) side, not the output (mechanical) side. So, if motor is rated at 60V and 2000W, it means that the windings can withstand 2000/60=33.3A current indefinitely (i.e. without damaging overheating). What's different in this new "2200W" motor is 10% wider magnets, which gives it 10% more torque for given current. This means 10% more output power at given speed, but changing width of stator/magnets will not make windings any more capable of carrying higher current without overheating. Is this incorrect?

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Any word on when the XL motors will be available?  I would also like one of those Gotway  speedometer. 

Thanks for all that you do Jason.  

I damaged the motherboard (v1.3) of my KS18XL so I replaced it. The replacement came with noticeable differences, it appears to be the KS18XL v2's motherboard (v1.5). I can confirm the new motherboard works with the old motor.

• Like 2