New GotWay Nikola 17''

7 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

I know I’m taking a chance.   I’ve just decided to take it..

That’s all good then. This is a serious issue, which is why I am trigger happy commenting if I feel someone doesn’t understand taking a chance every time when riding a Nikola.

7 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Only seven have failed to date and mine was one of them...   the percentage of chance that ,y board will burn up again is pretty damn small.

If we go deeper in the percentage calculations, as far as we know 100% of 84V Nikolas have this known issue. Many more boards would surely burn and knees bleed if the issue was not taken care of. Luckily Gotway stood up and did an admirable job in manufacturing a new board that seems to be free for all customers. Not much more they could do, imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That’s all good then. This is a serious issue, which is why I am trigger happy commenting if I feel someone doesn’t understand taking a chance every time when riding a Nikola.

If we go deeper in the percentage calculations, as far as we know 100% of 84V Nikolas have this known issue. Many more boards would surely burn and knees bleed if the issue was not taken care of. Luckily Gotway stood up and did an admirable job in manufacturing a new board that seems to be free for all customers. Not much more they could do, imo.

I agree that this is a serious issue and that everyone should be aware and act accordingly, but I have to point out that as my board didn't suffer from glued MOSFETs it's not 100%.

Edited by Nils
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Wow so 30PSI?  Ok I’ll give it a go. I’ll get back to you. Thanks man. 

You might even possibly go even lower - I know for instance that @Mike Sacristan rides with 20 PSI on his MSX (though slightly lighter than you I believe).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Patton250 said:

You guys have managed to scare the crap out of me about it. I’m too old to face plant.  My Nikola came with a replacement new board and I’m still nervous about it until Marty tests his and he won’t get his until Tuesday. 

You have the new improved board with beefier MOSFETs and from what I understand better thermal isolation as well, on a board manufactured after Gotway has been alerted to this specific manufacturing issue  - I wouldn't worry if I were you (not any more than when riding on an EUC at least).

One is never too old to faceplant! But I wish that was the case.. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nils said:

You have the new improved board with beefier MOSFETs and from what I understand better thermal isolation as well, on a board manufactured after Gotway has been alerted to this specific manufacturing issue  - I wouldn't worry if I were you (not any more than when riding on an EUC at least).

One is never too old to faceplant! But I wish that was the case.. :ph34r:

Lol. :-)

What I mean is a few months ago I was riding a one wheel about 9 mph on grass and hit a very large hole. The board stopped I didn’t. I hit the ground very hard on my right shoulder and cracked some ribs.  I was wearing a helmet so when my head hit the dirt I was OK.   It took me two months to heal completely. I cannot imagine going 25 mph on a EUC and having it die. That’s why I always wear a helmet with face protection.  Of course that won’t help my ribs, collarbone or shoulders if I crash. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

Lol. :-)

What I mean is a few months ago I was riding a one wheel about 9 mph on grass and hit a very large hole. The board stopped I didn’t. I hit the ground very hard on my right shoulder and cracked some ribs.  I was wearing a helmet so when my head hit the dirt I was OK.   It took me two months to heal completely. I cannot imagine going 25 mph on a EUC and having it die. That’s why I always wear a helmet with face protection.  Of course that won’t help my ribs, collarbone or shoulders if I crash. 

Yeah, I hear you.. :wacko:  - it's now been pretty much exactly one year since I did the exact same thing but on the KS16 I had at the time. Collarbone fracture and multiple stitches for the knee, right in time for the family vacation to Spain where I was the driver for a rental. Arm's just about working fine now.. That's just the nature of these things though, you'll never have 100% guarantee that nothing will happen, regardless of brand and model. It's a risk that has to be factored in, but of course mitigated as much as possible using working protection gear (my full face helmet is in shipping as we speak..).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

If you really mean that then you need to stop riding an EUC.  I'm serious.  A face plant is always possible; and they are never predictable (well, afterwards they are, hind sight and all that). Even the most experienced and skilled riders can have something happen that they didn't expect.  It's not just wheel issues, rider skills, and road conditions, there's the actions of other people and animals.  On an almost empty bike path I broad sided a dog that came running out of the bushes stopped directly in my path and NEVER once looking in my direction, despite the King Song whine and dogs supposedly good hearing. (Scared the crap out of him, two knees and the front of the wheel into his ribs)

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love has stopped riding after a seemingly innocuous curb lip tossed him to the ground and damaged a shoulder ( a shoulder he needed for his job). And after months of no drama riding, I got tossed to the ground recently by a minor wet curb, bruising my hip bone.

My point is things happen, suddenly, without explanation and out of the blue.  If you really can't afford a face plant you really can't afford to ride an EUC.  I'm hoping you were expressing your wishes rather than your needs (I hope I don't face plant vs I can't afford a face plant) But we all hope that.

