New GotWay Nikola 17''

4 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

what about Nikola Plus that just been posted on Facebook, that actually looks really interesting...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33025048520.html?storeId=3896031&spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_2391736.subject_21

Wow, that is a lot of battery. I guess gotway wasnt ready to give up the performance advantage. 

This makes the choice between the 16x and nicola much harder.  For me, I think it will come down to which one can be opened up with less fatigue on the parts. 

Right now I only commute 4 miles one way, but I'm considering changing jobs and that would require a much larger battery than I currently have (800wh) since it would be about 15miles one way. 

With this much capacity I wouldn't have to charge to 100% all the time, but 30 miles a day and longer journeys on days off would mean a new tire about every 2 months. Disassembly would have to be repeatable, no screws into plastic, no plastic clips, no removing taped on pads or stickers. 

Of course I could just take the car or motorcycle to work but I've become, maybe, possibly,  a little addicted to the wheel :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Yeah. The price point is troubling. At some point best value beats best performer. 

diminishing returns after 1600 wh for some reason lol.. I wonder if these versions were planned or at least thought of at some point and that's why the ludicrous amount of empty space inside the nikola lol

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Personally, I think that it's getting more and more challenging for manufacturers to differentiate. They seem to be reaching somewhat blindly for the magic pill that will make their wheels the "One"; like, Neo in the Matrix. 

Maybe they can get away with more battery. We will see. Everything else over 1600wh is low volume and on the production chopping block

Noooo. Don't even hint at that.

This may be a regional thing. But I can't tell you how many group rides I've been on where 1600wh is not enough. Could be a California thing, where there are endless long trails and roads to explore.

To have something in the Nikola form factor with 2400wh of battery capacity would be awesome. Or as (I think) @meepmeepmayer suggested, moving the Monster control board could allow for a 3200wh wheel :dribble:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Marty, I'm also in Southern California, 100+ miles of bike trails, my KS18AY with1680wh and my ACM2 with 1600wh sometimes still not enough for my long ride, I want to ride more.

My next wheel will be 2400wh 2019 Monster or Nikola plus.

Peter Q

• Like 3

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Even the Plus won't be that big of a jump for you from the ACM2. The Monster takes things to a whole new level :thumbup:

That is so true, my ACM2 only can ride about 40 miles will full battery, me over 200lbs ride weight and 40+km/h.

Just hope and wait if EWheel Jason will sell the new black Monster than I should be able to ride 60+ miles..

Peter Q

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Even the Plus won't be that big of a jump for you from the ACM2. The Monster takes things to a whole new level :thumbup:

@Marty Backe & @Peter Q there is a 84v 2100wh Nikola available now too! Nikola from Green

Edited by fbhb

On 5/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, houseofjob said:

No, they're not being dropped from the same height in isolation like in some math problem: it's the total trajectory.

LOL, someone doesn't like math. I believe even trajectories are more accurately expressed in math than in English, but I could be mistaken :ph34r:

If added wheel weight prevents the wheel from getting airborne, even more so should added rider weight. The lighter the wheel, the easier it should be for the rider to push it (back) to the ground. The problem I can see with a light wheel is that it can easier be blocked/stopped from continuing moving with same speed and like this be unwantedly displaced under the rider on ground impacts.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Noooo. Don't even hint at that.

This may be a regional thing. But I can't tell you how many group rides I've been on where 1600wh is not enough. Could be a California thing, where there are endless long trails and roads to explore.

To have something in the Nikola form factor with 2400wh of battery capacity would be awesome. Or as (I think) @meepmeepmayer suggested, moving the Monster control board could allow for a 3200wh wheel :dribble:

Why did I already know you would love this. I think perhaps its a Marty thing :D. Not sure I would want to be lugging a 3200wh wheel through DC's subway tunnels everyday.

For me It would definitely be an adventure wheel. I can see it on one of my 100mi round trip in a day with no charging rides I keep dreaming about, but never really get to do; nowhere to really do that kind mileage in DC that I would consider accessible. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Shinra said:

Is it safe to buy a fast charger or will it affect the life span of the battery? 

As long as you stay under 0.5C for the charge current and respect the max current for the connector and the wires there is no problem. Depending on the batteries up to 1C could still be ok.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shinra said:

Is it safe to buy a fast charger or will it affect the life span of the battery? 

Depends on your battery size??? Everything with 84Volt and at least 4 parallel packs (1036wh) can be easily charged with 5Amps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Anyone considering the Nikola, do not buy right now! If your order is in, I would cancel or return the order if at all possible.

This is my personal opinion on the GlueGate. Everyone can of course take an educated risk:

• Upvote 2