THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Fortunately, the battery connectors don't have any reports of coming apart, but this is a good point.  While doing all of these mods, it might be a good idea to move that wire off the Heat Sync, just for EXTRA precaution.  I don't remember where mine is, now that I think of it, but again, since there are no reports of this one coming apart, I'll wait till I'm in there next time, then I'll move it if needed.

EDIT:  Just found my photos of before I switched my Shells to make sure all the wires were routed correctly and it appears I'm good

Good suggestion. Not worried, but next time I open the wheel I'll move it.

4 hours ago, Clovis said:

@jrkline Ouch! Not a graceful fall.  That looked like it hurt a little.  Since you all had smiles on your faces, I'm assuming you're alright.

@abinder3 you're riding the KS18?  I see no seat in the video.  I think I would've used the seat during a long ride.

@Marty Backe Thanks for sharing the video.  If I ever make it to Southern California, I'll have to join you on your long rides.  Looks extremely fun!

Yes, I was riding a KS18.  The seat isn't very comfortable and a lot of the riding was very rough and off-road. A seat wouldn't of been wise to use. 

Allen

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

keeps messing with my video's, so this is payback time :D Maybe karma?  Crash at ~35 seconds  :popcorn:

@abinder3 @captainwells and @Ando Melkonyan had to bear witness - sorry guys :facepalm:

You led him into a trap, didn't you?:P  He handled it well, though, almost ran it out.  I would have tumbled for sure.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 2

Ian (from Speedyfeet) and Jonathon go on their 100 mile test ride.  Unfortunately Jonathon, riding his modified Msuper, does a faceplant ~ 20:05 into the video.  It's very scary but the two of them laugh it off.  I love watching Ian's videos but to me, Gotway = Faceplant.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Clovis said:

Unfortunately Jonathon, riding his modified Msuper, does a faceplant ~ 20:05 into the video.  to me, Gotway = Faceplant.

Is it possible the very low battery and the very steep hill caused the faceplant? To me it seems a faceplant could occur in this situation regardless of EUC brand.

Edited by MaxLinux

14 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

the solder melts on those connectors and the motor wires separate, causing the cut out. 

I noticed Ian bought some kind of terminal block at a nearby store, so maybe that is what happened to Jonathon's wheel.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

I noticed Ian bought some kind of terminal block at a nearby store, so maybe that is what happened to Jonathon's wheel.

That's exactly what happened. Ian shows how the connector came apart and his fix is the terminal block.

Jonathon is a big guy, they had their backpacks and all the gear plus the weight of the extra batteries - lots of extra load for the wheel.  Man, am I glad my riding weight is 170 pounds!

Maybe Gotway can fix all of their problems by just lowering the maximum supported rider weight ;)

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Just a short video from our ride near Griffith Park, March 4, 2017. 

Allen

Which wheel was beeping so much, hard to tell but doesn't look too fast?  I wish my ninebot would beep, but have gotten to 15mph for a second or two and never got beeps, except it did when I had the speed limiter on.  I wish ninebot had selectable speed limiter all the way up to top speed, like Gotway.  Mine only goes up to > 6.2 mph, pretty much useless if you would like to set it at 10 or 12 mph so you don't have to use the app speedometer to know how fast you are going.  By now, having used the speedometer many times i have a pretty good idea,  but the beeping is kind of cool.  I feel shortchanged, but don't feel comfortable riding at more than 12 mph.

• Upvote 3

On 2017-03-05 at 7:48 AM, LuckySXM said:

Just had feedback from my seller after I sent him pics of my naked connectors. All is fine, because, as he told me, I have the Monster from a batch with welded AND crimped cable. See picture bellow. If just welded, might break and cutout engine. He also said ALL msuper3 have bad connectors (at least in France, don't know if other countries have the same problem). You have to cut and remove the black plastic connector cover and check to be sure, without removing he could not be sure of the type of connectors.

IMG_20170304_134416.jpg

That's good to see.  It does appear that those connectors are soldered and crimped.  Maybe sliding on a heatshrink tube for good measure couldn't hurt just for added insurance.  They seem to do the heatshrink tubing for the battery conectors judging from Marty's video.  @Marty Backe - good job on taking the initiative and securing things up!

I find it interesting that they have thermal insulation tubing on those motor wires which seems to indicate that they must get pretty hot.  Good to see things moving in a positive direction!

@steve454 - the Ninebot does beep!  You just need to push things a little faster.  I do find it tilts back and beeps a warning at you if you over do things. Sigh... haven't ridden for months now... 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, SuperSport said:

There is a known issue with the motor connectors on the 1600Wh V3. GotWay is addressing it, along with people doing their own. I just helped a friend change his plugs to hopefully prevent this from happening.  

The issue affects specific 1600 V3 wheels made in a specific date range. I don't remember what that range is, but if you have the 1600Wh V3, you should ask your vendor to take a look and verify your connectors are correct. 

The problem usually happens when climbing a hill for a length of time and the solder melts on those connectors and the motor wires separate, causing the cut out. 

Btw: It is not special the 1600wh Version...

It started with the normal V3....a chinese User reported here first about a lot of failures in his rider group.

Then later the V3s+ where also reported...even ACM and Monsters can have the problem, according to the France Forum Members...

Orig. Thread from beginn of December:

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Our largest Southern California meetup yet. Seven of us enjoyed ~30 miles of riding around the mountains above Los Angeles (Griffith Park).

As pictured below, from left to right: @Ando Melkonyan @captainwells @swvision @jrkline @nbxpq3 @abinder3 @Marty Backe

If instead you want to watch a condensed version of the ride, here you go

Nice !!!!

Allen

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I noticed that too.  Pretty funny!  :lol:

@jrkline and I have been riding together for awhile now. He has seen me face-plant much worse that what you saw - more then once :(  I think my worse wipe-out was in the Griffith Park area (a different section from what you rode) where I was leading Jeff and took a path "offramp" at 15+ mph when I hid a speed bump that I totally forgot about. The wheel stopped and I did a superman to the ground. He's had his chuckles :)  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Our largest Southern California meetup yet. Seven of us enjoyed ~30 miles of riding around the mountains above Los Angeles (Griffith Park).

As pictured below, from left to right: @Ando Melkonyan @captainwells

Awesome group ride! You are the Pied Piper of Hamelin by taking the lead and everyone following!:)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@jrkline and I have been riding together for awhile now. He has seen me face-plant much worse that what you saw - more then once :(  I think my worse wipe-out was in the Griffith Park area (a different section from what you rode) where I was leading Jeff and took a path "offramp" at 15+ mph when I hid a speed bump that I totally forgot about. The wheel stopped and I did a superman to the ground. He's had his chuckles :)  

When I first saw the "Karma" video,I was tempted to post the "Marty Backe Blues",an assorted collection of video clips I've collected since riding with @Marty Backethat reveals numerous occasions of less than graceful situations involving @Marty Backe and his various wheels,(it's amazing how much video one collects) but then I realized I was never a fan of Pandora and the karma that ensues.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jrkline said:

When I first saw the "Karma" video,I was tempted to post the "Marty Backe Blues",an assorted collection of video clips I've collected since riding with @Marty Backethat reveals numerous occasions of less than graceful situations involving @Marty Backe and his various wheels,(it's amazing how much video one collects) but then I realized I was never a fan of Pandora and the karma that ensues.

Oh oh, I think I've just been indirectly put on notice :cry2:

• Upvote 1