11 hours ago, Lukasz said:

As of today WheelLog and Pebble works well on  Android 8.0 , so it will take a while until it gets obsolete...  

Afaik side-loading Pebble apps is simple on the android phone -  I just tap the  *.pwb file (in this case wheellog_release_1_4.pbw) and select open with pebble app....

All fine and great that it works, but I'm on @Ilya Shkolnik's side with this one.

Pebble is officially dead. Face it. You can't buy new ones anymore, so in due time this device will become completely obsolete. If you want to make something that's easy to use, you need to support stuff that can be installed easily, and be bought new from a lot of shops. Not something that you can only get from second hand sites.

It's not a matter of supporting it here and now, that can be done. The potential user base will just shrink, and the more stuff you add to your app, the more support you have to carry on your back when adding new features or supporting new devices in the future.

Since I guess there is a lot on the road map for this app, and time is limited, I'd also rather spend time developing stuff that is future proof, than develop stuff that's already obsolete today.

The only smart watch worth supporting right now on that platform is the Apple Watch, with all its shortcomings, but that's how it is.

Maybe someone should build a custom PEV dash that can be worn on the wrist, but tbh I have no idea on how complicated that would be. I think the biggest challenge would be the form factor and price.

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2018 at 12:19 PM, ir_fuel said:

All fine and great that it works, but I'm on @Ilya Shkolnik's side with this one.

It is very easy to be on the passive side - just sit and do nothing.  It is kind of against clever approach to use well designed things for other uses for which they perfectly fit.

Pebble is officially dead. Face it. 

Do we really have to care that much if it is dead or not? First generation Ford Mustangs are DEAD for many years, but the cars are still on the road admired by many.  Same with thousands of other products including AMIGA, ZX Spectrum and so on...

There are several thousand pieces of Pebble watches available for 50 USD or less. What is the well advanced unicycles user group for now - few thousands counting worldwide?  It is enough Pebbles for them for years.

You can't buy new ones anymore, so in due time this device will become completely obsolete.

For now I have 3 pcs, all of them purchased for pennies.  I do not need new ones - used ones works fine. None of them broke so far.

I use Pebble for over a year now with WheelLog - it is perfect as the display - 30 m waterproof, perfectly visible display, easy to use buttons (no need for touch screen in such use!!), vibration 

If you want to make something that's easy to use, you need to support stuff that can be installed easily, and be bought new from a lot of shops. Not something that you can only get from second hand sites.

It is very easy to use already NOW.  Since I started to use it with Android I had ZERO needs for support. (except now - ether to find someone to add Pebble to DarknessBot or Ninebot communication to WheelLog).  Installation is easy already.  When configured - needs NO support.  If there will be comparable NEW device with at least the same functionality - I will consider it. 

It's not a matter of supporting it here and now, that can be done. The potential user base will just shrink, 

Maybe it will grow if users learn how handy and easy to use it is. 

and the more stuff you add to your app, the more support you have to carry on your back when adding new features or supporting new devices in the future.

That is the KEY issue - crazy approach of adding "stuff" which most of it is bells and whistles - not really needed, while CORE functionality is missing.  Show me please how You use DarknessBot now- do You have Your iphone mounted somewhere on You that You can see speed/power/temperature/battery? You keep it in your hand when riding?  (so easy to drop, and for sure it will be broken when You fall (doubling the cost of wheel by cost of the phone...) .  Can You see the Iphone screen well in the full sun? or You keep it in the pocket and have to take out each time You want to SEE anything???

Since I guess there is a lot on the road map for this app, and time is limited, I'd also rather spend time developing stuff that is future proof, than develop stuff that's already obsolete today.

Same answer as above basically -  what kind of STUFF is more important for daily use than basics -  speed/power/temperature/battery + time?  Will adding the cancellation of the speed limits for model X or Y make it FUTURE PROOF??  really?

The only smart watch worth supporting right now on that platform is the Apple Watch, with all its shortcomings, but that's how it is.

Do You have the link to YT movie showing how Apple Watch works now with DarknessBot in full sunlight for speed/power/temperature/battery + time ?  I am interested to see it in action. 

