New 100-volt 1860wh MSX's Arriving

So I recently bought a 1230wh 100v MSX and then heard about this upgraded one. A 1860wh pack would be $1000 and I'd have a 1230wh pack laying around. Alternatively I could try and sell my 1230wh so I can buy a new 1860wh for $2300. I have 4 questions:

1. Should I buy the battery and try to sell they smaller battery, or just buy the new wheel and sell the old one?

2. Should I see if I could buy another 1230wh pack and see if I can put that pack in my 1230wh MSX for a total of 2460wh...? (I have no experience with electronics):confused1:

3. Is the extra 600wh worth $1000?

4. Should I buy the 1860wh battery and a batteryless 100v Monster and put my 1230wh in the Monster? Total of $2300 (I just have no desire for the monster, especially with only 1230wh of juice)

I've noticed that some 1860wh MSX have different lights. I like lights!:thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

So I recently bought a 1230wh 100v MSX and then heard about this upgraded one. A 1860wh pack would be $1000 and I'd have a 1230wh pack laying around. Alternatively I could try and sell my 1230wh so I can buy a new 1860wh for $2300. I have 4 questions:

1. Should I buy the battery and try to sell they smaller battery, or just buy the new wheel and sell the old one?

2. Should I see if I could buy another 1230wh pack and see if I can put that pack in my 1230wh MSX for a total of 2460wh...? (I have no experience with electronics):confused1:

4. Should I buy the 1860wh battery and a batteryless 100v Monster and put my 1230wh in the Monster? Total of $2300 (I just have no desire for the monster, especially with only 1230wh of juice)

I've noticed that some 1860wh MSX have different lights. I like lights!:thumbup:

you know somewhere that sells 100V batteries? i dont.. i was told they are not for sale from gotway.. youd have a real hard time selling that smaller pack since its not like anyone can just add it in to their wheel and if they have a 100V gotway then it already has that same pack and its not like anyone really needs a spare.. you would have to find someone with a 100V monster who wants to upgrade which is a niche of a niche of a niche lol... if you were wanting to upgrade selling yours as is and buying a new one would be the best route since you say you have no experience with electronics, working with these high voltage electronics and batteries can be very dangerous in more ways than one.. also, you cannot just add another 1230 since it would simply not fit in any way in that configuration.. if you ask me, yes 600 wh is worth the extra 1000 if you use it.. which on a very high powered, high speed 100V machine you bet you would lol.. it would fit in the monster but again if youre not very experienced with both electronics and batteries its not something i would recommend.. and all MSX have new lights they were somewhat recently updated.. if you got unlucky you could have gotten an older version

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

My guess is you might even lose less money by buying and selling complete wheels. At least it would be less work.

2. Should I see if I could buy another 1230wh pack and see if I can put that pack in my 1230wh MSX for a total of 2460wh...?

No need, won’t fit. Past 140 cells (1850Wh @ 84V) the additional packs must be half of 20S1P spread around the remaining tight spaces. And connected together with numerous cables due to the shared BMS.

Note that joining batteries is not plug & play, and usually requires for you to make special connecting cables yourself that must be soldered with skill, since your health depends on them.

Depends 100% on your usage requirements and wants. For me personally, yes, since it would transform the wheel to a new class distance wise. My 1600Wh 84V MSX was the first to go out at our core group’s rides. It’s now at 1850Wh, and will be at 2100Wh come next summer. I will no longer be the one to call quits! My feet might though...

Should you buy a wheel you don’t want and equip with an insufficient battery that will trump it’s resale value? I think you answered that one already. :P

Newer MSXs have a cool new illuminated surrounding in the rear light.

• Like 2

The photo of the pedal is a rectangle shape (Nikola) pedal. But the shell of the MSX is cut out for the trapazoid/rombus shape of the MSX pedal. @stephen showed that using a Nikola pedal on an MSX will not lay flat against the cut out of the MSX shell.

Does anyone have a photo of the new 100V 1860wh MSX shell? Perhaps it's cut to fit the Nikola pedals.

13 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

The photo of the pedal is a rectangle shape (Nikola) pedal. But the shell of the MSX is cut out for the trapazoid/rombus shape of the MSX pedal. @stephen showed that using a Nikola pedal on an MSX will not lay flat against the cut out of the MSX shell.

Does anyone have a photo of the new 100V 1860wh MSX shell? Perhaps it's cut to fit the Nikola pedals.

doubt it.. probably just a painted ACM pedal like they're selling on ali

21 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

Basically all of my rides are around 20 miles right now. I go out after work and mess around for a while, or take it out on the weekend and cruise down some bike paths in the city, take photos, whatever. Maybe when I have more miles under my belt, I'll do longer rides? But 1230wh is by no means a small battery. That's easily 30 miles of range with a 25% battery reserve? Something like that. If that's enough, then it's really not worth the upgrade.

All the OneWheel XR guys would be jealous. (XR is for Extra Range) Those have 324wh. So compared to that, your battery is HUGE. 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

Looks really good :thumbup:

Can you confirm if they are definitely Nikola plates and not Tesla?

