The KS16x has issues, but I just bought it. WHY?

photorph

You do like your flame war bait thread titles, don't you? ;)

3 minutes ago, photorph said:

so WHY do you all continue to buy it when competition (i.e. Gotway nikola) is the much better wheel?  In a way I bought it to find out WHY is this wheel still selling so much.

Looking forward to what you find out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You do like your flame war bait thread titles, don't you? ;)

Looking forward to what you find out.

Improved the title a bit ;)  But yea really curious to see why it's selling so much.  It is outpacing nikola+ sales and Jason from ewheels is swamped with emails about it post purchase.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

Come back to this thread later and let us know. I only have a 100 miles on it and I've always been a Gotway fan.. however gave it a chance and love it,  it's a solid wheel that is nimble and quick. It's my wheel of choice at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Come back to this thread later and let us know. I only have a 100 miles on it and I've always been a Gotway fan.. however gave it a chance and love it,  it's a solid wheel that is nimble and quick. It's my wheel of choice at the moment.

Thanks!  Good to hear someone who has used a nik+ prefers the 16X.  Now I have hope.

2 hours ago, photorph said:

Have ridden 7 EUCs so far.  I'm not a fan of kingsong, terrible software and firmware limitation...speed throttling, and under powered wheels.  I've stuck to Gotway and have been very happy.  My current favorite two I own being the msx 100v and nikola+ that I have no issues with.  I've had kingsongs before and they were not as good as gotways for some of the reasons I mentioned. 

I do not understand why OP wasted $2000 on an euc he hates to then just complain about it on the forums. 

OP maybe you should just sell it when you get it and go on with your life without an 16x. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, photorph said:

Anything else I need to know about this wheel, fill me in.  Do I need to calibrate this upon arrival?  etc etc.   @Mike Sacristan 

Congrats! Do you know if it will come with the CX tyre?
First or second batch?
It is a different kind of floating and I know how much you like to float.

You do not need to calibrate it on arrival just ride it as it is.
It is a very free feeling wheel with a nice mind reading feel to it.

Very interested in reading your impressions when you get it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prasket said:

I do not understand why OP wasted $2000 on an euc he hates to then just complain about it on the forums. 

OP maybe you should just sell it when you get it and go on with your life without an 16x. 

Well hate is a strong word, I have not liked kingsong wheels historically as much as Gotway wheels.  But since the 16X is such a departure from the usual KS wheels...i'm hoping something is different, I want to like it because it LOOKS great.  And I'm really hoping I do.  Verdict next week. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

My most fun on the wheel is actually sub 20kmh even at slower that walking speed. I do not do tricks , but slow rides with "extreme" carving/navigation pedestrian area can be very fun and to people not seen an EUC before, right out jaw dropping, and that reaction give me huge pleasure

Although do my best to entirely avoid pedestrians, this is a hugely overlooked point of EUC riding. I find the best places are actually pedestrian friendly areas, while the worst are car friendly areas.

Pedestrian areas feel just right for EUC, everything is close by, you can gawk, take pictures, and not go much above 10 mph.

Car friendly areas feel ridiculously huge, nothing is to our scale, and there's not much fun going fast because it's the same slab of concrete.

• Like 1

How would you guys compare the 16X and 18XL in terms of speed wobbles and general stability? Are speed wobbles directly related to the diameter of the wheel? What about tire width?

I've been assuming that:

• more weight = more wobbles
  • smaller wheel = more wobbles
  • less experience = more wobbles

But I could be totally wrong (wouldn't be the first time). And I'm wondering if pedal placement, firmware and other factors affect stability.

51 minutes ago, photorph said:

Verdict next week. 

It might take a little longer to get used to. But that is part of the huge joy factor too. 

@photorph

You really have articulated how I feel about the KS vs Gotway debate over time, based on the wheels I've ridden.

The 16X does have higher pedals, which make it easier to avoid scraping. It is comparable to the MSX, so this is a clear advantage. 

Please update with your feelings in comparison to the Gotway wheels you enjoy (I'm an mten3 fanboy)

On 10/3/2019 at 7:01 AM, photorph said:

Have ridden 7 EUCs so far.  I'm not a fan of kingsong, terrible software and firmware limitation...speed throttling, and under powered wheels.  I've stuck to Gotway and have been very happy.  My current favorite two I own being the msx 100v and nikola+ that I have no issues with.  I've had kingsongs before and they were not as good as gotways for some of the reasons I mentioned.

I have a KS16x incoming next week.  Why??? I don't know, somewhere deep down I want to like it but I know I won't.  I know it has many issues and problems, so WHY do you all continue to buy it when competition (i.e. Gotway nikola) is the much better wheel?  In a way I bought it to find out WHY is this wheel still selling so much.  I know the trolley is way better, the build quality and looks are way better, but the ride is what I'm wanting to find out more about.  Historically I have not liked the way the 18L or the 16s or the 14s rode vs the gotway equivalents (msx, tesla, mcm5, mten3).

Anything else I need to know about this wheel, fill me in.  Do I need to calibrate this upon arrival?  etc etc.   @Mike Sacristan 

I'll be making tutorial videos for other future buyers as well.  But yea, incoming next week... I'll be doing a Nik+ vs KS16x comparison soon also.

Make sure to update to 1.07. 

Soft mode is king!

You will like this wheel, and the tire once you get on it for a bit. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, Mrd777 said:

On 10/3/2019 at 10:08 AM, photorph said:

Improved the title a bit ;)  But yea really curious to see why it's selling so much.  It is outpacing nikola+ sales and Jason from ewheels is swamped with emails about it post purchase. 

This is my dilemma. When I want to go for a ride, I always seem to choose the Monster V3 lately because it's crazy fun--so freaking fast and roadworthy.

So l decided to sell my 18XL and also there is a guy at work who want's to buy it--another EUC convert hopefully. That free's up some cash for another wheel, but the problem is: why would I ride the NEW wheel when I don't ride the 18XL? In other words, why spend money on a wheel just to ignore it and ride the Monster? The new wheel would have to open up a new set of riding possibilities, or be *different enough* that I would choose to ride it half the time.

So I'm thinking it would be fun (and a good workout) to do some offroad riding, and the Monster is not exactly a climbing wheel. So then I should get one of these wheels with a fat tire and gobs of torque, like the Nikola or 16X.

• Nikola: The shell is going to show a lot of scratches or could crack because of the plastic that was used if I dump it doing offroad.
  • 16X: Seems like a better choice in terms of shell durability, and also there will soon be excellent Roll.nz covers for it.
  • MSX: Nice big tire for soaking up bumps, but smaller pedals and less torque than the other two.

Great! I should get a 16X. But reading this thread is kind of a horror show. People are reporting cut-outs (maybe that guy just overleaned it), they have to send their wheels back because of problems, the firmware situation is "evolving" shall we say. I'm also a heavy 265lb rider, so I'm going to put more stress on the wheel than your average rider. 

... so what to do? ...

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I trust the 16X at my 136 but I sure wouldn't trust it at almost twice that. You can scratch the 16X right off your list.
Nikola+ it is.

:o  Really? Why wouldn't you trust it? Remember, @erk1024 is talking about off-road riding.