New 100-volt 1860wh MSX's Arriving

:blink:

:shock2:

:dribble:

Dee-hee-hee-LICIOUS!!

I've been holding off getting a new wheel because I really love my MSuper V3S+ (One of the silent-upgraded ones that came out just before the MSX). But this is WAY tempting! Bigger wheel! Higher pedals! 100v! Bigger battery! Manufacturer-direct!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......   NO! I MUST RESIST!!! The games are less than 2 weeks away! I... will... remain... faithful!

• Like 3

On 10/14/2019 at 2:07 AM, Jason Ramsey said:

Wow.  I've been wanting one of these.  Do you have a link or should we just email Jason?

Ewheels website will be updated within a day or two. 

EDIT: maybe longer...swamped with emails more than usual 

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For everyone excited and wanting to buy now:

These are still "only " MSXes with the old 18650 battery cells. A 100V MSX with the new 21700 cells may (or may not?) come soon, as it has been the case for the Nikola. Battery size would be 1800Wh then (1776Wh for real compared to 1838.2Wh for real in this mod - same battery size as the "1845Wh" wheels).

Whether or not the new cells will bring any outward improvements is still unknown. Personally I'm speculating on less voltage drop, which allows you to ride the battery down more without the annoying beeps whenever you have a power spike. So a little more usable range, maybe? And better protection against overleaning? Pure speculation (or call it wishful thinking;)).

So if you want the latest and greatest, be warned, this one might not be it for very long. Otherwise this is obviously a pretty nice wheel;)

Some will say the 21700s are a step backward... possibly.  The ones we are getting at ewheels have proven Sanyo batteries, vs Chinese 21700 cells.  They may end up being okay, but fact is they are not proven yet.

26 minutes ago, photorph said:

vs Chinese 21700 cells

Weren't the 21700s supposed to be Panasonics 50E? Do you know which 21700s Gotway is using for their packs?

Anyways, ALL I wanted to say: with Gotway there's always something newer and shinier on the horizon. So nobody will be disappointed:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Weren't the 21700s supposed to be Panasonics 50E? Do you know which 21700s Gotway is using for their packs?

Anyways, ALL I wanted to say: with Gotway there's always something newer and shinier on the horizon. So nobody will be disappointed:)

Gotway didn't really specify which 21700 they were using in the nikola.  Some aliexpress sellers claim it's panasonic but not confirmed.  

Yes there are always new things/improvements being made.  It's a good thing I suppose. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I upgraded my 84V MSX to ~1850Wh with a DIY 20S1P pack

This is really interesting as I am thinking of getting a used msx. Did you create a thread for this conversion at all? Would be great to see how you did it :)

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

This is really interesting as I am thinking of getting a used msx. Did you create a thread for this conversion at all? Would be great to see how you did it :)

All three battery extension mods that I've done I've followed Slaughthammer's piggyback technique explained in this nearly 3 year old thread:

21700s don't have any energy density gains to speak of over the 18650s. In a compact case like the MSX you are more likely to actually be able to squeeze the 18650's into tighter spaces allowing for more capacity. The 21700s primary benefit is a total reduction in parts and failure points. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, photorph said:

Some will say the 21700s are a step backward... possibly.  The ones we are getting at ewheels have proven Sanyo batteries, vs Chinese 21700 cells.  They may end up being okay, but fact is they are not proven yet.

Very interesting point. I know when the big box mod Vapes were all the rage, 21700 were considered an inferior battery for sure. I believe Panasonic did have a good one but basically all the other 21700 were considered inferior. I'd have to do some research as I know they've came a long way in the last 2 years. Wonder why no one uses Sony batteries. I know from personal experience that they experience far lower voltage sag and have a greater lifecycle than any other 18650 batteries I've ever used. I had a couple sets of Sony VTC5s that lasted 4 years and probably around 1000 charge cycles without any real noticeable performance drop. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 11:32 PM, photorph said:

Gotway didn't really specify which 21700 they were using in the nikola.  Some aliexpress sellers claim it's panasonic but not confirmed.  

Yes there are always new things/improvements being made.  It's a good thing I suppose. 

The 21700 cells I have in my Nikola plus, when I asked Mr Lin.. he said the 21700 are from Panasonic.. what else do you want to know? As I probably have one of the few wheels with this 21700 cells maybe I can help answer some of your questions 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

The 21700 cells I have in my Nikola plus, when I asked Mr Lin.. he said the 21700 are from Panasonic.. what else do you want to know? As I probably have one of the few wheels with this 21700 cells maybe I can help answer some of your questions 

That's very interesting.  The last contact ewheels had with Gotway was that their 21700 was going to be smaller capacity (overall) & with Chinese cells. One of the advantages of the Gotway 18650 cells, is that they use the best Panasonic GA cells in the business, so far a 0% defect rate.  With the 21700 we don't know the long term reliability.  So only the erides.co.uk get the very few 21700 cells Nikola they are making, seems a bit odd.  Why are their so few of those made if overall everything is better with those cells?  What's the advantage based on your experience?  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, photorph said:

So only the erides.co.uk get the very few 21700 cells Nikola they are making, seems a bit odd. 

