New 100-volt 1860wh MSX's Arriving

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Hi, did you run an additional BMS?

No, just piggy-backing to the existing ones, essentially modifying the two original 20S3P packs to 20S4P. A new BMS for the new cells might’ve been an easier and more robust choice though.

8 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Ah OK so its just the case that one of your BMS' now handles 4 cells per string instead of 3?

Exactly. I’ve done the exact same mod on all three of my wheels so far...

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Exactly. I’ve done the exact same mod on all three of my wheels so far...

Sounds like an easier method to me! Only downside being that if a cell goes down its possibly taking 3 others with it as opposed to 2 but not a great issue imo. Thanks, this might be a more suitable option. Btw did you spot weld or use Vruzen blocks?

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not familiar with Hansolo’s layout, I just measured that 5 cells in a row mated with  another 5 cells on top in the slots makes for a pack that is easy to fit four of in the wheel, and is easy to build.

If the weather were still nice for riding, I’m sure I’d hurry building the remaining extra packs, but I’m in no hurry to increase distance for riding in near freezing temperatures in shallow rain...

Hehe, yeah I hear you, we are in the wrong part of the world for year around enjoyment, but I really do like not having to charge very often and also dislike riding under charged, so to speak.

Ok I see, he posten in MSX mods earlier I thing, manage to plan batt layout in a clever way to actually get in 20S3P worth of batteries and a BMS on top of that. Perhaps more copied it by now but I from from before 1 other member did it and so did I after that.

May look very simple at first glance, and it is kind of simple knowing what I know now already done it but I can imagine it did require some thinking, planning before designing it cause let's be frank, my wheel carrying that mod is naturalize every little crevice worth of space to make them fit, require balance wiring between the sides of the shell and a bit of wiring, modifying required but end result is just amazing.

I am using same Sanyo's already in my original packs + original Gotway 84v BMS for peace of mind, NKON gave me a very decent price on the GA cell as well.

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

Sounds like an easier method to me! Only downside being that if a cell goes down its possibly taking 3 others with it as opposed to 2 but not a great issue imo. Thanks, this might be a more suitable option. Btw did you spot weld or use Vruzen blocks?

The main downside to me is that I have to unwrap the existing batteries, and solder 38 balancing wires on both ends, and attach 76 crimp connectors to the balancing leads. And then wrap the original battery with silicone caulk as well to make it water tight. It takes a lot of time.

I bought my GA cells from Nkon with soldering strips already spot welded in place. I really like that they offer the service, and it barely costs any extra.

20 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

bought my GA cells from Nkon with soldering strips already spot welded in place. I really like that they offer the service, and it barely costs any extra

That's cool I have had mixed results when welding batteries myself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

That's cool I have had mixed results when welding batteries myself

Exactly, this is one of the few jobs that instead of learning to do myself I rather leave to a company that I imagine does hundreds if not thousands of every month. It’s such a crucial spot (pun intended :D) after all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The main downside to me is that I have to unwrap the existing batteries, and solder 38 balancing wires on both ends, and attach 76 crimp connectors to the balancing leads. And then wrap the original battery with silicone caulk as well to make it water tight. It takes a lot of time.

I bought my GA cells from Nkon with soldering strips already spot welded in place. I really like that they offer the service, and it barely costs any extra.

Ah 'tagged' cells, I didnt know you could buy the Sanyos we need with them custom fitted, good find! Definately the way to go I think for us mortals without the ability to weld. Cheap too like you say. NKon also sell the shrink wrap too which is handy.

I hear you on the complexity of using the existing BMS, maybe it would be easier to buy another one after all, I think they are around £65. With 60x Sanyos and sundries I am thinking a 1600Wh to 2400Wh could come in under £400 which seems fair to me :)

Thanks for your help with this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I hear you on the complexity of using the existing BMS, maybe it would be easier to buy another one after all, I think they are around £65.

Not bad! Perhaps I should’ve gone that route too. In addition my method requires good crimp pliers, four pairs of crimp connectors, 100ft of cable for balancing, and a stupid amount of man hours...

• Like 1

I can't believe so many MSX vendors are still using the original design renders showing a black wheel and virtually slick tyre. I must admit though both look a lot better :)

Tyre probably isn't ideal for anything other than smooth asphalt but the wheel looks nice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yxzygäilijä said:

I just asked it at the seller. He said it's assembled and tested at gotways factory. Also he sent me this image: 

Screenshot_20191025-190559

Ask Gotway yourself.

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

holy cha ching.. why is it so much more expensive compared to the equivalent monster... 100V 2660 monster is pretty much the same price

5 hours ago, Rywokast said:

holy cha ching.. why is it so much more expensive compared to the equivalent monster... 100V 2660 monster is pretty much the same price

Would not recommend buying from here.  It's not official gotway product, and these alixexpress sellers can get batteries from anywhere...we don't know where.  Also are they adding BMSs for the additional packs?  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, photorph said:

Would not recommend buying from here.  It's not official gotway product, and these alixexpress sellers can get batteries from anywhere...we don't know where.  Also are they adding BMSs for the additional packs?  

I will, if the price is right.:ph34r:

9 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow!

Also we were told the 21700s don't fit in the MSX (as opposed to the Nikola). Apparently they do. Confusing...

For battery protection & safety, the Gotway Engineers do not think it’s a good idea to daisy chain additional packs without a BMS, as some other 3rd parties have done.  

In the end the choice is the buyers.  We have a contact in Gotway we work with directly.  Aliexpress sellers basically just do their own additions and source the cells from wherever.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, photorph said:

For battery protection & safety, the Gotway Engineers do not think it’s a good idea to daisy chain additional packs without a BMS, as some other 3rd parties have done.  

In the end the choice is the buyers.  We have a contact in Gotway we work with directly.  Aliexpress sellers basically just do their own additions and source the cells from wherever.  

Maybe Aliexpress Sellers do a better job than GotWay, who knows? :facepalm:

• Like 2

This is very tempting, the capacity the 100v needed available from Jason!  

@photorph is this a one time order from ewheels or will there be others after this order is sold out? 

I'm not willing to deal with the back lash of buying another wheel a week or two before out 1st baby is born :roflmao:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flying W said:

I'm not willing to deal with the back lash of buying another wheel a week or two before out 1st baby is born :roflmao:

:furious::angry: You are creating a standard that the rest of us will be expected to live up to. :facepalm:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

:furious::angry: You are creating a standard that the rest of us will be expected to live up to. :facepalm:

:laughbounce2: I shall keep my responsible thought to my self in the future to help preserve the greater wheeling good! 

And, I still having fully committed to not getting the wheel :whistling:

• Like 1