Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

24 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Tyre choice is a bit of a minor detail.  User can rectify them self.

Other concerns of quality, testing, seem to be more important.

Yup, but only if the euc is made to accomodate more than one option. We've seen in the past that VERY close fenders for one kind of tire, makes other options almost impossible. If designed to fit a few choices, I think the exact model that comes with the euc is kind of a moot point. I'd buy a different tire to fit my ride style in a heartbeat and not cry about it. Tires are easy. Connectors, screws, boards, torque, clearnce and others... not so much. Quality and testing first for sure!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Thanks @supercurio for the very concise bullet points describing what your personal account of the CST 6004 has been like fitted to the Sherman (could not have put it better myself!).

This will be of great help to riders who, due to the tire being challenging to come by, get a real incite into just how good it is, especially as it does work really well across multiple wheel brands/models/rim widths to my knowledge (4,000kms S18, 40mm wide rim in my case).

I feel sure that it could satisfy a broad cross section of potential S20 owners, on road and also to a certain degree off road!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I didn't expect the C6004 to win any poll since it's a niche tire at the moment, 

I hadn't heard of the tyre. I voted for it because out of the 3 shown it was the most suitable for on-road riding. Whilst I off road a lot, as long as the ground is dry an on-road tyre is the best compromise.

That solid band all the way around the middle... with little bits of tread that will end up making contact if the dirt/mud is soft enough.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PourUC said:

I hadn't heard of the tyre. I voted for it because out of the 3 shown it was the most suitable for on-road riding. Whilst I off road a lot, as long as the ground is dry an on-road tyre is the best compromise.

That solid band all the way around the middle... with little bits of tread that will end up making contact if the dirt/mud is soft enough.

I agree it's likely the best compromise for a factory tire for this reason.

What you highlighted explains the difference between the Facebook poll where only the tire references are listed (therefore favouring something similar sounding) vs the poll on these forums which includes pictures.

Then I'm sure that without picture, there has been plenty of confusion between K262 and K272.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I agree it's likely the best compromise for a factory tire for this reason.

What you highlighted explains the difference between the Facebook poll where only the tire references are listed (therefore favouring something similar sounding) vs the poll on these forums which includes pictures.

Then I'm sure that without picture, there has been plenty of confusion between K262 and K272.

The same picture is there on facebook too, but I'm not surprised the K262 wins there, it's the most common tire people talk about. 

It's a good tire, way better than the old bycicle tires, but there are drawbacks of it mentioned above. I'm sure way more people use EUCs on road rather than offroad, so the C6004 seem to be the best option.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ádám Szitás said:

The same picture is there on facebook too, but I'm not surprised the K262 wins there, it's the most common tire people talk about. 

It's a good tire, way better than the old bycicle tires, but there are drawbacks of it mentioned above. I'm sure way more people use EUCs on road rather than offroad, so the C6004 seem to be the best option.

I see, if you scroll down in FB comments you can see pictures there. Pretty hard to find.

The most voted tire on FB is the K272 however for reasons unknown (not the popular K262), and it's not possible to reliably guess the riding characteristics of a tire based on its external appearance.
I've never read someone's experience with it; it must be kind of noisy based on the thread pattern.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

that's what i wrote on fb :

k262 is the classic knobby, a beast offroad, nothing special on streets, less monouvrability and cornering radius, noisy, with a tilting behaviour that not all riders like

c6004 is solid, great protection for rim, amazing on streets and decent offroad, a bit heavy at 2.6kg

k272 (which i've not ridden) for sure is a good balance and a better option as default tire (remind me the cst c117 stock monster3 tire and the cst c113 that i like)

• Like 1

I'd like to see a poll of how rider will actually use their S20.  Primarily off-road trails, ~75% off-road & ~ 25% street, 50/50 off-road & street, ~25% off-road & ~75 % street, ~100% street.  I think this type of poll would be very informative.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, conecones said:

An off-road wheel deserves an off-road tire! My vote goes to K262. Why would anyone spec 5” suspension and then slap a street tire on it…keep this wheel off-road focused! Plenty of street specific wheels to choose from…

Yeah!!!…….. I Definitely couldn’t say it better myself :D 

12 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I would surmise that the bulk of buyers are road riders with a tiny bit of 'off-road'.  Whatever KS feels is the bulk of their riders, is what this wheel should cater too. Sell to the masses but alow it upgradeable for the fringes.

Why did you have to go and make scene? :angry:
It reminds me of the three US car companies. Chevy gets you excited about a Corvette and sell you a Camaro. Ford says this is the Mustang you will like it. And Chrysler asks you what you want and gives it to you. The problem is no matter how much you may want a 6 wheel drive mini truck with a 440 Hemi that goes 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. You would never actually buy one. 
My take is that the knobby tire works just fine for me on the pavement. The street tire is almost useless on wet grass. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I would surmise that the bulk of buyers are road riders with a tiny bit of 'off-road'.  Whatever KS feels is the bulk of their riders, is what this wheel should cater too. Sell to the masses but alow it upgradeable for the fringes.

The S20 is the first wheel with serious clearance for all potential tires. No few mm like so many other wheels!

4 minutes ago, Paul A said:

approx 200km range

We all know that's not happening:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Riders planning on using as predominantly off road might find S18 more than adequate and cheaper.

Not enough power for me. 5 minutes of action and the batteries are sagging. Good point though. My concern is that once we get enough power, is it going to be too heavy? I keep an eye on the high performers like Mike Leahy. What will it take for him to switch to a suspension wheel?

• Like 2

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)