THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

I was goofing around today with a dji Osmo gimballed camera to see if it eliminated some of the bumps in the video, did pretty well - I went through some curb dips and you can’t even tell.

Next time I try a video I’ll put it on a selfie stick in “Underslung” mode so I can get the wheel in the vid.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SAdpSMaKI79LmrvPfcoM25_OjhqVqS91

27 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I totally agree! It would be interesting to find out how many members have changed their philosophy on how fast they ride and the safety gear they wear following the rash of accidents. 

Your accident (as well as a spill I had a few days ago) has gone a long way to change my perspective on safety.  I am consciously trying to go a few MPH slower than I otherwise would when at cruising speed.  I am also trying to be more attentive to the conditions of the road.  I am committed to spending $500 on upgrading my safety gear in the coming months.  From now on, if someone new is here and inquiring about EUCs, I will stress safety gear before I say anything about EUCs. 

I would have said I was particularly sensitive to safety issues when I started, and yet I sit here six months later and am surprised at how much more important safety is to me now.  

It's a harsh learning curve if you're not used to city driving with a bicycle to have some sort of background for the challenges of urban environments.  What caught me most recently was trying to do an emergency maneuver to avoid a pothole too late.  I'd have been better to have just rode through it.  

I wanted to avoid going beyond wrist guards and a helmet for safety gear.  Now I'm going to get some knee and elbow protection and upgrade the helmet to full-faced.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I was goofing around today with a dji Osmo gimballed camera to see if it eliminated some of the bumps in the video, did pretty well - I went through some curb dips and you can’t even tell.

Next time I try a video I’ll put it on a selfie stick in “Underslung” mode so I can get the wheel in the vid.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SAdpSMaKI79LmrvPfcoM25_OjhqVqS91

nice, like glass. i’ll probably have to get one of those too for my drive scenes. like casey neistat, he produces some great videos, using prosumer stuff. 

in 2000 i bought a nikon 950 digital camera(for $900 online) that took digital photos at the amazing 2.1 megapixel. i was the first person on the planet to submit scip packages(site candidate information packages) digitally. two years later, all the wireless companies, att, sprint, verizon etc., wouldn’t accept them any other way. it wasn’t easy because i had to take their bloated software and trim it down to pump out an email on dsl back then. outlook use to break apart emails and reassemble them for u back then if ur old enough to remember.

Edited by novazeus

Thanks for sharing. When you have a major accident and are reminded daily by the constant pain, it does not take long to be cognitively aware that safety gear is extremely important. I myself cannot take the chance anymore.

I hope others that currently don’t wear gear will soon realize that we are riding on experimental equipment with no built in redundancies, manufactured with cheap components and labor. We are the guinea pigs for these companies who unfortunately are not held liable for any injury and or death due to their country’s lack of legal standards. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Your accident (as well as a spill I had a few days ago) has gone a long way to change my perspective on safety.  I am consciously trying to go a few MPH slower than I otherwise would when at cruising speed.  I am also trying to be more attentive to the conditions of the road.  I am committed to spending $500 on upgrading my safety gear in the coming months.  From now on, if someone new is here and inquiring about EUCs, I will stress safety gear before I say anything about EUCs. 

I would have said I was particularly sensitive to safety issues when I started, and yet I sit here six months later and am surprised at how much more important safety is to me now.  

It's a harsh learning curve if you're not used to city driving with a bicycle to have some sort of background for the challenges of urban environments.  What caught me most recently was trying to do an emergency maneuver to avoid a pothole too late.  I'd have been better to have just rode through it.  

I wanted to avoid going beyond wrist guards and a helmet for safety gear.  Now I'm going to get some knee and elbow protection and upgrade the helmet to full-faced.    

not riding on a closed track so to speak, if u think through it, has to be harrowing. i think of euc being worse than a motorcycle and i didn’t sightsee or fixate on objects riding a motorcycle. it was getting from point “a” to point “b” alive. no time to take in the sights. only when i stopped. i can get disjointed in my driveway if a cow makes a funny sound and i swivel my head to look, and by now, i know every inch of my pavement. i’m looking at my pavement, listening to the wheel, trying to figure what the pedals are telling me and how that pavement is gonna feel coming off at whatever speed i’m riding. if one of us hits a pedestrian doing 25 mph, it will probably be newsworthy. all these florida multiuse paths, i’m sure walking, jogging and bicycles are legal. maybe even inline skates and skateboards but ebikes, eucs, electric skateboards, idk but someday i gotta ask. sure the answer will be no. sad.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:24 PM, trya said:

i know the point of ur video but here at the ranch i’ve been pondering keeping my wheels in a plugged in refrigerator on a timer next to my road. i have a couple of old refrigerators, and a frost free turned down low, on a timer for a few minutes ntermittingly during the day, maybe with damp rid in there. idk. i suppose timers can handle the amp draw when the cmpressor kicks on. li-ons like cool supposedly, just gotta be sure humidity isn’t to high. won’t fit in the crisper drawer.

