New 100-volt 1860wh MSX's Arriving

2 hours ago, Flying W said:

This is very tempting, the capacity the 100v needed available from Jason!  

@photorph is this a one time order from ewheels or will there be others after this order is sold out? 

I'm not willing to deal with the back lash of buying another wheel a week or two before out 1st baby is born :roflmao:

There should be more.  Demand for these has been fairly high. 

I have this on order from eWheels and am eagerly waiting for it to come in. Can we talk about what kind of range the MSX should get with the 100v 1845wh configuration? You mentioned that it will be similar to the Nikola 100v 1845wh. What range is that getting?  One of the advantages of having the higher range is that it is understood when running at higher speeds you're not going to get that maximum amount of range. Some say, "Who needs 80 miles of range, you can't ride that long." But at 30+ mph, you're not going to get that anyway. The question is related to how much more range can you get with these higher configurations?

eWheels website is not updated to show the more recent 100v and higher battery watt hour stats. I know it depends on the weight of the rider at average 20 mph speed and all that, but let's just compare to the general stats that are already out there.

Nikola 84v 1600wh - 70 miles

Nikola 84v 2100wh - ??

Nikola 100v 1845wh - ??

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-nikola-1600wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/

MSX 84v 1600wh - 80 miles

MSX 100v 1230wh - ??

MSX 100v 1845wh - ??

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-msuper-x-msx-1600wh-battery-2000w-motor/

Will the MSX with 100v 1845wh have more range than the 84v 1600wh assuming you are at the same average speed? Can someone with experience with these wheels, fill in some blanks for us here?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gaz Bon said:

🤣😂 if only 

Well, this is a general stat with a 150 lb rider averaging 20 mph, right? Let's talk real numbers then. What are you getting with your MSX? Average speed, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I did a formal range test (the same route and speeds that I do on all wheels).

• 84-volt 1600wh Nikola achieved 50 usable (no restrictions) miles and 54-miles until kicked off the wheel
  • 100-volt 1845wh Nikola achieved 60 usable miles and 64-miles until kicked off the wheel.

Looks like @meepmeepmayer was pretty accurate with the 32wh per mile number for an average sized rider. You could get higher for the flyweight guys, but a regular rider looks like it's about 32wh per mile. @Marty Backe's numbers show just slightly worse at 31wh for the 100v 1834wh. 

Now, since the MSX has a larger wheel (19" vs 16" on the Nikola),  my understanding is that it will get more mileage with the same battery/voltage configuration. Do you have a video Marty with a range test on the MSX? If we calculate the number of wh per mile with the 100v 1200wh MSX configuration, then we can project the 100v 1845wh range.

21 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Looks like @meepmeepmayer was pretty accurate with the 32wh per mile number for an average sized rider. You could get higher for the flyweight guys, but a regular rider looks like it's about 32wh per mile. @Marty Backe's numbers show just slightly worse at 31wh for the 100v 1834wh. 

Now, since the MSX has a larger wheel (19" vs 16" on the Nikola),  my understanding is that it will get more mileage with the same battery/voltage configuration. Do you have a video Marty with a range test on the MSX? If we calculate the number of wh per mile with the 100v 1200wh MSX configuration, then we can project the 100v 1845wh range.

Yes, there should be a MSX Range test in my MSX playlist.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Hmm, time to do a bit of range normalization on the those pages, typically a figure of 25Wh/mile is used a reference. Range estimates can be problematic, because if the figures on a >1600Wh assume that the Rider is operating at a higher speed than a lower powered Wheel, then this creates confusion among new Buyers, 'why does a 1600Wh Nikola only get 50 miles, when a KS 16S gets 33.6?' Even if the manufacturers range figures are reigned in, there's questions about why one's purported ranges are less. 

I agree that it would be good to put some real world (normalized) estimates on the website with comments regarding the range high/low based on speed/weight. It looks like the 32wh per mile is a better gauge of actual average miles at this point for the Nikola. But different wheels have different metrics due to wheel size, efficiency, etc. I think we should keep the comparison  using apples to apples. I know readers might get lazy and assume they can ride at a higher speed and get the same mileage, but it just needs to be clarified that is not the case. Wheels with a lower top speed, would simply get a higher wh per mile number because they will generally be more efficient since they cannot go faster. Why not give a wh per mile range with a calculated low and high distance.

For example Nikola = 25-35wh efficiency which generally provides  45-64 miles of range based on actual weight and speed. Then buyers can calculate their own weight and desired speed to determine what kind of range they need. They can also decide if they need the 100v and can live with the lower wh battery or if they'll need the higher one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I'm astonished at how body position greatly affects consumption, at least during steady state cruising.

If you need high range, just get a seat. I don't like seats, I won't do them, but testing seated versus standing the difference is somewhere between 1/2 to 1/2 (maybe 60% consumption when seated?).

Gosh, if you were to tuck forward when seated, wear tight clothing, no backpack, basically think Lycra time trial bicyclists, you'd just ride forever on a 1600.

I can suggest why.  When you sit down, you are not just removing (body width)*(approx 20") of wind resistance, but also reducing the most offensive torque correction required.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, there should be a MSX Range test in my MSX playlist.

