New GotWay Nikola 17''

Well I like the pads but either I think I put them too low or I really just need to go with something thinner. My feet are only 2/3 of the way on the petals with the pads on.  I also noticed for me when I get up to higher speeds the machine once the wobble some. I think that’s mostly my fault as a rider getting used to it. The bouncing affect is about 60% gone now. So that’s a plus.  I really like this machine. I think I’m definitely going to get the KS16X also to compare.  You guys have all been so helpful. Thanks. 

I’m trying to add a picture but it won’t let me. 

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Well I like the pads but either I think I put them too low or I really just need to go with something thinner. My feet are only 2/3 of the way on the petals with the pads on.  I also noticed for me when I get up to higher speeds the machine once the wobble some. I think that’s mostly my fault as a rider getting used to it. The bouncing affect is about 60% gone now. So that’s a plus.  I really like this machine. I think I’m definitely going to get the KS16X also to compare.  You guys have all been so helpful. Thanks. 

You've seen my repainted Nikola picture? Where are your pads relative to where I installed mine?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You've seen my repainted Nikola picture? Where are your pads relative to where I installed mine?

It’s funny you mention that because I was using your picture as a way to judge my handiwork. Mine is much lower. I would say roughly an 1.5” above the GW sticker in the middle of the machine. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

It’s funny you mention that because I was using your picture as a way to judge my handiwork. Mine is much lower. I would say roughly an 1.5” above the GW sticker in the middle of the machine. 

I think that may be your problem. If the pads are higher, the shell is thinner there and they press much less on your legs. I can fully see them pushing your feet out by having them so low. If you very slowly but steadily pull on the pads you should be able to remove them and reposition.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I think that may be your problem. If the pads are higher, the shell is thinner there and they press much less on your legs. I can fully see them pushing your feet out by having them so low. If you very slowly but steadily pull on the pads you should be able to remove them and reposition.

I have new 10x10 sheets of that type of 3M tape coming from Amazon too. Just in case I mess up. Lol. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JPWSY6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

For pictures, you need to upload them and then click on them for them to be included in your post. Not very intuitive, but there you are.

With regards to the pads, they're horrible if you ask me and a potential hazard as well. Well, the pads themselves are not horrible, but they're too thick for me and others as well, and like for you they push my feet out too much. Personally, I've cut mine into half the width (or more possibly) and others have other materials instead for side grip.

40 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

So do you guys think a GW MSuper X would be superfluous if one already owns a Nikola? 

Well, the MSX still probably excels for maximum speed and I think it's better for rougher off-road riding. But if you're primarily a road warrior and not into 35-mph riding (or seated riding), than I don't see much point. Unless you're flush with cash and just want to experience the wheel. I mean, I'm still glad I have mine and have zero intention of getting rid of it. I don't get it myself, but some people like to collect wheels :facepalm:

But if you're seeking new experiences, there might be other wheels to pursue first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Nils said:

Well he unfortunately abysmally failed to respond to the needs of the community, when he was needed the most. You OK there @Rehab1? Getting old? Well don't worry, your Swedish friend got your back and after a painstaking search of the Internet I finally found it!

marty-pads.thumb.png.27513426d50aba0c592500b5897b9c10.png

Also Marty, how about got actually getting some sun on those legs? I'm not one to comment on others' appearances, but that's just awkward.

That's hilarious. It's almost perfectly done except for the small detail that my feet are backwards :lol:

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's hilarious. It's almost perfectly done except for the small detail that my feet are backwards :lol:

Nope that is artistic brilliance. A true artist at work. :clap3:maybe a little or a hint of latest?cb=20190126235944

over that new iconic @Marty Backe pyton and holy legs of EUCs

Just a side question for you @Marty Backe.

Do earthquakes make a Nikola wobble or were those outside your ride range today? 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Nope that is artistic brilliance. A true artist at work. :clap3:

Just a side question for you @Marty Backe.

Do earthquakes make a Nikola wobble or were those outside your ride range today? 

That was one of the biggest earthquakes that I've felt in many years, and we were over 100-miles from the center. Southern California is really overdue for a devastating one. I think it's been about 25-years.

28 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

LMAO! :laughbounce2: Great job!  I will gladly pass the baton.  I believe Mr. Backe blocked me from responding;) 

That is so not OK 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

That was one of the biggest earthquakes that I've felt in many years, and we were over 100-miles from the center. Southern California is really overdue for a devastating one. I think it's been about 25-years.

So that is why you need more range so you can out ride the quakes? 

• Like 1

Ok my friend good news. I brought them up as far as they will go without blocking the screw cover holes and it made a huge difference. Now only about 10% of my feet are hanging off the pedals. Tomorrow I will try it without the pads and then decide what I like best over the weekend. 

Also I reduced tire pressure to 25psi and now it handles like a dream!!!!  No more wobbling!!!!! Yes!!!!!  That was concerning me the most because that’s dangerous. It still bounces a little but I’m willing to get used to that. I’m loving this wheel!!!

Told you to get the tire pressure correct, glad you finally made it there!  It definitely changes the feel of the wheel. 

Next advice, get thin grippy pads. 

• Like 1

No more wobbling!!!!! Yes!!!!!  That was concerning me the most because that’s dangerous. It still bounces a little but I’m willing to get used to that. I’m loving this wheel!!!

If it bounces so strongly with full tire pressure, check for a bent rim. This isn't normal at all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Told you to get the tire pressure correct, glad you finally made it there!  It definitely changes the feel of the wheel. 

Next advice, get thin grippy pads. 

They arrive tomorrow my friend. Thank you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Details...Details:wacko:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

So do you guys think a GW MSuper X would be superfluous if one already owns a Nikola? 

Ian from Speedyfeet.uk mentioned in his Nikola review, that if one does for example 70% off-road, the MSX is still what he recommends.

While I have yet to try the Nikola, I spend a lot of time off-roading with my MSX, and I can understand the sentiment. 18 inches is still 18 inches, and for the amount of tall roots and other tough spots, I wouldn’t want to decrease the diameter one bit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Ian from Speedyfeet.uk mentioned in his Nikola review, that if one does for example 70% off-road, the MSX is still what he recommends.

While I have yet to try the Nikola, I spend a lot of time off-roading with my MSX, and I can understand the sentiment. 18 inches is still 18 inches, and for the amount of tall roots and other tough spots, I wouldn’t want to decrease the diameter one bit.

I watched his review. It’s what made me want it. Lol. I wish I could try it.

For now I placed a deposit on the 16X. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

LMAO! :laughbounce2: Great job!  I will gladly pass the baton.

Thanks! But nothing will be passed here, this was just a one-time stand-in tribute to the master (you that is :)). Have to say the wire one was genius

• Like 2