EDIT just read you post about cracked ribs etc.  Yes I see that you have no desire to repeat that any time soon. Still as Nils said, there's always that possibility

Well I didn’t expect a lecture. :-)

What I meant was because of work I can’t deal with massive injuries.  I drive a lot and have to lift things in and out of my car.  I understand there’s risk but there is with everything. I also like the bike for exercise and do that almost daily and there’s very much a risk to that also.  I’m actually only 49 years old so that’s not very old.  What percentage of these machines actually just quit while people are going 20 mph? Is this common? Thanks man. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nils said:

Not to derail the thread (hopefully, and have a look at the "Riding Safety and Protective Gear" sub forum instead for more details or alternatives) but I'm personally using this now which is nice: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Demon_Flex_Force_Pro_Body_Armour_Top_XL_BlackGreen-(135113)). A warning though, if you're like me your torso won't look anything like in the picture, it's more like

image.png.8fd0281b06f8ce218922012a845cc7ba.png

but add some weird turtlesque to the reality as well :)

I basically wear the same safety equipment motorcross riders use. I’m pretty geared up.  I’m always open to more suggestions though. I’d love to have the safest most breathable safety gear there is because it’s very hot in Florida. 

• Like 1

@Patton250 riding an EUC is fun but it has a element of risk to it.

This comes down to your ridestyle and personality/your choices just as if you were riding a bike or mc too.

But if you look at most accidents reported here on forum, they all have an element of lag of understanding the behaviour of EUC mechanics/dynamics and an element of overlook hazards/risk. Of then because people get comfortable and not taking risk as serious. 

I have ridden about 1.5years now or like 2900km. I had 4 accidents where 2 had bad injuries (I will spare you the pictures, bad bruising and a dislocated shoulder). 

So is this dangerous type of wheels, EUC? IMHO no they are not, but you will meet some new challenges and with every learning come some ahha moments.

How you take on these will be a huge deciding factor of risk%. 

Edited by Unventor

Ok so I reduced the tire pressure to 30PSI. It still bounces a little just like before. Mostly between 8mph-15mph.  I only got to ride it for a few miles but I’ll do more testing tomorrow. I also managed to get the pads installed on the sides and I don’t think I like them.  Makes me put my feet on the edge of the pedals.  Hopefully I won’t have a hard time removing that 3M tape because I think I like it better without the pads. Too bad it looks really good with them on.  Using darkness bot I have the max speed set at 31 mph but alarms keep going off at 19 mph. I suspect I need to go into the Gotway app to remove alarms??

Overall I like this machine. It turns (180) better than any wheel I’ve ever ridden.  At times a little too easily and I can see it would be easy to overcompensate and cause a sharp turn and then a fall but that would be my fault and not the wheel because I’m just not use to it. 

I’ve read comments where  people said that this machine had the best acceleration. I don’t notice it being any better than my KS18XL.  Just different. Totally rides different. It feels more like a luxury ride than the KS wheels I own. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

It just took time for my legs and my body to figure out my nikola.  I was probably almost 100 miles in before I was.   Oh! Yeah! This thing is fu(king amazing 🤩.  I hated the side pads as well. Took them off after like ten miles.  Way to bulky and uncomfortable. I’m gonna put on some kind of thin grippy stuff to help accelerate but I’m not sure what yet.   Just keep riding and experimenting with tire pressure and foot leg placement/ posture.  It all factors in.  I’m confident you’ll have your aha moment and realize how perfect this wheel is. Just give it time...    also on the whole wrecking thing. Most of my wrecks were due to inferior wheels and cutting out on the InMotion V8.  Now that I have real wheels.   The nikola mainly.  I don’t have to worry about that. Mainly my worries are other people,Nike’s,kids ,cars,dogs , rabbits. Lol.  And just simple potholes and whatnot.  You can’t eliminate all the risks.  Even if you could that’d be boring.  But just be as safe as possible and you’ll be fine.  Wear wrist guards and gloves and knee protection, And a full face helmet , and I wear a mesh motorcycle jacket with padded elbows and shoulders.  I wear the bilt blaze 2 jacket. It works great in hot weather.   So I feel pretty safe as long as I tuck and roll. Lol.   Always stay vigilant and have your situational awareness at 100% always.    Stay safe and glide on !

Just finished watching CycleGear review of this jacket.