Also seems odd that I can find no -one that has actually used erides.co.uk either. Why wouldn't Gotway use a well established UK supplier such as Speedy for their flagship wheel?

erides appears to be a new company with a Polish MD.

10 minutes ago, photorph said:

That's very interesting.  The last contact ewheels had with Gotway was that their 21700 was going to be smaller capacity (overall) & with Chinese cells. One of the advantages of the Gotway 18650 cells, is that they use the best Panasonic GA cells in the business, so far a 0% defect rate.  With the 21700 we don't know the long term reliability.  So only the erides.co.uk get the very few 21700 cells Nikola they are making, seems a bit odd.  Why are their so few of those made if overall everything is better with those cells?  What's the advantage based on your experience?  

For the time being, yes, erides.co.uk are getting some of, if not the only three we know of. I assume there will be more, no doubt, it is the future. The 21700 cells runs cooler as there is less resistance compared to the 18650. With my Nikola plus 21700, i only needed 2 packs on either side to give me 1800wh, therefore more balanced, and reduced speed wobbles to a certain extent, as a result of a lower center of gravity. Lets be patient, we will all start enjoying the benefits of the 21700 soon. besides some ecars already use these 21700 cell form factor, what better testing bed than in the automobile industry. These are just my opinion :)

Edited by Afeez Kay
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 4:06 AM, mrelwood said:

The dihedral pedal angle looks a lot more decent on this one as well! Great updates!

I upgraded my 84V MSX to ~1850Wh with a DIY 20S1P pack, but haven’t had the chance to do a proper range test just yet. Will make another pack as well making it a 20S8P wheel with roughly 2100Wh... I wanna go FAR and FAST! :lol:

Yes absolute do make a difference, my 20S9P config most def do scale from what I can tell but again, yeah these stupid maximum attack every acceleration and full blaze everywhere is something that prohibited me from noticing a period after upgrading, full on attack is something that truly do destroy efficiency no doubt. Saw some signs of very hot wiring and calmed down a bit, buried my head in work for months now and can not been riding so much, but form the bright side I enjoy the wheel more now and calmer everywhere. Had thought of mega battery pack inside own construction a while, even found a motor with claimed spec 10kW nominal/30kW peak and would just have gone downhill too fast I suspect, especially with this character of never ever getting enough?

So can not enjoy range a bit more, a good thing and also not worry about that accident that will come sooner or later too. But pedal angle while I can understand others, not optimal for me cause already my pedals start looking bad underneath, was a time I though it's impossible to scrape MSX pedals but not so.

Did you follow the Hansolo layout to some extent, other or own design building the 20S1P pack?

11 hours ago, Electroman said:

Did you follow the Hansolo layout to some extent, other or own design building the 20S1P pack?

I’m not familiar with Hansolo’s layout, I just measured that 5 cells in a row mated with  another 5 cells on top in the slots makes for a pack that is easy to fit four of in the wheel, and is easy to build.

If the weather were still nice for riding, I’m sure I’d hurry building the remaining extra packs, but I’m in no hurry to increase distance for riding in near freezing temperatures in shallow rain...

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 2:07 AM, Marty Backe said:

Thought you guys would be interested in this. EWheels is receiving a shipment of 100-volt MSX's with Gotway designed battery packs, providing 1860wh of juice.

An EWheels exclusive? $2300 if you buy it before they arrive in 3-weeks.

Tempting because I loved the range that I got on the Nikola Plus. I imagine the MSX would have the same boosted range.

Oh, and new black pedals apparently. Looks like Nikola pedals

100-volt 1860wh MSX

100-volt 1860wh MSX

100-volt 1860wh MSX

Gotway confirmed this configuration is not from them. This looks like the inside of my old 1845wh MSX 100v from eucservice.com.. or maybe not..I recognise that layout, as I recommended the extra battery pack to be split equally into two packs for better weight distribution. Pure speculation here of course..I may be wrong.. but I would definitely recommend this wheel.. awesome piece of kit.. :thumbup:C3B85E03-80A4-48E0-B49B-07461978F893.thumb.jpeg.b0e3561357a177c6566ade1e67fbc557.jpeg

B835E536-5CA6-4577-BF10-2A78DEA4DF22.jpeg

Edited by Afeez Kay
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not familiar with Hansolo’s layout, I just measured that 5 cells in a row mated with  another 5 cells on top in the slots makes for a pack that is easy to fit four of in the wheel, and is easy to build.

Hi, did you run an additional BMS? Hansolo bought an additional GW BMS but I wasnt sure what you did with your conversion? I am taking in everything that both of you guys have done for extra capacity, ultimately it looks like 2400Wh can be done in the MSX and that the capacity can grow as one feels the need which is great :)