• Like 1

Professionally made video of a  group of 25 riders from Singapore riding in Malaysia.   At the end all the riders are named, amazing how many American names they have there.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Have you seen the latest video of @Tishawn Fahie? Pretty cools stuff, he's really perfected the art of making these PEV videos. 

ya, agreed, @Tishawn Fahie has talent. i’d like to know what video editing software he’s using. waiting for the fios guy now so i’ll have some muscle shortly. over air data is definitely ltd.

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i obviously need help. hahahaha!

Your video making skills are improving :facepalm:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Your video making skills are improving :facepalm:

i know, right! i have fios back in the old house, yippee. forgot one asus password but the 5g part is open. i hate getting all immersed in technology and then forget it all and have to start over. groan. 

well, good news, bad news. cargo containers aren’t penetrable by wifi, rj45 cable is cheap, so tobacco road me is gonna string cable and put my modem in the container which means nobody can jump on even if the network is open.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

i obviously need help. hahahaha!

The video went blank near the end but I could hear you bump in to the metal gate again.  Remembered that first video of your driveway, made the same sound.  Those phones are good video recorders.

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The video went blank near the end but I could hear you bump in to the metal gate again.  Remembered that first video of your driveway, made the same sound.  Those phones are good video recorders.

yeah stuck it in my pocket, thought it was off. i hate my phones.

i talk to myself a lot. good thing i have Bob. makes me appear less crazy.

Edited by novazeus

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah stuck it in my pocket, thought it was off. i hate my phones.

Well, the video is pretty sharp, and it shows up full screen now.  It was hard to tell, but it looked like the phone that was making the video was held vertically in portrait mode, and not horizontally in landscape.  On my phone, if I hold it vertical the video ends up with two black bars on the sides and only the middle third is video.

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Well, the video is pretty sharp, and it shows up full screen now.  It was hard to tell, but it looked like the phone that was making the video was held vertically in portrait mode, and not horizontally in landscape.  On my phone, if I hold it vertical the video ends up with two black bars on the sides and only the middle third is video.

i was goofing “high speed run” and i’m hitting 10mph on my 18s. not wearing any protective gear, like to just go check the mail or lock the main gate, those are my uses for these wheels. donning protective gear for a half mile run ain’t gonna get it. so i just figure if a wheel is gonna try and kill me, keep the speed lowso i can tumble better. obviously, i have no idea, if and when a faceplant scenario happens, don’t wanna know, but hopefully, on my road, flat as it is, not straining anything on the wheel, it will never happen. in the pasture, yes. i’m sure i could burn up any wheel out there. it is rough. i do plenty of walking at the ranch. saving a couple of miles, and not having to burn gas in the polaris or jeep or truck is nice. and someday, Bob is gonna get the hang of running with me without jerking me off the wheel. he’s so frigging fast tho. he lopes at 20 mph, top speed is like 35 mph for him. 

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The self balancing electronics shutdown of the Ninebot One E+ and the Gotway Monster are very different in a low speed riderless scenario, such as a run off following loss of rider control.

This 1st video has 6 parts:
1- Ninebot at rest falling over
2- Ninebot low speed shutoff #1
3- Ninebot low speed shutoff #2
4- Monster at rest falling over
5- Monster low speed shutoff #1
6- Monster low speed shutoff #2

My Monster recently gave my calf leg muscle a severe whack in a rider's stumble off of a low speed 90 degree turn. The video was made to illustrate the difference between my two EUCs electronics shutdown performance in a riderless EUC fall over scenario.

(Ninebot One E+ & Gotway Monster)

a slow motion clip of the Gotway Monster shutting down in a slow speed rider less scenario

Fantastic Bob. This is the first worthwhile use of an EUC and snow that I've seen. Can demonstrate things like this without scratching up the wheel.

Yeah, we all know that Gotway really sucks in this regards. On a positive note, looks like since the introduction of the Tesla, Gotway wheels now shut down rapidly.

• Like 2