My KS16X Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

29 minutes ago, wonderlove said:

Jokes beside, do any app support playing short sound bites through the wheel speakers? Sort of "press button on watch, hear ringing clock sound from wheel" kind of thing?

Wheelog for android got updated for flick (kinda like a shortcut button). It all depends on your creativity I guess. @Seba can maybe explain it better.... Or Google B)

2 hours ago, wonderlove said:

Jokes beside, do any app support playing short sound bites through the wheel speakers? Sort of "press button on watch, hear ringing clock sound from wheel" kind of thing?

With BT audio connected, just use any soundboard app?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wonderlove said:

That is a very nice idea (using music to signal presence), but I'm into black metal, and, well...
Imagine you are walking along the pavement a dark chilly evening. You keep your head down and walk in a brisk pace due to the cold. From far behind you can hear the rising thunder of blast beats catching up, then suddenly a man screams out like he has been kicked in the nethers "THE HEAVENS MUST BURN!" and something flash past you, neon lights rolling like an experience out of "Close encounters of the Third kind", and then the unidentified rolling object zooms into the horizon with the sound of rolling drums and yells of "MORE BLOOD!". It would not go down very well in my neighborhood ;)

The original version of WheelLog will play a car horn sound from KingSong wheels when you press the middle button on the Pebble watch. I don't use the latest version of WheelLog so I don't know if that functionality is still supported.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The original version of WheelLog will play a car horn sound from KingSong wheels when you press the middle button on the Pebble watch. I don't use the latest version of WheelLog so I don't know if that functionality is still supported.

Yes, this functionality is still available in both versions of WheelLog. However in near future, activation of horn from Pebble will not be supported on devices with Android 9 and newer. Euc.world users may use Flic button to activate horn and for other options. Also Wear OS (formerly named Android Wear) support will be added very soon. There will be option to play horn by tapping the watch screen.

Regardless of WL version, to play "car horn" (which is ugly, I don't know why King Song choose car horn over much more friendly and polite bicycle bell sound) wheel must be configured with enabled voice prompts instead of beeps. So much better option is to pair phone with wheel BT speakers. In this case WheelLog can play bicycle bell sound. Even if one doesn't have BT speakers, may use JBL Flip or something similar :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seba said:

Yes, this functionality is still available in both versions of WheelLog. However in near future, activation of horn from Pebble will not be supported on devices with Android 9 and newer. Euc.world users may use Flic button to activate horn and for other options. Also Wear OS (formerly named Android Wear) support will be added very soon. There will be option to play horn by tapping the watch screen.

Regardless of WL version, to play "car horn" (which is ugly, I don't know why King Song choose car horn over much more friendly and polite bicycle bell sound) wheel must be configured with enabled voice prompts instead of beeps. So much better option is to pair phone with wheel BT speakers. In this case WheelLog can play bicycle bell sound. Even if one doesn't have BT speakers, may use JBL Flip or something similar :)

Does this mean that if I have something like a Samsung smartwatch, I could use that instead of a Pebble?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Does this mean that if I have something like a Samsung smartwatch, I could use that instead of a Pebble?

I believe current and newer Samsung smartwatches now use their own OS, called Tizen.  Samsung does not use Wear OS.  I think some of their older ones ran Android Wear, but I honestly don't remember. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. Depending on the watch model, Samsung used Tizen OS or Android Wear OS. Tizen is already supported by both flavours of WheelLog, although the Tizen app is very simple and doesn't support alarms or horn activation. I plan to develop completely new smartwatch app that will work with Tizen, Wear OS and FitBit (and later maybe other popular smartwatches).

Edited by Seba
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Han Vo said:

The speakers on the Nikola are to me a necessity for saftey. We are so quiet when riding it can be dangerous especially during the day when the lights don't do much. Bicycles are also quiet but they arent usually rolling at 30mph. I turn on the music loud so people know I'm there sharing the roads. I can turn my music down with my watch when I'm at the light or when riding on the sidewalk.