That's a really nice mesh jacket! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Ok so I reduced the tire pressure to 30PSI. It still bounces a little just like before. Mostly between 8mph-15mph.  I only got to ride it for a few miles but I’ll do more testing tomorrow. I also managed to get the pads installed on the sides and I don’t think I like them.  Makes me put my feet on the edge of the pedals.  Hopefully I won’t have a hard time removing that 3M tape because I think I like it better without the pads. Too bad it looks really good with them on.  Using darkness bot I have the max speed set at 31 mph but alarms keep going off at 19 mph. I suspect I need to go into the Gotway app to remove alarms??

Overall I like this machine. It turns (180) better than any wheel I’ve ever ridden.  At times a little too easily and I can see it would be easy to overcompensate and cause a sharp turn and then a fall but that would be my fault and not the wheel because I’m just not use to it. 

I’ve read comments where  people said that this machine had the best acceleration. I don’t notice it being any better than my KS18XL.  Just different. Totally rides different. It feels more like a luxury ride than the KS wheels I own. 

Hey, can you do me a favor. Yours is from EWheels where they installed the new control board, right?

Can you hear the fan running on yours? More importantly, what is the wheel temperature after you've been riding if for a bit? Is it hovering in the low 40-degrees Celsius or closer to 60?

Thanks. I'm try to diagnose a problem with my new control board.

Regarding the pads, you may want to give it a little more time. Some wheels take an adjustment period. If you're not used to wide wheels, it may take you a little while (~week) to adjust.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

It just took time for my legs and my body to figure out my nikola.  I was probably almost 100 miles in before I was.   Oh! Yeah! This thing is fu(king amazing 🤩.  I hated the side pads as well. Took them off after like ten miles.  Way to bulky and uncomfortable. I’m gonna put on some kind of thin grippy stuff to help accelerate but I’m not sure what yet.   Just keep riding and experimenting with tire pressure and foot leg placement/ posture.  It all factors in.  I’m confident you’ll have your aha moment and realize how perfect this wheel is. Just give it time...    also on the whole wrecking thing. Most of my wrecks were due to inferior wheels and cutting out on the InMotion V8.  Now that I have real wheels.   The nikola mainly.  I don’t have to worry about that. Mainly my worries are other people,Nike’s,kids ,cars,dogs , rabbits. Lol.  And just simple potholes and whatnot.  You can’t eliminate all the risks.  Even if you could that’d be boring.  But just be as safe as possible and you’ll be fine.  Wear wrist guards and gloves and knee protection, And a full face helmet , and I wear a mesh motorcycle jacket with padded elbows and shoulders.  I wear the bilt blaze 2 jacket. It works great in hot weather.   So I feel pretty safe as long as I tuck and roll. Lol.   Always stay vigilant and have your situational awareness at 100% always.    Stay safe and glide on !

slap a couple of these on.. maybe not the prettiest thing in the world, but hey what custom padding is lol.. will add zero bulk but at the same time will grip like a sob when you want to https://www.amazon.com/Hulless-Anti-Slip-Dashboard-Electronic-Keychains/dp/B073F2NG37/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BYNAW25RXRNBWBBV1HHF

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey, can you do me a favor. Yours is from EWheels where they installed the new control board, right?

Can you hear the fan running on yours? More importantly, what is the wheel temperature after you've been riding if for a bit? Is it hovering in the low 40-degrees Celsius or closer to 60?

Thanks. I'm try to diagnose a problem with my new control board.

Regarding the pads, you may want to give it a little more time. Some wheels take an adjustment period. If you're not used to wide wheels, it may take you a little while (~week) to adjust.

Yes this came from Jason at ewheels and they installed a brand new board before they sent it.  I’ll absolutely check out the temperature today and get back to you. 

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I tried the stock side pads for a week+ and while I got used to riding with them, it wasn’t until I replaced them with the TechSpec Xline motorcycle tank pad that the wheel finally felt perfect.  It has the low profile you want and it’s very grippy so you’ll be able to accelerate and brake much better.  It’s also made to hold up better to the wear it’s going to take from knee guards and such. 

I think that I’ve posted this on every Nikola thread so my apologies if I sound like a broken record but it’s truly transformational for this wheel. 

Sweet. Link?

1 hour ago, Dzlchef said:

I tried the stock side pads for a week+ and while I got used to riding with them, it wasn’t until I replaced them with the TechSpec Xline motorcycle tank pad that the wheel finally felt perfect.  It has the low profile you want and it’s very grippy so you’ll be able to accelerate and brake much better.  It’s also made to hold up better to the wear it’s going to take from knee guards and such. 

I think that I’ve posted this on every Nikola thread so my apologies if I sound like a broken record but it’s truly transformational for this wheel. 

It must be that I'm so use to the super wide Gotway wheels, the Nikola width with the pads is a non-issue. Maybe everyone needs to ride a Monster first and then they'll have no complaints about the Nikola and similar wheels :D