New 100-volt 1860wh MSX's Arriving

Marty Backe

22 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Li-po pouches will need to have enough space reserved (=wasted) for their famous "pop":

wvw3jabjxji01.jpg

- that it will kill their energy density advantage. Also, it's much more significant fire hazard than hard-shell Li-ions.18650s, etc. have a valve under positive contact that breaks the circuit and releases gases, should the internal pressure increase.

So Aneta I'm guessing of the 3 options that come to mind you are 

1  A Google search engine zen master

2 An electrical engineer 

3 Have a photographic memory 

Either way you seem to have a depth of knowledge and a Lov of Math 😎

Edited by Gaz Bon

25 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Li-po pouches will need to have enough space reserved (=wasted) for their famous "pop"

You're right. I totally forgot about this "feature". :thumbup:

I guess that we still have to wait for rechargeable fuel cells or smth... But that's obviously > 20 years away.

8 hours ago, AtlasP said:

No because the individual cells are bigger. The energy density remains the same (energy per mass). The overall weight should remain the same.

Energy per internal mass is likely the same, but I would think three complete 18650 cells weigh more than two 21700s due to the amount of casings. No idea how much difference though.

7 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Um, that's not good. If you are pushing the EUC there are already issues with heat and from my understanding that little computer fan blowing over the mosfet doesn't do enough. If you have a lot of heat coming from the battery pack, that will just make it worse.

The mainboard is always a good distance away from the batteries, and can handle the maximum temperature a healthy pack could get up to. I don’t think this will be of any concern.

I was quite happy to hear about a new MSX being in the works! It might be time for me to upgrade next summer anyway... :w00t2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

GW contact is being somewhat coy on this question: from what I'm told, they are 'repurposed', but before using, the cells are individually checked for IR & random sampling for capacity.

I think that regardless of used cell quality, the average number of cycles they went through MUST be revealed. Truth/transparency in advertising. It's an important consideration for the customers. Otherwise, car dealerships can sell cars with 30K miles on them as "new" because "they run great". A used cell is a used cell, period.

• Like 1

Totally agree. I would be super pi$$ed if my new wheel had used cells in it even though they may run to spec at the time of testing. It's particularly relevant if you buy a wheel and shortly after decide to fit an extra pack (as I may well do) with new cells. The original cells may have hundreds of cycles on them and at some point this will cause a problem with the new pack you have made.

You simply cannot sell something as 'new' when that product contains used items which have a limited cycle span. I am very much hoping that GW isn't doing this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuerte said:

I am just getting excited for my new MsuperX 100volt that will be at my house Tuesday. I am coming up from a KingSong 14C, so this will be a huge improvement and I am very excited about the bigger pedals. By the way, shout out to Jason, he was kind enough to talk to me on the phone to help me decide between a Kingsong 18 xl, 16x and msuperx.

I went from a KS 14D to the MSX 100v. You're gonna love it!!  :efeeec645d:

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, Jason McNeil said:

With the Nikola, this leaves the top slot available for a 3rd 18650 615Wh pack. I asked GW if this would work, but they're adamant it's not supported & shouldn't be used. Can't really see why, sure there would be a lower drain rate from the 3rd pack,  the bulk of the load would be maintained from the 2x 21700s, unless I'm missing something here, what harm would that do....   

I guess 18650 cells have a different charging/discharging speed than 21700. For the same reason that you shouldn't mix cells of different age or model in one pack, you shouldn't mix packs of different cells. The 18650 would presumably charge/discharge faster, would get strained more in the process and eventually fail (much) sooner than when combined with alike packs.

Edited by Tomek
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, Fuerte said:

What have people used to protect their MSuperx EUCs?

This is a fiberglass case with a lifetime warranty for the MsuperX.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Protection-casing-Gotway-Msuper-X/401959754040?hash=item5d96ab1938:g:R5kAAOSwt35dzmRQ

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, Fuerte said:

Is there a place to buy the mudflap for the msx 100 v?

If you purchased from ewheels, check with them. If you bought it from someone else, then there is @EUC GUY. Not sure what is store is called at the moment but a quick Google search can answer that for you.

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

I ran into someone riding the 100V MSX today ... man, I don't need a 5th wheel! :wub:

I already have the 100V MSX in my head, although I absolutely don't like the look and quality. I hope that until spring a better alternative will emerge. 

But I want an official 100V with at least 1600wh.

Edited by buell47

On 11/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Looks pretty good, but the company won't be around long enough to offer a Lifetime warranty.  Also since it is a sleeve design, having it installed does not mean the original case will not crack.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:53 PM, Fuerte said:

That is cool Declan, but wow, that is expensive. I just got some foam that I am going to wrap it in for the short term.

My wheel was wrapped in lots of thick foam when I dropped it at 30mph (3rd drop above 20mph)

The left side split open and the pack hit the concrete. The wheel still rode fine, but the foam did very little to protect it in that kind of tumbling crash. Still a good idea though...

9 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

My wheel was wrapped in lots of thick foam when I dropped it at 30mph (3rd drop above 20mph)

The left side split open and the pack hit the concrete. The wheel still rode fine, but the foam did very little to protect it in that kind of tumbling crash. Still a good idea though...

30mph is indeed a speed that would require a lot of protection from all directions, for both the rider and the wheel. Luckily the beginner’s tumbles tend to happen at around 5mph.

What kind of foam did you use, btw? Closer to yoga mat or pillow variety?

On 11/26/2019 at 7:32 PM, mrelwood said:

What kind of foam did you use, btw? Closer to yoga mat or pillow variety?

I used Neoprene Foam, it's closer to a yoga mat. The intended purpose was for side pads, but I added some extra as protection

• Like 1