I presume they have changed the side panels on this model too?

I have ordered an 84v MSX and I am looking to swop out the plates, but I have read of differences between the Tesla/Nikola plates.

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Looks really good :thumbup:

Can you confirm if they are definitely Nikola plates and not Tesla?

I presume they have changed the side panels on this model too?

Do you mean Pedals? @Jason McNeilsays they are Nikola pedals and I think that he orders them from Gotway this way for our bigger American feet.

The side panels are unchanged and still have the trapezoid indentation that doesn't really match the pedal size, but it doesn't really matter that much as I mentioned the magnets still hold the pedal up when the pedals are stowed vertically. 

• Like 2

I meant plates, but I guess pedals to many people :) they dont go around, so I struggle to call them pedals..

Thanks for the info re the side panels, yours looked different in the pics but good to hear they arent and you have no problems. I had read Stephens posts but its good to hear of another sucessful 'conversion'.

I also queried what model the plates came from because of previous ACM/Monster horror stories of the plates falling apart, including Speedys:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/6575-warning-gotway-acm-v2-monster-pedal-breakage-incident/?do=findComment&comment=82771

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I also queried what model the plates came from because of previous ACM/Monster horror stories of the plates falling apart, including Speedys:

Pedals breaking on the Gotway machines are old news, the standard MSX pedals are spot on because of the angled nature, but if you want the Nikola pedals, they should be fine as well, you can ask @stephen how he's getting on with his. 👍 

1 minute ago, KAY GEE said:

Pedals breaking on the Gotway machines are old news, the standard MSX pedals are spot on because of the angled nature, but if you want the Nikola pedals, they should be fine as well, you can ask @stephen how he's getting on with his. 👍 

I'm still loving the nikola pedals i feel so locked in  ,, best upgrade for me 👍

21 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Here's a pic of the Nikola pedals that come with the 100v 1860wh MSX. I just received it today. 

20191108-163308.jpg

Mesmerizingly good quality photos, dude! Lighting, background, camera, just stunning.

Are the both pedals at their lowest position in the photo? It really looks like the other pedal has a much steeper dihedral angle. Mine came with 13 and 15 degrees in July ’18, but I thought the difference was just a one-off manufacturing inconsistency.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Mesmerizingly good quality photos, dude! Lighting, background, camera, just stunning.

Are the both pedals at their lowest position in the photo? It really looks like the other pedal has a much steeper dihedral angle. Mine came with 13 and 15 degrees in July ’18, but I thought the difference was just a one-off manufacturing inconsistency.

Thank you! :rolleyes:

The pedals are at their lowest position. I can't speak to how they compare to earlier versions or hardware combos. 

Here's another one from the side.

20191109-193554.jpg

I can say that it was pretty comfortable for the 36 miles I rode on it today (2 trips). 

Screenshot-20191109-160847-EUC-World.jpg

It's a sweet ride! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Looks like a regular phone pic to me with HDR switched on? :blink:

Yes, you are right. Samsung Note 8. Just  regular shot on my driveway. 

But the MSX doesn't get enough love because of the newer models that are out now. It might not be as sexy (basic lighting, no speakers) and a little awkward (trolley) but overall this thing is a workhorse. It's so solid and stable and just rolls over anything. With the 1860wh & 100v combo you get power + range like nothing else available! :efeeec645d:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Yes, you are right. Samsung Note 8. Just  regular shot on my driveway. 

But the MSX doesn't get enough love because of the newer models that are out now. It might not be as sexy (basic lighting, no speakers) and a little awkward (trolley) but overall this thing is a workhorse. It's so solid and stable and just rolls over anything. With the 1860wh & 100v combo you get power + range like nothing else available! :efeeec645d:

I might add that I didn't mean to knock the photo at all - I just realised my last post might read like that - apologies! It is indeed very good, I just think that phone photos these days are getting so good it's hard to distinguish between them and 35mm if the lighting is good.

I also agree with your second paragraph and for me the MSX is also bloody ugly but at the end of the day it's the cheapest and most well-proven way into speed and distance there is :)

Hence why I recently ordered one, although an 84v 1859Wh version as I couldn't justifiably stretch to the 100v :thumbup:

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 6:20 AM, Planemo said:

I meant plates, but I guess pedals to many people :) they dont go around, so I struggle to call them pedals..

Yes, why people call them pedals is a strange mystery, maybe rather than bike pedals they were viewed more like control pedals where you push them down to control stuff like machinery.  However; that is not how they work on an EUC, so it's a bad name that seems to have stuck with the majority of US riders.

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

Yes, why people call them pedals is a strange mystery, maybe rather than bike pedals they were viewed more like control pedals where you push them down to control stuff like machinery.  However; that is not how they work on an EUC, so it's a bad name that seems to have stuck with the majority of US riders.

not just US.. they are refered to as pedals probably in comparison to regular unicycle pedals, bike pedals, control pedals w/e and the bad translation skills of the people in china made "pedal" an easy to understand choice? either way that is what the manufacturers call them so that is what they are called xD