There are a couple of range tests, but mostly in comparison to the KSXL18. Did you conclude that the range was 57 miles on the MSX (1600?). If so that would be 28wh per mile. Can you confirm. I also think you said that the KSXL18 has about a 70 mile range? Although there was some confusion about the accuracy of the app, Is that accurate? If so, then that would be 1554wh / 70 miles = 22 wh per mile. So, the lower number of wh per mile the more efficient the wheel and longer the range.

Preliminary comparison:

Nikola = 30 wh per mile

MSX = 28 wh per mile

XL18 = 22 wh per mile?

Is this generally correct? Please adjust per your opinion/conclusions @Marty Backe or @Jason McNeil. I'm just spit balling here looking for answers...

Is it just me or would this be really helpful? Then we would simply divide the wh of the battery capacity by the wh per mile to understand the general range of the wheel, right? Then, when the manufacturer increases the wh capacity of the battery in subsequent upgrades, you just do the math for the wheel efficiency to determine the extended range the extra capacity will provide.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

IMHO a wheel's efficiency and range should be more science and less subjective artistic interpretation.

For my fat ass (120kg) it's around 52Wh per mile on 84V 1600Wh MSX based on my recent range test. :)

And so "you can expect around this much if you weight XX" and "test it for yourself" are the best answers. Making it an exact science is much work for very little return.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

For my fat ass (120kg) it's around 52Wh per mile on 84V 1600Wh MSX based on my recent range test. :)

And so "you can expect around this much if you weight XX" and "test it for yourself" are the best answers. Making it an exact science is much work for very little return.

Yeah, so buy or borrow one and "test it for yourself". Or just guess and hope you're right. Not everyone wants to be doing this kind guesswork when they are dropping $2k for a wheel.

Let's say you changed jobs and your new job is now 35 miles instead of 28 miles (round trip). Your range on the MSX seems limited to 30 miles based on your 52 wh efficiency (weight + riding speed), not enough range to make it. With a simple calculation you can now determine that you will get about 40 wh on the XL18 and your range on that will most likely be about 39 miles. Perfect, that wheel should work for you. Thanks for giving a good example of why this could be helpful for those who don't want to roll the dice with their money and wheel selection.

• Like 1

Too many variables in range, if someone asks me I tell them of the general 20-30 wh/mile, and it can potentially be even higher than that.

Best way is just to test it yourself.  This MSX will have the most range vs other MSXs we have, that’s the only definitive range claim I can make.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Let's say you changed jobs and your new job is now 35 miles instead of 28 miles (round trip). Your range on the MSX seems limited to 30 miles based on your 52 wh efficiency (weight + riding speed), not enough range to make it. With a simple calculation you can now determine that you will get about 40 wh on the XL18 and your range on that will most likely be about 39 miles. Perfect, that wheel should work for you. Thanks for giving a good example of why this could be helpful for those who don't want to roll the dice with their money and wheel selection.

There are a few flaws in this scenario:
- A wheel has to be overpowered, I don't like riding on strong tiltback/constant beeping.
- In the winter range will be even lower - the wheel has to be overpowered.
- Selling and buying wheels is a PITA. You can updgrade as needed e-scooters and bikes, but not wheels - the market is too shallow.
- You can charge the wheel at work, which makes 30 miles more than enough.
- KS18XL and MSX, while similar, are different. On a road they'd behave almost the same, but in a forest MSX wins. While KS16XL wins in a supermarket.
- You always roll the dice when you upgrade to a used wheel. Hell, even a new wheel can have factory defects.

The thing is, you always roll the dice. I'd love for motherboard manufacturers to go over all BIOS settings, say which wifi chip is installed (it's always "802.11abgn" instead of "total PoS Wifi that loses connection every few minutes") and what IOMMU groups are defined, are there any drivers missing in FreeBSD... But they don't. And never will.

But you can find this info. Just not on manufacturer's websites. :) And Google is already powerful enough, there is no need to compile this info.

Edited by atdlzpae

22 minutes ago, Justin Boivin said:

I'm wondering if the greater power means a heavier wheel in this case, or just better engineering?

the weight comes mainly from the motor and batteries.. thats why any eucs with the same size motor and similar batteries weigh pretty much the same.. in general KS wheels weigh more because they have higher quality, thicker and more shell material with a more complex inside, whereas for the most part GW wheels are quite hollow.. greater power comes from better electronics and how they are tuned (comparing two 2k W motors, KS18L vs MSX) for example, the MSX has beefier electronics and less restraints meaning they are much faster than their counterparts from any other brand.. it will have absolutely nothing to do with weight (relatively speaking of course.. not comparing a 450W ninebot one motor to a 2000W tesla motor) which is how the 18XL can weigh more than the MSX even though the MSX is larger and has a bigger tire.. the 100V wheels weigh basically the exact same comparitively, with this wheel weighing a few more lbs than the usual 1600 wh 84V MSX due only to the additional 260 wh of batteries.. the 100V wheels are simply using different electronics, the motor in itself is not more powerful per se, it is just being utilized better, you could think of it like overclocking PC components to get a better performance.. they are not better components, they are just being utilized differently

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2