I guess it depends on where you live but is it really fair on others to have your music blaring out as you're riding along at 30mph in the bicycle lane? Would it not be better just to learn to ride a little more defensively? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Yes. Depending on the watch model, Samsung used Tizen OS or Android Wear OS. Tizen is already supported by both flavours of WheelLog, although the Tizen app is very simple and doesn't support alarms or horn activation. I plan to develop completely new smartwatch app that will work with Tizen, Wear OS and FitBit (and later maybe other popular smartwatches).

Awesome! I can use my watch for more than reminding me to get up and walk. :D

How does one use the current version of WheelLog with a Gear S3.  Is there a separate WheelLog app that I can download from the Gear store? 

Edited by EvoKnvl

On 10/17/2019 at 12:58 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

I guess it depends on where you live but is it really fair on others to have your music blaring out as you're riding along at 30mph in the bicycle lane? Would it not be better just to learn to ride a little more defensively? 

They are not going to be near you for very long. My saftey and not being run over when sharing takes president over drivers annoyance for a couple of seconds.  Its similar to Harleys  loud pipes. They have loud bikes so drivers notices them. Defensive riding is harder than you think especially when you have no where near the power or speed of a car. Whe your sharing the roads you're literally at the mercy of cars. If they are pissed at you for taking the lane they will ride 6 inches from you especially when theres no bike lane and people dont follow the 4ft distant law for cars being from bikers. 

So yeah a necessity. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

I can confirm the latest samsung galaxy watch works perfectly with the wheel log app

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

I can confirm the latest samsung galaxy watch works perfectly with the wheel log app

Would you be able to post a picture of WheelLog running on the app?

Can you confirm that the WheelLog vibration features work.

And this is the watch?

080619-GWA2FullPage-Featured-AndridiOSCo

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Would you be able to post a picture of WheelLog running on the app?

Can you confirm that the WheelLog vibration features work.

And this is the watch?

080619-GWA2FullPage-Featured-AndridiOSCo

This is the model I have. Pretty much most recent for its size.  The wheel log app on the galaxy is very basic. It shows speed, distant, and power remaining.  Better than no watch, I got mine refurbished on amazon for just 200.

Screenshot_20191018-210911_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

This is the model I have. Pretty much most recent for its size.  The wheel log app on the galaxy is very basic. It shows speed, distant, and power remaining.  Better than no watch, I got mine refurbished on amazon for just 200.

Screenshot_20191018-210911_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks.

I really need the vibrate feature :(

5 minutes ago, Seba said:

No. WheelLog companion app for Tizen is very simple. It doesn't support vibration or alarms in any way :( Just basic readouts.

I plan to create set of consistently looking & working, EUC World companion apps for most popular smartwatches. Wear OS is currently in development, Tizen is planned next.

Seba I'd pay for it. Your the man

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seba said:

No. WheelLog companion app for Tizen is very simple. It doesn't support vibration or alarms in any way :( Just basic readouts.

I plan to create set of consistently looking & working, EUC World companion apps for most popular smartwatches. Wear OS is currently in development, Tizen is planned next.

I thought maybe the native WheelLog phone app could run unaltered on a smart watch. So what @Han Vo is doing is running a WheelLog companion app?

This was probably a couple of years ago, but I saw someone running WheelLog on a smart watch of some type. It didn't look very good, but it functioned.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Han Vo said:

Seba I'd pay for it. Your the man

You don't have to pay for it, as the app will be free. However you can support its development here - https://paypal.me/pools/c/8jcDfoRpFf - i decided to create a PayPal fundraising just for this subproject (Samsung/Tizen companion app for EUC World), as it may be easier for me and for everyone to track its progress. I think its also much more transparent that ordinary donation.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I really need the vibrate feature :(

A few weeks back, I would have been obliged to make comment on this... But now all I need to do is tag in @Hunka Hunka Burning Love...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

And don’t forget the strap-on!  Knee pads!  :whistling:

Tsk tsk @Marty Backe use strap on body armour these days @Hunka Hunka Burning Love

You have missed a lot during your forum vacation 😉

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Marty Backe said:

I use one of those products that you spray on your car tires to make them look like new. It cleans and shines them.

I spray that on my tire and on the shell.

IMG_1184-HDR

I learned years ago that lemon Pledge works wonders on dirt bike plastic, especially on black/dark gray items like cables/hoses, similar to tire treatments...but it isn't greasy/slimy, and it repels dust too.

• Like 2