My KS16X Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Gaz Bon said:

Hey Marty 

So how did u go with the tape measure and the pedal height question of 16X and the MSX ;)

Hey, I haven't gotten around to that, but I'm making a note to myself right now. When I get home tonight I'm going to make the measurement.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The MSX pedals are higher.

At the root, where the pedal meets the shell, they are both ~6-1/4 inches from the ground.

The outside edge of the KS16X pedals are ~6-1/2 inches above the ground. The MSX is ~7-inches above the ground.

Is that higher or just more just a higher angel (forgot the word you used some time back for that)?

So if you like the higher angled pedals, it can be modded to that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Is that higher or just more just a higher angel (forgot the word you used some time back for that)?

So if you like the higher angled pedals, it can be modded to that.  

I provided dimensions from the ground. Call it length, height, y-axis, etc.

The larger angle isn't super important to me. But the distance between the outside edge of the pedal to the ground is 1/2-inch (1.3-centimeter) larger on the MSX which means that the MSX is still the king of ground clearance.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 7:05 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

They have SEVEN speakers in the 16X, 3 on each side and the subwoofer behind that grate. How are they not far superior to all other EUC speakers?

I wonder if there is a saying that includes both the words quantity and quality... 😜

In seriousness, as suggested the speakers may well be optimized for playing music at standstill, for which the 16S even had a dedicated button.

And considering the little trend we saw about a month ago about upgrading the ”tinny” sounding Nikola speakers, all this does sound a bit like a Fuji to Granny Smith kind of comparison. I mean that one person’s muffled sounding is another one’s rich sounding. In any case I know it wouldn’t affect my purchase decision in the slightest.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm never doubted your results. Just not what I expected:)

They have SEVEN speakers in the 16X, 3 on each side and the subwoofer behind that grate. How are they not far superior to all other EUC speakers?

Where is the third speaker on each side? I just count 2 on each side below the pedals and the subwoofer at the rear. So I have a 4.1 system. :confused1:

8 hours ago, buell47 said:

Where is the third speaker on each side? I just count 2 on each side below the pedals and the subwoofer at the rear. So I have a 4.1 system. :confused1:

Take a look at this picture from Ecodrift's 16X Tear-down page. See the three speakers?

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Kingsong-KS-16X-8.j

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Take a look at this picture from Ecodrift's 16X Tear-down page. See the three speakers. 

Please get me a hint. :efee612b4b:

1 Speaker

2 Speaker 

3 Buzzer 

4 No Speaker 

Screenshot-20190926-190306-Samsung-Inter

KS-16-X-mods-017.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fryman said:

speaker from what I can tell from the picture, is a passive radiator speaker.

Yes I know, because it's my picture and I glued this passive speaker already. :)

That's why I asked where Speaker 5 + 6 should be? :confused1:

No, in my eyes point 3 on my picture is the system Buzzer, not a tweeter für music.

Konfiguration should be 4x5W + 1x20W (or 10W)

Wait....maybe we should just read the specs. :efefa6edcf:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-king-song-16x-1554wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/

@EcoDrift says it's 7 speakers and they tend to have more technical chops than ewheels: https://ecodrift.ru/2019/06/24/kingsong-ks-16x-disassembling/

All in all, there are 3 speakers per side, that means 6 speakers in total and one big speaker on the rear panel. Interestingly the sound is much better without the side panels. High frequencies are not cut off that much. LED line goes all the way around the wheel

Here's how I interpreted their article. But I don't have a 16X so...

1.jpg

3 is the speaker you see and posted a detail photo of, 4 is the bass speaker behind the rear grate (not visible from the side). The standard white warning beeper doesn't count as "speaker".

Okay, Ecodrift is wrong. 

Number 3 is not a speaker (see my picture) it's a passive membrane for the rear woofer (4). 

On the other side (right) there is nothing at the same place, where the passive membrane (3) is.

See 06:05 - 06:10

• Like 3

Oh, I just see now that we are not in the mega King Song 16X thread at all, but abuse Marty's thread. :efef2e0fff:

Marty, I think you need to clean up your mess. :wub:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Okay, Ecodrift is wrong. 

Number 3 is not a speaker (see my picture) it's a passive membrane for the rear woofer (4). 

On the other side (right) there is nothing at the same place, where the passive membrane (3) is.

See 06:05 - 06:10

Well, this is interesting and enlightening.

Thanks for the elaboration :cheers:

27 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Oh, I just see now that we are not in the mega King Song 16X thread at all, but abuse Marty's thread. :efef2e0fff:

Marty, I think you need to clean up your mess. :wub:

Yeah, how did this all end up in my thread :confused1:

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Had my first 'unlocked' ride, taking it for a ~30-mile spin along the river paths. It is pretty effortless to get up to ~25-mph (26 was my max today) right quick with this wheel. I greatly enjoy riding it and am grateful that I'm no longer hearing "Please decelerate".

IMG_0928

Congrats on the wheel unlock it was keeping you safe till you got used to riding an euc 😁

It is pretty effortless to get to speed it's got torque throughout the speed range but people need to be careful near the top end because it gets up there quick and one little lean or bump forward and your soon hitting max , I'm happy about 26mph but that's not constant i like carving and acceleration up and down  as i don't have to many big trails (none😁)

Get to over heat hill Marty 👍 i think the 16x handles bumps and uneven ground pretty good also

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

grateful that I'm no longer hearing "Please decelerate".

Just in case you didn’t know, you can switch to just beeps on the app. 

Nice to see you enjoying your new toy. I’m sure it has a unique flavor to it. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Had my first 'unlocked' ride, taking it for a ~30-mile spin along the river paths. It is pretty effortless to get up to ~25-mph (26 was my max today) right quick with this wheel. I greatly enjoy riding it and am grateful that I'm no longer hearing "Please decelerate".

IMG_0928

Very cool photo Marty. I love the quality you captured the lights on the wheel, that is a pretty hard thing to do normally.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Just in case you didn’t know, you can switch to just beeps on the app. 

Nice to see you enjoying your new toy. I’m sure it has a unique flavor to it. :)

Oh, I've tried. Apparently you can't on my version of the firmware (1.05) :(

I certainly do like the 16X

• Like 2