My KS16X Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

15 hours ago, Blueblade said:

I learned years ago that lemon Pledge works wonders on dirt bike plastic, especially on black/dark gray items like cables/hoses, similar to tire treatments...but it isn't greasy/slimy, and it repels dust too.

Been using pledge for decades! :cheers:

On 10/19/2019 at 5:57 AM, Han Vo said:

.  Its similar to Harleys  loud pipes. They have loud bikes so drivers notices them

Which is nonsense since the noise is transmitted to the back of the motorcycle through the exhausts so you only hear them (too loudly) when they are either already right besides you or in front of you.

They only do it because they like the noise. The "safety" aspect is just an excuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Which is nonsense since the noise is transmitted to the back of the motorcycle through the exhausts so you only hear them (too loudly) when they are either already right besides you or in front of you.

They only do it because they like the noise. The "safety" aspect is just an excuse.

NO, that is nonsens. :rolleyes:

When I am on the road with my Buell, everyone can hear me within a radius of a few hundred meters, no matter in which direction, no matter whether he is sitting in the car and listening to music loudly. If he were deaf, he would at least feel the vibrations and think of an earthquake.

I think you have a different idea what we mean by a loud exhaust. :efee612b4b:

On 10/20/2019 at 3:09 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Really... How can you stand the taste?   :blink1:

So you tested it too? since you refer to the taste.....:blink1::huh:

Edited by Unventor

8 minutes ago, buell47 said:

NO, that is nonsens. :rolleyes:

When I am on the road with my Buell, everyone can hear me within a radius of a few hundred meters, no matter in which direction, no matter whether he is sitting in the car and listening to music loudly. If he were deaf, he would at least feel the vibrations and think of an earthquake.

I think you have a different idea what we mean by a loud exhaust. :efee612b4b:

I've been motorcycling myself for years, and I am in cars being passed by motorcycles. 

You hear them the loudest next to you or when they are in front of you. 

I wonder how much scientific proof there is for that "loud pipes save lives" excuse to blare extreme loud sound from a motorcycle nonsense.

Yeah it's very cool that it literally hurts your ears when one of those things pass you when you are on foot.

The sound was the main reason why I started riding motorcycles again at all. Without sound I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle. I even have sensitive ears after a blast trauma, but a loud exhaust doesn't bother me. Rather, I think it should be forbidden to switch on the sirens of the police, ambulance and fire brigade when people are in the immediate vicinity. As long as this is allowed, I don't see myself as a troublemaker.

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Not all motorcycle accidents are caused by an oncoming vehicle, so a general statement is nonsense.

I have done my own study over a period of 35 years and that comes to a different conclusion. :efee612b4b:

So, we should leave it at that and not abuse Marty´s thread again.

Edited by buell47

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

The sound was the main reason why I started riding motorcycles again at all. Without sound I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

That has nothing to do with safety :) 

I even have sensitive ears after a blast trauma, but a loud exhaust doesn't bother me. Rather, I think it should be forbidden to switch on the sirens of the police, ambulance and fire brigade when people are in the immediate vicinity. As long as this is allowed, I don't see myself as a troublemaker.

They have a reason to make a lot of noise (in all directions), unlike motorcycle exhausts.

I have done my own study over a period of 35 years and that comes to a different conclusion. :efee612b4b:

Ah yes, the scientific approach ...

So, we should leave it at that and not abuse Marty´s thread again.

If anything, an euc making sound to make yourself known is a lot more useful than on a motorcycle, as the speakers are on the sides (not to the back), speeds are a lot lower and people are outside walking (not inside a car with closed windows) so you are not riding away from where you make the sound as fast as on a bike.

For some people it can be more convenient to do that and have people turn to hear "what's that noise" than to constantly have to say "excuse me" to pass pedestrians safely.

Well this is sort of sidetracking @Marty Backe's original thread, don't you agree? Waiting for Marty to post some new exciting adventures with his KS16X....and EUC bodyguard feedback.:popcorn:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been swamped with my 7-days of Southern California riding activities. We had 19-riders on Day 1, riding ~60-miles.

We're having a great time.

Yesterday (Sunday, Day 2) there were four of us riding KS16X's as we climbed 4500-feet to the top of Mt Wilson. Mine, with the bodyguard and its grippy sides, made it easier to push up the steep inclines.

I continue to be impressed with the 16X for trail riding of all types.

So the EUC bodyguard was not that bad a suggestion after all? I know you prefer to keep wheels free of padding, but I think you of all would super ideal customer for it. 

I am in the process of trying to talk myself out of ordering an EUC bodyguard for my KS16X, or at least postpone the order.... but finding it harder and harder to do. So I hope @The Fat Unicyclist doesn't read this. :ph34r:😇

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In this case, I think the bodyguard enhances the looks of my 16X. What do you think?

IMG_1240-HDR

It looks very cool, which is probably hard in the California heat🔥😉

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In this case, I think the bodyguard enhances the looks of my 16X. What do you think?

IMG_1240-HDR

I like it 👍 so you got the sticky iron on pad in place I'm sure you'll be doing a review so i won't ask to much😁 the bodyguard looks good and when you drop it it don't clunk when it hits the ground😊 

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_1240-HDR

Does your stand cause the bodyguard to lift off the bottom where the Kelvar piece is supposed to go over the bottom of the case?

19 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Very cool. Where do you get a bodyguard for the 16X?  I’d love one for my Nik+ too. 

They are from roll.nz.  I believe they only make them for KS wheels at this time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

They are from roll.nz.  I believe they only make them for KS wheels at this time.

Kevin (roll.nz) is receiving a shipment of Gotway wheels so that they can design bodyguards to fit the Tesla, MSX, etc.

So Gotway versions are coming, but not soon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

Does your stand cause the bodyguard to lift off the bottom where the Kelvar piece is supposed to go over the bottom of the case?

Yes, the stand that I have does interfere with the bodyguard. But Duf is making 16X stands which are wider.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Kevin (roll.nz) is receiving a shipment of Gotway wheels so that they can design bodyguards to fit the Tesla, MSX, etc.

So Gotway versions are coming, but not soon.

I was wondering when that was going to happen!

• Like 1