Maybe someone should build a custom PEV dash that can be worn on the wrist, but tbh I have no idea on how complicated that would be. I think the biggest challenge would be the form factor and price.

It has been build already. It is called PEBBLE.  No need to fight with HW challenges for now.  Also the price of it is a BARGIN ( 1/10 of the Apple Watch???) 

Edited by Lukasz
  • Upvote 2

- Yes, I am biased towards Android - I rather stay free from STIFF GUIDELINES  of Apple, however I understand millions of Apple users also.  ?

- Thank You in advance for the movie - I want to see how it compares to Pebble (see my movie earlier in this thread)

- as mentioned - as the author of DarknessBot @Ilya Shkolnik and current developer of WheelLog @palachzzz are from Russia and are in direct contact - maybe communication support for Ninebot can be added to WheelLog - this would be best solution (as pool of users of Ninebot will grow again with Z model... )   In such case no need to fight with Apple Rules/environment... 

11 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

- Yes, I am biased towards Android - I rather stay free from STIFF GUIDELINES  of Apple, however I understand millions of Apple users also.  ?

- Thank You in advance for the movie - I want to see how it compares to Pebble (see my movie earlier in this thread)

- as mentioned - as the author of DarknessBot @Ilya Shkolnik and current developer of WheelLog @palachzzz are from Russia and are in direct contact - maybe communication support for Ninebot can be added to WheelLog - this would be best solution (as pool of users of Ninebot will grow again with Z model... )   In such case no need to fight with Apple Rules/environment...   (it would save me a lot of money, as I will not need to purchase extra Iphone working as the relay only for apple watch, used only as the unicycle display. I am happy user of the SM-V700 Samsung smartwatch, (yes - 4 years old!)  as it is still probably the only watch on the market with very good camera - which I use a lot. 

BTW -  this is slightly off topic, but maybe you remember the concept of PAN  (Personal Area Network)....  Probably I have to publish next YT movie about it... Currently I have 5 devices working well at the same time without interference - all on BT!   

1. Phone (Samsung Note 8 ) still produced for next 2 months...  ?
  2. SM-V700 Smartwatch with custom rom  - not produced any more...
  3. SONY MW-1 headset (best noise cancellation around, radio, display, microSD card - of course not in production any more)
  4. Pebble Time (not in production any more - perfect display for KingSong...
  5. Kingsong KS16S  (one year of use...  4800 km already - all OK)

Edited by Lukasz

For the Apple Watch  users - please have closer look on the movie below and ability to read the screen in the sunlight  - how it compares to the apple watch screen visibility? also - looking forward for the comparison of the Pebble screen visibility vs Apple Watch - in practical use as unicycle display (WheelLog working with Pebble vs DarknessBot + Apple Watch.. 

Edited by Lukasz

Thank You! -  we see something now...

- How long the battery lasts with all the time screen on and full brightness? 

- How much is second generation I-watch now?

Interface can be improved A LOT - at least to the Pebble standard (in fact can be made better as Pebble screen is low resolution and smaller) 

Edited by Lukasz

Question is how do You use DarknessBot in daily use? I just do not see the idea of keeping the phone somewhere on your hand as practical approach - smaller display does the purpose much better.  Analytics, settings - can be done on the phone, (even better in the proprietary app for specific wheel brand) but as the display phone is simply not practical. Can DarknessBot users share their comments?  how You see it vs  the movie with Pebble which I have posted on this thread? 

I use Pebble since at least 5000 km, with my total experience or around 15 000 km on the various unicycles.  I can sense speed well, but in some situations - for example if You ride with someone (like daughter) for example it make sense to SEE the speed/battery easy and instantaneously. 

See post with the movie from page 22 of this thread to compare Pebble use vs phone use..

https://youtu.be/YJtpDY1CSls

Edited by Lukasz

On 6/14/2018 at 1:02 AM, Lukasz said:

It is very easy to be on the passive side - just sit and do nothing.  It is kind of against clever approach to use well designed things for other uses for which they perfectly fit.

Like you are doing right now?

Do we really have to care that much if it is dead or not? First generation Ford Mustangs are DEAD for many years, but the cars are still on the road admired by many.  Same with thousands of other products including AMIGA, ZX Spectrum and so on...

