My KS16X Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

8 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

@Marty Backe what tire do you have, CX or CYT?

Chao Yang (CYT).

I think the 16X rides very nice with this tire. I will say, oddly, that the Nikola "feels" like it has a wider tire - when going through sand traps, etc. I wonder if this is because the CYT tire on the 16X is stiffer and therefore has less surface contact with the ground. Some people have mildly complained about the Nikola tire wearing faster, probably because it's a softer tire.

So perhaps this is another reason that the Nikola seems to ride better than the 16X. Because of the tire.

Yeah, I know I could install the Nikola tire on the 16X, but it's not worth the hassle and not something most people are going to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Can you please take a high-resolution picture of your tire in this position?

Smart-Select-20190927-215442-Samsung-Int

I might be persuaded to for a good reason. Otherwise this all takes time, etc.

• Like 1

I changed my first batch tire CX321 to the Nikola CST-C1488 tire and maybe I would change it again to the CYT H-5167. But I'm not sure if the pattern looks suitable for offroad use compared to the other two? 

Total newbie here with nothing of value to add but I've been riding my 16x for 5 days now, I'm really enjoying it, maybe when I get more miles under my belt, I'll find something to complain about, I would like to get more educated on tires, I'd hate to be missing performance when it's just a tire change away...

47 minutes ago, Q Nguyen said:

Marty, I am planning to buy either Nikola or 16x.  Which one do you recommend?

The NIkola. I've expressed my reasons too many times to re-type them here. Sorry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I know I could install the Nikola tire on the 16X, but it's not worth the hassle and not something most people are going to do.

Well i have the Nikola tire on my 16X, but i will change to the CYT when i get a hand on it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

@Marty Backe, I think buell47 just wants to see which CYT you have on your 16X, since there are a few different ones going around. If your 16X came with a ChaoYang, it should be the H-5167:

A38DB760-D1C7-4FEA-9754-057131979246.jpeg.86c17797c1a99e31c6b9d4f156605864.jpeg

Here you go:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/15039-ks-16x-tire-discussion/

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/15724-nikola-plus-tire-change-what-i-learned/

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/12504-the-tyre-tire-thread/

Yes, mine has the Chao Yang H-5167 tire. I've had zero issues with it.

Just watched your video @Marty Backejust as i thought ,, big smiles 😁😊 

It seemed that you was only trying at the very top of overheat hill ,I know you like to do the test as standard as the wheel comes from factory, but now you've done it you can upgrade to some lean pads👍 

Very good test and very good video , enjoyed it👍

Looking forward to some more hill tests you mentioned 

Thanks for your tests 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Great video as always @Marty Backe.  I made a set of Kuji pad for you to try on your MSX.  See you at LA tours looking sooo  forward to it...

Look forward to meeting you.

I have @EUC GUY's Powerpads for my MSX and they work wonderfully. But I'll be interested in seeing what you came up with.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm going to get a 16X cover from @The Fat Unicyclist with side pads and I'll see how that helps.

I've already ordered one but I'll have to wait as it's custom so not stock item .

The cover is grippy anyway but I'm hoping to put some surfboard pads on it if that doesn't work maybe something underneath but it might knock the light holes out of place , we'll see 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephen said:

I've already ordered one but I'll have to wait as it's custom so not stock item .

The cover is grippy anyway but I'm hoping to put some surfboard pads on it if that doesn't work maybe something underneath but it might knock the light holes out of place , we'll see 👍

He's going to give me a cover that has extra padding for use in the hills :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

He's going to give me a cover that has extra padding for use in the hills :)

Well I mentioned earlier that the EUC bodyguard would be an option for what you were missing in terms of griping the wheel. 

I don't think you need extra padding as the fabric is somewhat spungy already and the top pad on the KS16X give a bit too. But @The Fat Unicyclist probably knows better than I do. I found the fabric just grippy enough, but not too much on my KS18L cover.

I am waiting a bit to get one for the KS16X as I think the LA Games will create some feedback to get a mk II version even better. And to see if someone stock them in EU as the custom fees are a killer for 1unit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

NICE! These are the kinds of trails I usually seek to ride. I can hear you being slightly out of breath. It's an exercise really. You are very lucky to have these all year round. 

How's the 16X on those trails? Would you rather ride that or your 18XL on that passage? 

• Like 2