What a load of nonsense. Comparing cheap consumer electronics to classic cars.

There are several thousand pieces of Pebble watches available for 50 USD or less. What is the well advanced unicycles user group for now - few thousands counting worldwide?  It is enough Pebbles for them for years.

For now I have 3 pcs, all of them purchased for pennies.  I do not need new ones - used ones works fine. None of them broke so far.

I use Pebble for over a year now with WheelLog - it is perfect as the display - 30 m waterproof, perfectly visible display, easy to use buttons (no need for touch screen in such use!!), vibration 

I'm not saying it's not good for this purpose. It clearly is VERY good for this purpose. And if Pebble was still in business and producing watches it would make sense. But they aren't. It's like coming here and begging Ilya to support the iPhone 4 because there are still so many on sale second hand and cheap (if the iPhone 4 were to have Bluetooth LE). Plenty of them out there for all euc users to get one.

It is very easy to use already NOW.  Since I started to use it with Android I had ZERO needs for support. (except now - ether to find someone to add Pebble to DarknessBot or Ninebot communication to WheelLog).  Installation is easy already.  When configured - needs NO support.  If there will be comparable NEW device with at least the same functionality - I will consider it. 

You don't understand the concept of "support". It's not about helping users. It's about getting the outdated device to work on iOS12 or 13 or .... when that comes out, and then having to live with the backlash of all your Pebble Watch users when all of the sudden you remove support for it because the outdated Pebble SDK does no longer work with that OS version. That's the point.

Maybe it will grow if users learn how handy and easy to use it is. 

It won't grow as it is a dying product. There will be less and less Pebble watches as time goes on.

That is the KEY issue - crazy approach of adding "stuff" which most of it is bells and whistles - not really needed, while CORE functionality is missing.  Show me please how You use DarknessBot now- do You have Your iphone mounted somewhere on You that You can see speed/power/temperature/battery? You keep it in your hand when riding?  (so easy to drop, and for sure it will be broken when You fall (doubling the cost of wheel by cost of the phone...) .  Can You see the Iphone screen well in the full sun? or You keep it in the pocket and have to take out each time You want to SEE anything???

Same answer as above basically -  what kind of STUFF is more important for daily use than basics -  speed/power/temperature/battery + time?  Will adding the cancellation of the speed limits for model X or Y make it FUTURE PROOF??  really?

What is the point of the app? Being able to manage your device and register stats, or being able to use it real time when riding? You make the real time part a key feature of the app, but maybe it isn't and this isn't the app for you?

Do You have the link to YT movie showing how Apple Watch works now with DarknessBot in full sunlight for speed/power/temperature/battery + time ?  I am interested to see it in action. 

No need to shout here. I can perfectly read your question.

I don't know why you get all excited about this. It's like going to Audi and making a huge scene because they don't want to produce a RWD car. If you don't like it, get something else. There is a reason for everything, even if that reason is "I don't do it because I don't want to do it". No need to go crazy about it.

9 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

Anyone tested 45kph on the V10f yet?

I just tried to do this but I simply cannot find the setting. 

Anybody know if this is even possible? And if it is, where is this setting? I looked over everything on the app. 

If it can be done, I’ll test it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I just tried to do this but I simply cannot find the setting. 

Anybody know if this is even possible? And if it is, where is this setting? I looked over everything on the app. 

If it can be done, I’ll test it. 

Maybe it is only in the beta version of the app.

Just send me your V10F and I will test it for you :D 

On 6/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, Ilya Shkolnik said:

Send me logs please. Model is recognized in Device Settings?

For me too. Model is not recognized. I’ll send you the logs. 

@Ilya Shkolnik made the in-app purchase to view graphs and got an 'All Set' confirmation, but when I try to scroll the date range it asks me to buy graphs again.
Also for some reason when connected to my EUC (Tesla) the total milage just shows a spinner. If i turn it off and access in offline mode then I see the total mileage although it doesn't seem to update after being connected. Not sure where to turn to for support. Any ideas?

Cheers

Roo

Edited by Roo Williams